• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

Deep powder but not the goopy wet stuff we got in December. 15-20 minute lines at Red but well worth it. First time skiing Upper Magician, Pitch Black and Black Magic in a while

ThatGuy

Be there tomorrow. Can’t wait…
If you see a guy in a blue jacket, blaze orange hat and chest mount say hello

ne_skier

Luckily skiing Black Magic while double-releasing after every cliff tends to even out the line/ski ratio. Snow report says to expect much of the same in terms of crowds today.

NYDB

Luckily skiing Black Magic while double-releasing after every cliff tends to even out the line/ski ratio. Snow report says to expect much of the same in terms of crowds today.
lines are worse today. I got some good runs in tho.
20230305_095247.jpg
may need to tweak those ticket limits with no black lift.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

lines are worse today. I got some good runs in tho.

may need to tweak those ticket limits with no black lift.
Yeah kind of absurd that of all things they raised the amount of tickets sold today…

Lines are the worst I’ve seen and I’ve seen some busy days, clocked it at half an hour wait.
D4E369A4-CFA4-4BDC-82D7-CE967489F073.jpeg
A3FA4306-F67D-42E1-B3E6-E33128B61A4F.jpeg

Bubba

Definitely not the busiest. This happens a handful of time a season at Magic. This wait is commonplace at many other ski areas in S Vt. NBD!

ThatGuy

Bubba I’ve skied here plenty to know what the crowds are like….
The fact is there are a couple times (if that) a season (whenever it snows) that the lines are like this…thats when the Black is desperately needed.
Also a fact that everyone knows these days will be busy so why are we raising the ticket cap…

Bubba

Bubba I’ve skied here plenty to know what the crowds are like….
The fact is there are a couple times (if that) a season (whenever it snows) that the lines are like this…thats when the Black is desperately needed.
Also a fact that everyone knows these days will be busy so why are we raising the ticket cap…
That’s exactly what I said. So knowing this and still complaining is pissing into the wind. Ticket limits were very minimally raised. You chose to ski Magic today knowing what it would be like. That doesn’t sound like a Magic issue to me.

ThatGuy

If this is who I think it is, you’re ski patrol (and I greatly appreciate you) so the line isn’t much of a factor for you…
30+ min lift wait sucks anywhere, Magic doesn’t make it more bearable just because of the “vibe”.
Yes I know I am part of the crowd…the mountain does need business. There is a difference between reasonable daily caps (which are arguably too high as displayed a few times a season) and locking the mountain down to season passholders.

Just making an observation either way, conditions are great and I’m having a blast, long waits be damned…
5995D513-F0CA-4161-8A74-1F59B1B6BA1C.jpeg

Bubba

If this is who I think it is, you’re ski patrol (and I greatly appreciate you) so the line isn’t much of a factor for you…
30+ min lift wait sucks anywhere, Magic doesn’t make it more bearable just because of the “vibe”.
Yes I know I am part of the crowd…the mountain does need business. There is a difference between reasonable daily caps (which are arguably too high as displayed a few times a season) and locking the mountain down to season passholders.

Just making an observation either way, conditions are great and I’m having a blast, long waits be damned…
View attachment 57207
Yes, 30 minute lift lines suck. No one is saying a vibe can cure that. As someone who says they ski Magic a lot, you could probably have guessed today was going to be as busy as it gets. But again, go to any other Mtn on their busiest days and the lines will be as long if not longer, this not unique to Magic. Also, the lines have been closer to 20 minutes, and that’s just a fact. No need to exaggerate. Enjoy the snow while it’s here. Come back on Thursday you’ll be able to ski onto the lift and conditions will be about the same.

ne_skier

7E09204E-BFCD-424F-BEC1-86AB6A92F37B.jpeg
Timed at 40 minutes at 11. Bring your snowshoes…
Are these the longest lines I’ve ever waited in here? Yeah. Is it worth it for the terrain? Also yeah. Would it be way better with Black running? Definitely yeah. Then again I’m taking Monday off for this and I have way worse things to bitch about

slatham

I have no insight into the ticket limit being increased, but one thing to remember is any such limit has zero affect on season pass holders. I am sure it's tough to figure out on any given day how many pass holders are going to show (typically I'd be there today) but I am confident based on my non-ski area management view that fewer pass holders show on Sunday vs Saturday. So perhaps, after a terrible season (well below normal skier visits) and with very little time left (really only 6 possible peak days INCLUDING this weekend, save a midweek pow day) that upping the day ticket limit seemed very logical.

Can't wait to hear the complaints next year about pow tracked out early now that Black is running. I am sure more than one person will comment "I'd rather stand in line but have pow all day". Mark my words......

In the meantime, let's enjoy what has been - and looks to continue to be - a streak of actual winter weather. When this one is over, it's over, full stop.

Bubba

I have no insight into the ticket limit being increased, but one thing to remember is any such limit has zero affect on season pass holders. I am sure it's tough to figure out on any given day how many pass holders are going to show (typically I'd be there today) but I am confident based on my non-ski area management view that fewer pass holders show on Sunday vs Saturday. So perhaps, after a terrible season (well below normal skier visits) and with very little time left (really only 6 possible peak days INCLUDING this weekend, save a midweek pow day) that upping the day ticket limit seemed very logical.

Can't wait to hear the complaints next year about pow tracked out early now that Black is running. I am sure more than one person will comment "I'd rather stand in line but have pow all day". Mark my words......

In the meantime, let's enjoy what has been - and looks to continue to be - a streak of actual winter weather. When this one is over, it's over, full stop.
Excellent point. Most of us are on this page because we like to ski Magic. If they can’t make money, there won’t be a Magic. Believe me, I loved the days of Wild West Magic: rope ducking, dogs riding chairlifts, mid Mtn snow bars, and empty parking lots. Weird that didn’t last.