• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

urungus

Back up plan pump working. Targeting a Sunday opening if adequate accumulation, which is forecasted but let’s see what verifies. No skinning or hiking prior. Running Red is the plan. Hope this storm delivers!
So after all the histrionics, we have a working pump and are looking at opening only 3 days late with summit access and a completed new deck ?

Newpylong

well I'm a passholder so they already have my money. not sure what other money they want from me.ive volunteered my time several work days as well over the years.

and southern VT has zero base heading into this storm. not sure where else you could go to uphill besides trails that are well kept. I know there are 2 defunct ski areas near by that if there is enough snow I will head there on Sat or hit stratton on the kidderbrook side. just looking for some exercise and practice.

if they want no uphilling that's fine with me. just don't use snowmaking as an excuse.

also, I'm sure there will be people at magic on Friday and Saturday uphilling no doubt. some will get a pass since they are friends with management.

Snowmaking is not an excuse. I've seen more skinners come down and run over my hoses and 480V cables than I care to mention. Then there's nearly getting hit in the middle of the night numerous times when they come down with only a headlight on on pitch black trails.

They probably have hoses and equipment out that's gonna be below the snow from this storm. It's a liability.

Last edited:

ne_skier

So after all the histrionics, we have a working pump and are looking at opening only 3 days late with summit access and a completed new deck ?
Sounds about right - even if this snow isn't enough to open the typically ungroomed runs, it'll give the mountain a great head start for groomed terrain (We weren't even at the summit until after Christmas last year, and that was on 1 trail) and since the snow is of the dense and wet variety, it should serve as a great base for future snowfall. Not much else you can ask for when you find yourself skiing Magic double-blacks before the new year if I do say so myself. There does appear to be more precipitation coming before Christmas, hopefully it's cold and snowy, unlike most Christmas weather we've gotten lately...

ne_skier

12” down at noon and Magic says it’ll keep going into the night (OpenSnow agrees), still no Saturday opening but Sunday won’t be one to miss…hitting Bromley Saturday

WoodCore

Currently nuking snow at magic.

Already 16" when they cleaned the gauge around 4pm plus this....

IceEidolon

Partial power outage at Magic per FB. Kick in the teeth if the utility can't fix that by Sunday.

NYDB

alternatively- they were handed a gift snow storn and were completely bailed out of all the snowmaking pond errors with 20+ inches of snow. Yet they still couldn't manage to open on a Saturday 2 days after they were schedule to open with snow coverage not being an issue?

Last edited:

Newpylong

Did they have a giant hamster wheel on top of the bull wheel we don't know about? How were they going to open today even if they wanted without power?

The remainder of your comment shows no regard for the operational difficulties of going from "we're dead in the water" to "we're going to give it a shot if we get enough snow" for a small operation.

This of all things is not worthy of docking them points on. The snow isnt going anywhere. Sunday is fine, if there's power.

bigbob

Did they have a giant hamster wheel on top of the bull wheel we don't know about? How were they going to open today even if they wanted without power?

The remainder of your comment shows no regard for the operational difficulties of going from "we're dead in the water" to "we're going to give it a shot if we get enough snow" for a small operation.

This of all things is not worthy of docking them points on. The snow isnt going anywhere. Sunday is fine, if there's power.
His monicur is New York Dirt Bag so what do you expect? Clueless entitled a hole!

IceEidolon

Looked like a good crowd based on Facebook pics. It's nice when it all comes together.

JoeB-Z

It was wonderful today. The snow depth is not to be believed. Everything was open. I saw tracks on Pitch Black. Green was ski on and Green Line looked great if you wanted a mini-adventure. Or the woods to skiers right from there. It looked like they mobilized many patrollers to take a quick run on everything to open it. The critical guy just needs to bag it.

NYDB

There are so many AZ regulars that have ZERO concept of mtn ops realities
except I actually worked at K for a bunch of years.
it's the difference between a professional organization and an amateurish organization.

they didn't know about the power issues before we they delayed opening to Sunday.. nice try on that one @Newpylong.

even magic insider @slatham said they would be open Saturday In a comment last week.

whatever. truly happy they had a good opening. see y'all next week.(unless there is some magic loving purity test I have to take before I pick up the passes)

Newpylong

it's the difference between a professional organization and an amateurish organization.

they didn't know about the power issues before we they delayed opening to Sunday.. nice try on that one @Newpylong.

even magic insider @slatham said they would be open Saturday In a comment last week.

whatever. truly happy they had a good opening. see y'all next week.(unless there is some magic loving purity test I have to take before I pick up the passes)

I didn't need to try because it was quite obvious. Saturday was the scheduled opening prior to the pond pump flying up it's own ass. That kinda thing puts a wrench in planning.

Last edited:

slatham

If I am an “insider” it’s only from a weather perspective, and from that purview they could have opened Saturday. But if you worked at K you will know there is sooo much more to do to open. I have since gained some insight into what was needed, and to be honest, with the power outage on Saturday, I am very surprised they could actually open today. They did so only due to late night/ early morning selfless effort from management and staff alike. That, my friend, is professional, and far from amateur.

Meanwhile, some of the well-funded “professional” areas are having their owns troubles too. Its a tough business. Again, if you worked at the Beast you should know that.

WoodCore

Hate to bring this up and I could be entirely wrong but I would not count on the "workaround@the pond" lasting more than a few hours. Lots of leaks in that flexible connecting hose.....

Attachments

• Tragic 12152022.jpg
    Tragic 12152022.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 53

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

lol Killington couldn't make snow today as well because GMP asked them not to due to all the issues with the grid.

No fault on Magic. Shit happens and it's how you deal with it that determines how good of an operation you are.

Newpylong

Hate to bring this up and I could be entirely wrong but I would not count on the "workaround@the pond" lasting more than a few hours. Lots of leaks in that flexible connecting hose.....

That picture looks to be from last week. They've likely replaced it with mining hose.