• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Luckily they did a minimal groom yesterday so most trails were left to properly drain and thus had better material for the groomers to work with for today. That will matter less tomorrow with a 2nd groom. Skied Potter after patrol manually broke the crust, and then helped on Pixie Dust. Decent snow under crust. They plan a major groom tonight and I saw the yellow cat coming down Tali as I left around 5:30. Hopefully enough base to allow that and others like Sorcerer to open.

Good conditions considering, and tomorrow will not suck especially with warmer temps softening things up,

JoeB-Z

It was fine yesterday and I presume better today. I'm skipping today because they hit the ticket limit and I hate lines. In addition to Wizard, Trick skied nicely. Any reports on Talisman and Sorceror after grooming? How about Magician?

RustyGroomer

Super fun day. Broomstick to Magician was open. Talisman Sorcerer too. Sleeve skied great as always.

Crowded but not terrible by any means. Trails certainly were not.

NYDB

It was great today. and definitely a good business day for the mountain.

the weather was superb and the snow was great where the groomer hit it and skiers and riders were chopping up some of the ungroomed on the sides which softened up a bunch by end of day as well.

hard freeze tonight will probably stiffen up some of the ungroomed again but should be a good day Sunday

Bubba

Waiting for it to warm up a bit & heading over. Anyone else?
Well Sunday turned out to be a helluva day. Got some of the crust broken up to ski some steep favorites. Had to stay on your toes, but Black Line was a blast and Tali and Sorcerer skied great. That base isn’t going anywhere for a while. Just saw they blew in Upper Wizard and the Chute and have moved on to Tali. We’ll need a storm to get back on the steep naturals as it’s likely frozen coral reef at this point. All and all the weekend went way above expectations.

RustyGroomer

I may have "responsibilities" as well. Meaning i'm too much a wimp to ski on a groomer day in the real cold. Sunday looks like it could be a fine day...

Til then..

My friends & i, late 80's. Just restored from the vault.

Last edited:

Smellytele

I may have "responsibilities" as well. Meaning i'm too much a wimp to ski on a groomer day in the real cold. Sunday looks like it could be a fine day...

Til then..

Which one is you?
Amazing we are all alive after years with out helmets. :)

RustyGroomer

My best “scenes” are the heli-daffy attempt along with the double heli attempt in my Nevica jacket. :)

Shredmonkey254

My best “scenes” are the heli-daffy attempt along with the double heli attempt in my Nevica jacket. :)
Loved skiing there back then! That snowboarder is pretty good for late 80’s, wondering if you knew him. Did he start wearing a one piece outfit with bats all over it? We used to all him “Batman, The Smurf” in the lift line while playing Trivial Pursuit for bags of Smartfood which were thrown from lifeguard chairs by the folks who organized the lift line and yelled out the questions. Good times!

RustyGroomer

I knew or know everyone in that video. This guy is definitely not the Batman. Don't remember him. I'm also confident this crew ate more Smartfood & Twix bars than any in Magic history. :) Very fun times.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

Til then..

Rusty this is so cool.

I want to share this in our forum too (hope that is ok) but I am getting this:

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 8.41.43 AM.png

Any ideas?

RustyGroomer

It's a Youtube vid so my buddy who created it would encourage sharing i'd think. As far as how? I just copied youtube link.

Smellytele

Was there today. Started out cold and firm but the sun came out around 12:30 and the afternoon was great, Skied twilight zone a couple of times and goniff glades and both were great. Best runs of the day, Also Red line skied great after the magic freestyle team skied it twice to break up the crust. I thanked them from the lift.