• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

tnt1234

I would be skiing saturday and sunday, so magic both days, or magic saturday and broomly sunday....

if the forecast holds, Friday's storm should open up everything I would think.

How quickly do they sell out?

Last edited:

ne_skier

Opensnow showing 4-8 tonight and 5-9 Friday night. Combine the two and take the average and you come to a foot this week. Would likely be enough to open everything short of Upper Magician and Black Magic

Bubba

I would be skiing saturday and sunday, so magic both days, or magic saturday and broomly sunday....

if the forecast holds, Friday's storm should open up everything I would think.

How quickly do they sell out?
Magic skied fantastic this weekend. They were laying down more snow than I have ever seen at one time. Wizard whales skied amazing Saturday, but they messed that up with a half ass groom of it before Sunday. Went from trail of the day to unskiable. Gonif and Twilight were the place to be on Sunday. Thanks to the Free Ride kids for breaking in the crust layer on Sorcerer, Gonif and Twilight so the rest of us could have great snow to shred. The snow coming in this week should set them up for a full on weekend!

slatham

Middle Wizard has seen snowmaking before but its been 3-4 years I'd say?

Hearing senior management has the same view I have - Sorcerer better left natural.........

I'm predicting a special powder day opening Wednesday, and more Pow on Saturday, if only because I can't be there (no sympathy, I'll be in Taos, if the plane can take off tomorrow morning that is.....)

ne_skier

Wouldn't hate seeing Sorcerer get snow made on it but I agree that when natural snow is there Sorcerer is way better bumped up than groomed out. In general I think Magic has a good sense of what to groom and what to leave natural, although I will say that having bumps on Broomstick makes it ski way less like a waterslide than when it's groomed.

Personally I'm hearing Saturday will be terrible, unless someone gives you free tix you should definitely ski Stratton or Bromley instead, don't waste your time here ;)

Bubba

Wouldn't hate seeing Sorcerer get snow made on it but I agree that when natural snow is there Sorcerer is way better bumped up than groomed out. In general I think Magic has a good sense of what to groom and what to leave natural, although I will say that having bumps on Broomstick makes it ski way less like a waterslide than when it's groomed.

Personally I'm hearing Saturday will be terrible, unless someone gives you free tix you should definitely ski Stratton or Bromley instead, don't waste your time here ;)
Most folks are in agreement snowmaking on Sorcerer is a terrible idea. Some things are better left natural. We have Tali for spring bumps.

ne_skier

Does Kinderspiel have snowmaking? I recall skiing that trail with wall-to-wall coverage during the Covid winter with very few ruts in the surface, maybe we really did get a lot of snow that year.

Bubba

Does Kinderspiel have snowmaking? I recall skiing that trail with wall-to-wall coverage during the Covid winter with very few ruts in the surface, maybe we really did get a lot of snow that year.
That was a noticeably rutless year.

Newpylong

It's far too late in the season to be starting another trail especially when so much was spent on the pond pump bandaid.

Sorcerer makes sense in a lean snow year when the temps are agreeable. If the temps aren't agreeable it's kinda hard to not hit Talisman as it's required for events.

I'm looking forward to seeing Witch to Black line get a coating eventually now that that snowmaking has been repaired. Not sure if that will ever happen with Matt gone though. He seemed like the driving force for all of the "restorations".

slatham

It's far too late in the season to be starting another trail especially when so much was spent on the pond pump bandaid.

Sorcerer makes sense in a lean snow year when the temps are agreeable. If the temps aren't agreeable it's kinda hard to not hit Talisman as it's required for events.

I'm looking forward to seeing Witch to Black line get a coating eventually now that that snowmaking has been repaired. Not sure if that will ever happen with Matt gone though. He seemed like the driving force for all of the "restorations".
Although note they just did middle Wizard this past weekend. Although not as steep it has more linear feet than Sorcerer. But at his point terrain expansion via snowmaking is over.

IceEidolon

If you have to choose between Middle Wizard and Sorcerer to pair with Talisman, I'd also pick Wizard. If they speed up the snowmaking rollout, getting a base underneath natural snow for Sorcerer still seems like a good idea to me - but not this year.

I think with new Ops management we might see different priorities for trail rehab work, but I doubt it will stop entirely. There's at least Witch, Black Line, and Mystery for out-of-service pipe...

tnt1234

Sure hope the precip. thursday doesn't ruin things. Looking good for Friday night> Sat.

ThatGuy

Might crust up the natural trails a bit but the groomers should be very nice. Saturday will be great if 6”+ come through.

Newpylong

Although note they just did middle Wizard this past weekend. Although not as steep it has more linear feet than Sorcerer. But at his point terrain expansion via snowmaking is over.
Yes but look at the temps they had. No way they would have done that without them.

Newpylong

If you have to choose between Middle Wizard and Sorcerer to pair with Talisman, I'd also pick Wizard. If they speed up the snowmaking rollout, getting a base underneath natural snow for Sorcerer still seems like a good idea to me - but not this year.

I think with new Ops management we might see different priorities for trail rehab work, but I doubt it will stop entirely. There's at least Witch, Black Line, and Mystery for out-of-service pipe...

Agreed.

Witch and Black are back in service from my recollection. Mystery is it...

tnt1234

Might crust up the natural trails a bit but the groomers should be very nice. Saturday will be great if 6”+ come through.
Hoping for more than just groomers. Have till tomorrow to decide if we stick with Magic or make the drive to stowe.

Friday looks like more than 6" right now...

First world problem I realize, where to ski...

ThatGuy

How long are the drives for each?

Saturday I would expect pretty much everything except the real steeps open at Magic.

NYDB

yeah probably everything open except magician and black magic if this 9-12" works out fri night into sat. especially if it's dense enough.

Sandman30

I was at Magic on Sunday it was pretty great (west side was a total wash, we hit one icy run getting blasted by the snowmaking). Everything open on the East Side was a blast, a little thin in places but more than manageable. Wish I could get back up there, this weekend looks like it will be even better.