• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Newpylong

It was 25 at the base and dry, but not entirely sure the real reason. Maybe they are still having water issues I don't know. Logic would say more air for a warm up, not less. Considering the mountain doesn't have enough snow to open I would be going balls to the wall anywhere I could to get one of the two chairs running.

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Photos from today from up top with Carpet down through Medium online - that's sure not nothing.

slatham

They showed pic of UMC with rats running and medium with HKD towers. With HKD’s requiring high water pressure, they usually don’t run them up top. And of course medium has fixed equipment. So portable HKD’s not needed until they work their way down. And of course the bottom 300 line has fans, which have been going based on cam. They did run some portable HKD towers in the terrain park per cam.

Obviously going for UMC, Medium, Wand, Showoff.

We need the weekend storm to deliver on the back end. First storm is snow to rain Thur night/Friday. Some indications a second storm forms mid Atlantic and heads up with SoVT on colder west side. Could deliver. Highly uncertain.

ne_skier

UMC -> Medium -> Wand -> Showoff plus terrain park and beginner carpet area for Thurs-Sun. Hope they're right about the crowds this weekend or that'll burn out quick.
Pray for snow

slatham

Hopefully they’ll turn the guns back on after the rain when they get the temps Saturday.

They’ll get temps Friday evening straight through to Sunday, maybe to Monday. The big question is how much repair vs moving to new terrain?

IceEidolon

My question is what the priorities are - beginner terrain from Green or Trick from the summit or what.

JoeB-Z

It was really ok today considering. I only skied from the top once because there was heavy icefog until you got to the top of Green. Showoff will need help on Friday night/Saturday as they barely got it done.

IceEidolon

probably carumba to lower red line then lower magic carpet.
Carumba/Lower Red they don't like to run when they make on the upper mountain, and it's the same pump they have to use for, say, the rest of Upper Carpet. I think the Upper Carpet and Trick area is likely next, then Lower Carpet or Carumba.

slatham

Yes my guess, if they can run both 300 and 400, is 300 on Showoff until base adequate, then Hocus Pocus. 400 line on Upper Tick and MC "Through the woods".

IceEidolon

At least Showoff can run with any other trail and without using much/any hill air, since it's both on a different pump and has electrical power for fan guns.

drjeff

Showoff will likely be getting that needed gun time soon, as next weekend Showoff is scheduled to host a Southern VT Council U10 dual GS

IceEidolon

Huh. That could actually bump Carumba up the list - I imagine Carumba/Lower Red is the easiest way to keep GP access to the base area while closing Showoff.

IceEidolon

Hocus is something like three times as much area as Carumba just from Black over to the Park side - and they probably can't even use the fans to help much, since Showoff needs to be race ready.

I'm not making the call, but if I was I'd either grab Carumba, Trick, Upper Carpet, in that order, or hit Lower Carpet + Vertigo and then Upper Carpet and maybe Upper Trick if I thought I had time before the race. Hocus is just too wide to cover well, and it benefits from fans making cheap snow that'll be available later. Either way, keep the Red Lift terrain they have now accessable without Showoff first, then add a Summit beginner option and more non-race intermediate terrain.