• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

They closed down for the day at 2PM with a 5 hour to power estimate. There was power to the lodge at that time but the wind remained strong.

slatham

Weather sucker punches just keep coming. Forecast not looking good. Need a change or Feb is a write off and we're hoping for a miracle March.......

RustyGroomer

Haha. Slide was "fun" anyway i thought. Never thought to look up it. Doesn't look so good from that angle. Great to have it open nonetheless...

ne_skier

Slide had good coverage and didn't ski bad, I was waiting for it to soften up but unfortunately the sun didn't get too much done on that or Talisman. Middle Wizard however was pretty icy and varied between hardpan chunk on the flatter parts and icy thin cover bumps on the steeper parts (around the turn past Potter entrance).

Does anyone know the state of snowmaking on Middle and Lower Wizard? I know there's tower guns on the middle part and air/water valves on lower, yet it's been a while since I've seen that run fully coated and groomed out. Although I'm the kind of guy to ski ungroomed start to finish when conditions cooperate, I've always liked Wizard top to bottom as a nice end-of-day long cruiser. Ditto w/ Up Your Sleeve.

Newpylong

Not likely to see Middle hit it until their pumping capacity is increased. Wizard (Upper) s largely delegated to just access the other West Side trails and get you out of them (Lower) and not as a thru route even though it's great T2B.

tnt1234

Toying with a Magic trip weekend of 3/3. Now in the forecast the week prior as of now.

Anyone been recently? Would a few inches make the goods skiable?

ne_skier

Skied Bromley on Saturday, but having looked at the mountain driving on Rt. 11 towards Londonderry and from skiing there last weekend, I can say the situation doesn't look great - the trails which haven't had snow made on them recently (most everything except Upper Magic Carpet, Medium, Trick, Wand, Showoff, Carumba, Lower Red Line, the Terrain Park, and Wizard to Talisman excluding the Lower Wizard runout) are bare in places but are mostly hanging on to a crusty layer of natural snow, just enough for any new snow to cling onto.
This week looks to be mostly below freezing with the possibility of some piecemeal snow throughout. I'm not a snowmaking expert nor do I fully grasp the concept of "wet bulb" but hopefully this should be an opportunity to build up base in case it starts warming up. Not sure what the capacity situation is after the whole pump leak and replacement pump situation, but I know they've been able to make plenty of snow on the aforementioned trails (although I don't believe LMC or Vertigo have been hit this year). Top of the list of hopes though is of course a surprise March dump - been a minute since we've had one of those.

Last edited:

slatham

Well at least there’s some snow (Tuesday) and a net gainer (maybe significant) Thur. Just need cold and snowy pattern to hold for more than a week.

IceEidolon

As far as LMC goes that's like 4500 linear feet of snow, with no fan guns and no tower guns - given the weather, it's understandable it's still natural only.

That said, I'd of course like to see Vertigo and LMC receive some tower guns over the next couple summers, but I want to see several semis of orange guns pulling up at Magic so that's kind of a given. LMC is a pretty important trail early season/during holidays/for non-expert skiers.

slatham

As far as LMC goes that's like 4500 linear feet of snow, with no fan guns and no tower guns - given the weather, it's understandable it's still natural only.

That said, I'd of course like to see Vertigo and LMC receive some tower guns over the next couple summers, but I want to see several semis of orange guns pulling up at Magic so that's kind of a given. LMC is a pretty important trail early season/during holidays/for non-expert skiers.

Yes, LMC is very long and takes lots of time. The biggest issue is the separate pump "lines", not the lack of stationary tower guns. LMC is on the 400 line, so once UMC/Medium/Trick/Wand are done, it competes in the "what's next argument" with Carumba (for alternative to Showoff when races are occurring) and Tali (THE signature trail). If its December, and you have the window, you hit LMC. If it's after the holidays, like this year, you need Carumba, and then have to go west.

The 300 line is only Showoff, Hocus Pocus, Terrain Park, Beginner and base area. This is how UMC/Medium/Wand/Show Off gets done relatively quickly - it uses both 400 and 300 lines simultaneously. What needs to be done IMHO - and I have NO IDEA whether it's feasible - is to connect the two lines so both pumps can send water through all pipes.

Another possible alternative is to connect the 300 line to the lower half of LMC (below 33 1/3) and lower Wizard. That way you can use 400 on Carpet from Green lift to 33 1/3, and 300 line from there down, simultaneously. Liklewise, you can use 400 for UWiz and Tali, and 300 for Lower Wizard (and perhaps the Tali runout), again, simultaneously.

Just need Newpylong to chime in, and probably shoot all kinds of holes in my theory LOL.......

THINK SNOW. There IS potential, Winter is NOT over!

tnt1234

Trying to avoid driving further north should this snow actually hit, but yeah, seems unlikely magic will be worth it short of a monster dump next week.