• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Re: Red chair, they have two in-house welders, so this shouldn’t be an issue.

The pond pump is the unfortunate but not too unexpected result of not being able to test the system due to delay in pond completion and approval. Yes no way to predict this specific issue, but testing is done to catch these types of things - which ALWAYS crop up - in October, and they couldn’t do that.

How frustrating it is to have done all the pond work, and have all that water, and a working pump, but a broken connection. It’s easy for us to be Monday morning quarterbacks and critics, but I feel for Geoff and team who are working their butts off to get the mountain open.

machski

The pond pump is the unfortunate but not too unexpected result of not being able to test the system due to delay in pond completion and approval. Yes no way to predict this specific issue, but testing is done to catch these types of things - which ALWAYS crop up - in October, and they couldn’t do that.

How frustrating it is to have done all the pond work, and have all that water, and a working pump, but a broken connection. It’s easy for us to be Monday morning quarterbacks and critics, but I feel for Geoff and team who are working their butts off to get the mountain open.
I would agree, but at this point the over promising has definitely bit them in the backside. I know they are trying to do big things on what likely amounts to a shoestring budget. Let's just hope ma nature gives them a helping hand this point on this winter.

NYDB

What is your opinion of them publicly calling out pfister ? As people have said many times in this thread - it isn’t pfisters fault that black lift isnt complete. Pfister didn’t fuck up the engineering. I’m sure pfister has 10 different projects to complete pre Christmas on regional lifts.

AdironRider

And you all thought I was wrong when I said they didn’t have a lift, snowmaking or a deck by December. They’ve screwed up all three and struck out.

I wish Magic well but not with the current ownership and management team. They are clearly the problem.

At this point there is a high likelihood they are not opening until the new year, and frankly, at this point, if they even have summit access at all this year is unclear at this point.

This is a place that charges a premium for what they are at almost 100 bucks per day ticket and season passes the better part of a grand. Who is going to pay that moving forward?

Keelhauled

Capture2.JPG
I happened to have this tab still open. This morning they said they had divers on standby for the pipe. They later changed it this afternoon to something to the effect of hopefully we can get divers scheduled after the air compressor didn't clear the plug. Now they just say they're "systematically dealing with this new obstacle" and they're aiming for a 12/22 opening. I really wish that they would stop promising things to begin with.

x10003q

They need to change the name to "No Magic " as in we have no magic to get this stuff done and as in there will be no magic skiing this year. What's next - green chair burns out its motor?

skiatomic

And you all thought I was wrong when I said they didn’t have a lift, snowmaking or a deck by December. They’ve screwed up all three and struck out.

I wish Magic well but not with the current ownership and management team. They are clearly the problem.

At this point there is a high likelihood they are not opening until the new year, and frankly, at this point, if they even have summit access at all this year is unclear at this point.

This is a place that charges a premium for what they are at almost 100 bucks per day ticket and season passes the better part of a grand. Who is going to pay that moving forward?
What? Where are you getting the lift tickets and season pass numbers you quote? Still a value honestly at Magic. Come on.

People overreact a bit in here.

What exactly are they missing by not opening 12/17? And delayed a week.

Do we know the blockage…do we know the delay…or just assume worst.

They have had zero luck this year and I am not too worried about offending a professional lift installer that rarely shows up on schedule…with everything they are dealing with. Feelings of Pfister are low on priority list. He has been on job well before first shovel in ground on this, he should feel obligation too. Give me a break.

We are all curious and some part of us are rooting for Magic…the naysayers are good comic relief in meantime.

AdironRider

What? Where are you getting the lift tickets and season pass numbers you quote? Still a value honestly at Magic. Come on.

People overreact a bit in here.

What exactly are they missing by not opening 12/17? And delayed a week.

Do we know the blockage…do we know the delay…or just assume worst.

They have had zero luck this year and I am not too worried about offending a professional lift installer that rarely shows up on schedule…with everything they are dealing with. Feelings of Pfister are low on priority list. He has been on job well before first shovel in ground on this, he should feel obligation too. Give me a break.

We are all curious and some part of us are rooting for Magic…the naysayers are good comic relief in meantime.

This entire post reads more like a "stand by your man" thing than anything else.

Magic wants 90 bucks a day for day ticket, and 850 for a pass. That is exactly what "almost 100 a day and the better part of a grand for a season pass" means literally. They are by far the most expensive mountain amongst their direct competitors, which newsflash, aren't the majors or even Bromley (which is only 5 bucks more a day and actually operates somewhat efficiently with more amenities and way better infrastructure). Magic isn't even open 7 days a week.

Nevermind this concept of Pfister owes Magic to show up. It is the other way around champ. Magic fucked around with the only contractor willing to work with them for the peanuts they're paying (if they are actually paying which I seriously doubt they are. Or I should say were because there is no way Pfister is going to call them back now after being put on blast).

Magic ownership/management seriously must love the smell of their own farts to be that overconfident.

skiatomic

This entire post reads more like a "stand by your man" thing than anything else.

Magic wants 90 bucks a day for day ticket, and 850 for a pass. That is exactly what "almost 100 a day and the better part of a grand for a season pass" means literally. They are by far the most expensive mountain amongst their direct competitors, which newsflash, aren't the majors or even Bromley (which is only 5 bucks more a day and actually operates somewhat efficiently with more amenities and way better infrastructure). Magic isn't even open 7 days a week.

Nevermind this concept of Pfister owes Magic to show up. It is the other way around champ. Magic fucked around with the only contractor willing to work with them for the peanuts they're paying (if they are actually paying which I seriously doubt they are. Or I should say were because there is no way Pfister is going to call them back now after being put on blast).

Magic ownership/management seriously must love the smell of their own farts to be that overconfident.
Ok. Your inflation makes sense now, as it lines up with your inflationary comments.

850 in season purchase price for a season pass when everyone has already bought theirs at preseason prices is irrelevant.

84 online is NOT = 100. Basic math.

And they limit lift tickets.

Calm….calm down.

AdironRider

Words have meaning and matter and you clearly don't understand what "almost" or "the better part of" mean.

Magic keeps fucking up because people like you have the ski area equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome and let them get away with everything.

hughconway

Magic keeps fucking up because people like you have the ski area equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome and let them get away with everything.

Unfortunately, I agree with this 100%. The faithful have been blindly led off a cliff like lemmings for years and attack people for making honest assessments of what is going on at Magic.

I was chuckling to myself last night - but decided it wasn't worthy of a post - when I thought "Why does it even matter that magic can't get water from the pond to pump house with <screenname redacted, pick your favorite poster in this thread> around. He carries enough water for magic to drain that pond twice daily."

I don't say this for recognition, but outside of misidentifying newpylong a year or two ago, everything I have shared here has been 100% accurate. And most of it was delivered long before magic decided to actually tell you the truth. Yesterday's alpine update, as noted in this thread, changed at least 3 times yesterday with conflicting stories regarding the plan to unfuck their snowmaking operations. Just a timely example of the shit sandwich many here are happily and willingly eating year after year when Magicment acts surprised that not getting their projects done in the off season results in inability to provide summit skiing on xmas week. I don't know how anyone can even pretend to call magic a 'value' pass. It has an absolutely PREMIUM price tag when you consider cost and # of day open. $850 for a place that by design only opens 4 days a week, and is frequently unable to provide summit access before new years and usually wrap up operations in mid to late march. Stratton's strattitude pass is <$650 for 7 day a week skiing from thanksgiving until easter. There is no comparison. Even if that strattitude pass were $1050 it would still be a better value due to approx. 2x as many open days in a season.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Still a deal on IndyPass.
I'll go back once they open to the summit - the best NE skiing on that pass without driving an an extra 90 min.

Newpylong

Words have meaning and matter and you clearly don't understand what "almost" or "the better part of" mean.

They keep fucking up because of (insert any number of reasons). It's unrelated to "people letting them get away with everything".

There is a lot of unwarranted anger here towards others who are believed to be drinking the kool aid. Whether or not they are has had no bearing on Magic's inability to complete projects in a timely fashion. The I told you so's are tiresome.

Last edited:

AdironRider

They keep fucking up because of (insert any number of reasons). It's unrelated to "people letting them get away with everything".

There is a lot of unwarranted anger here towards others who are believed to be drinking the kool aid. Whether or not they are has had no bearing on Magic's inability to complete projects in a timely fashion. The I told you so's are tiresome.

I disagree. I would like to think they would be incentivized to get their damn act together if people weren't so quick to say it isn't their fault when it clearly is.