• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

Magic has a dismal snow report today due to an inversion. They took Monday skiing off the calendar. It would seem Sunday is very sketchy.

slatham

Overnight snow loss was amazingly disappointing. Sorcerer went from very good to barely makeable in 24 hours. Hopefully they have enough to keep Green running.

Models consistent with colder air mass arriving Thursday, so there is hope for the weekend of Jan 7th if they can get 36+ hours of snowmaking, and the system runs ok.

doublediamond

Thanks for the info up thread. While we’re talking about snowmaking, do they have a 100 and 200 line too? 500?

IceEidolon

There used to be a 200 line for the learning area, but that's been gone for a decade plus.

NYDB

looking again at the forecast, they should be able to resurface beginner area, park and main base area and probably get Wand to showoff back online by next weekend. I think that would be best case scenario for them.

skithetrees

looking again at the forecast, they should be able to resurface beginner area, park and main base area and probably get Wand to showoff back online by next weekend. I think that would be best case scenario for them.
Agreed. It’s a real shame. All natural snow will probably be gone by the weekend. I am eternally positive, but is hard to be when the skiing is what it was today. Second weekend in January and we are only going to be skiing the green chair, if even that. Current report says they will start making snow Friday night—not sure how that will work for a Saturday opening. They have three months to make money and are blowing two of the three best opportunities (MLK and Christmas) yet again. If it wasn’t a holiday weekend, they probably wouldn’t have even opened today, the skiing was that thin in places. But at least they banked a bunch of snow in the snow park for the broken handle tow. The deck is nice, but make sure the other stuff works first. I want to bring friends here, but is hard when I have to time it to a snow storm and I am fielding questions every year about when will the quad be ready—I tell them every year it will be next year.

Last edited:

NYDB

why no blt on 1/1?

I figure they would have a decent nfl bar crowd at least. open at 11 for bloodys . I'm sure you could make 10k.

Magic has been described to me multiple times as a bar with a ski area attached.

Bubba

Agreed. It’s a real shame. All natural snow will probably be gone by the weekend. I am eternally positive, but is hard to be when the skiing is what it was today. Second weekend in January and we are only going to be skiing the green chair, if even that. Current report says they will start making snow Friday night—not sure how that will work for a Saturday opening. They have three months to make money and are blowing two of the three best opportunities (MLK and Christmas) yet again. If it wasn’t a holiday weekend, they probably wouldn’t have even opened today, the skiing was that thin in places. But at least they banked a bunch of snow in the snow park for the broken handle tow. The deck is nice, but make sure the other stuff works first. I want to bring friends here, but is hard when I have to time it to a snow storm and I am fielding questions every year about when will the quad be ready—I tell them every year it will be next year.
I get the frustration, I’m with you. But a comparable Mtn to Magic is Mad River and they have suspended ski operations today as well. If they don’t get a storm by next weekend they won’t open either. They cannot help this weather pattern.

AdironRider

The only thing comparable between Magic and Mad River is that both places have basically zero snowmaking currently.

Bubba

The only thing comparable between Magic and Mad River is that both places have basically zero snowmaking currently.
You ever ski Magic? You ever ski Mad River? You ever make it off the groomers? The terrain is very similar. Also the local community is similar. And Magic has a better bar.

slatham

Thanks. Do you have a piping map for them?

No. But my recollection from that section is via hiking/glade clearing. And BTW that "upper" black line pipe doesn't seem connected to anything. Seems the line comes down Witch and Blackline and dead-ends just after the ledges section, where the 300 line goes up to before heading east to the traverse, through Wand, into Showoff.

foofy

You ever ski Magic? You ever ski Mad River? You ever make it off the groomers? The terrain is very similar. Also the local community is similar. And Magic has a better bar.
Yes, yes, and yes. Disagree on all three of your assessments.