• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

skiatomic

I'm genuinely curious if they go for a solid green chair opening or a TTB that counts on more going right/more production. From past performance they could get Green to Showoff or Hocus Pocus or Lower Carpet in this weather window and be solid. Top to bottom Carpet to Showoff adds, what, another 2000' of trail compared to just Green on down?
I’m ok with solid green opening. Tough weather pattern.

Have they stated one plan vs other yet?

Newpylong

Unless weather turns for the better IMO there aren't enough snowmaking hours for even a Green opening any time soon. A couple short windows that dip into the low 20s later this week and that's it. The rest is junk, but hopefully that changes.

slatham

Planned opening day is the 15th, so 10 days. 12 to the weekend.

Forecast model mayhem is causing even the medium range to be in question. For instance Saturday at 4am Euro has Rutland at 23, GFS 37! That is THiS coming Saturday, not the 17th! This is all caused by the long awaited but delayed pattern change that the models have been having trouble with. Pro meteorologists think the pattern does change and it gets colder and snowier, maybe starting this weekend. But jury is still out…..

One reason they may go for summit is because they may get windows up top while lower mountain temps are marginal, so better to make snow only up top than not at all. Obviously either way they need good temps down low. But I agree that if time is short and temps are good down low, focusing on Wand to Showoff off of Green makes sense.

Fingers crossed on pattern change. Some scenarios if it were to happen are rather fun……

KustyTheKlown

Planned opening day is the 15th, so 10 days. 12 to the weekend.

Forecast model mayhem is causing even the medium range to be in question. For instance Saturday at 4am Euro has Rutland at 23, GFS 37! That is THiS coming Saturday, not the 17th! This is all caused by the long awaited but delayed pattern change that the models have been having trouble with. Pro meteorologists think the pattern does change and it gets colder and snowier, maybe starting this weekend. But jury is still out…..

One reason they may go for summit is because they may get windows up top while lower mountain temps are marginal, so better to make snow only up top than not at all. Obviously either way they need good temps down low. But I agree that if time is short and temps are good down low, focusing on Wand to Showoff off of Green makes sense.

Fingers crossed on pattern change. Some scenarios if it were to happen are rather fun……

yea, single chair weather blog was getting super excited about blocking over Greenland forcing storms to stall over the northeast. but so far we just have today and tomorrow rain sitting on us.

tumbler

Single Chair blog is all hype. I've stopped reading it because he is generally wrong or grossly exaggerates the potential snow totals.

IceEidolon

Personally, if I was calling it I'd go for Green to Showoff first, but with rats up top to prep for a Plan B of Trick to Showoff. That's about the least snow possible to get both chairs viable, it lets you run a bunch of low E towers on middle/lower Trick potentially plus your portable low E and fans on Showoff as the weather improves, and if you end up not getting temps down low one day you just keep running the top of Carpet and Trick.

Just go out willing to shut off any Trick/Summit guns you need to for air to connect Green to Showoff to Green loading area, since you have to have that to open either option.

NYDB

Looks like about 48 hours of snowmaking temps from now until 15th. Wand To show off is about all they’ll be able to get I would think, if they are even able to open.
would love to see a route from the summit but I don’t think that’s possible with the current forecast.

Keelhauled

Well according to their alpine update they can't make snow anyway because the pipe from pond to pumphouse is partially plugged, so the temperatures are a moot point.

In other good news, Pfister has apparently stopped returning their calls.

tumbler

I can't believe they put that in writing on the website that Pfister won't return their calls. Good luck getting that lift done now.

NYDB

I can't believe they put that in writing on the website that Pfister won't return their calls. Good luck getting that lift done now.
Yeah wtf? I doubt pfister gives a shit but it seems super unprofessional to post that on your website. Frustration getting the best of them.

NYDB

Well according to their alpine update they can't make snow anyway because the pipe from pond to pumphouse is partially plugged, so the temperatures are a moot point.

In other good news, Pfister has apparently stopped returning their calls.
Yikes. Anyone hear anything about how the welding on the red chairs is going?

ThatGuy

Stated like a teenager whose crush won’t return their unrequited attention.
Hope that pond issue isn’t anything major…not looking good.

cdskier

Yeah wtf? I doubt pfister gives a shit but it seems super unprofessional to post that on your website. Frustration getting the best of them.

Agreed...the right way to say this would have been something more along the lines of "As for the quad, we're waiting to hear back from Pfister on a date when they will be able to resume working on it".

drjeff

Yikes. Anyone hear anything about how the welding on the red chairs is going?
My hunch is that no news likley isn't good news on that front all things considered.

Throwing a line in like "the the work on the Red is done and it will be ready to spin when the snow is there", or something similar would of been atleast something postive ops wise in that blog

With the snowmaking pipe feed from the pond, since based on pcitures I have seen posted, it doesn't seem like some large branch would of been close enough to the pond to be drawn into the feeder pipe, so I am wondering if it's something like not letting the soil in the base of the pond settle enough before filling and thus a bunch of mud got drawn into the pipe and created an obstruction, or maybe some rocks that may have been placed on the base on the pond near the intake were drawn into the pipe and created the obstruction?

Last edited: