• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Newpylong

I hate to say it but the mountain needed that. Lots of unforeseen expenses this year and if high traffic for a couple days after a monster dump help them get paid then that is a small price to pay. Not two months ago there was doubt about even being able to open due to lifts and broken snowmaking.

SkiingInABlueDream

Vibe fixes everything. Man, if I were there right now I'd be so psyched to be standing in that line. Just knowing that I was part of a group of people who were cool enough not to go Stratton or Snow this weekend, I wouldn't even care of I only made 2 runs all day. In fact I'd be wishing they had sold even more tickets so that I be standing even longer in that line and sharing that liftline vibe with even more people😉🙃

Bubba

Vibe fixes everything. Man, if I were there right now I'd be so psyched to be standing in that line. Just knowing that I was part of a group of people who were cool enough not to go Stratton or Snow this weekend, I wouldn't even care of I only made 2 runs all day. In fact I'd be wishing they had sold even more tickets so that I be standing even longer in that line and sharing that liftline vibe with even more people😉🙃
I think I see you! Looks like you made out great at Mount Snow!

Attachments

• F461E9A7-846D-49C1-B69B-CAFE2E62E425.jpeg
    F461E9A7-846D-49C1-B69B-CAFE2E62E425.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 39

Bubba

Not a chance. I don't ski Mt Snow.(or Stratton or Okemo). (though there was that Friday storm day back in Dec where Stratton looked pretty good...)
Figured Blue Dream was eithe the Bubble Chair or the great strain. Guessing maybe the strain now?

SkiingInABlueDream

Figured Blue Dream was eithe the Bubble Chair or the great strain. Guessing maybe the strain now?
Nope, that's just coincidence. My screen name is a variation on a song title.

In all seriousness I am genuinely looking forward to skiing Magic again when Black is running and presumably there's an expedient singles line. Snow getting tracked faster will be a bummer FS but I can guarantee I won't be complaining about it. I'm generally averse to crowds (not just in skiing) and immensely averse to standing in lines so I'll happily take that trade off. The terrain remains interesting.

Bubba

Black is sorely needed. I will not pine for days of lower uphill capacity. Current capacity clearly cannot handle demand
I really don’t understand this. Yes, Black will be a great addition, and ease the lines on the busiest days. Are you also commenting on Mount Snow and Okemo pages that they “sorely” need to add a chairlift to get the wait times down? Current capacity has handled the demand for years, including this one. Black will be a luxury for Magic. Try having some perspective.

KustyTheKlown

you dont understand how magic needs to deliver on a long promised lift that would triple uphill capacity when any weekend with halfway decent snow has 20+ minute lines on their only summit access?

i don't ski at mount snow or okemo, because they are lame and also because epic pass causes its own horrific crowding. i ski at stratton when i need to and they move their crowds quite efficiently. just stay away from the gondola base. easy. 4 lifts serve the summit. i'm not saying the skiing is better at stratton than magic. solely pointing out the obvious that magic needs black to handle capacity on the days that are most worth skiing at magic.

Bubba

and they 'sorely need' black for redundancy to the summit. the red chair is old and has proven to be unreliable.
No, I completely understand the utility of Black and why it’s going to be a great addition. What I don’t understand is people complaining about reality. Magic is currently what it’s always been on crowded days. I also don’t understand people being being peeved enough to post about 20 minute lift lines. Were you at Stratton yesterday? My buddy was. He would have begged for 20 minutes.

cdskier

No, I completely understand the utility of Black and why it’s going to be a great addition. What I don’t understand is people complaining about reality. Magic is currently what it’s always been on crowded days. I also don’t understand people being being peeved enough to post about 20 minute lift lines. Were you at Stratton yesterday? My buddy was. He would have begged for 20 minutes.

It is fascinating seeing how people's perceptions vary so widely. I saw someone post on FB that they waited "no more than a couple minutes" in lines at Stratton yesterday. I wasn't there so I have no idea what reality was. I find it hard to believe there were virtually no lines at all at Stratton...but that's what this guy is claiming.

KustyTheKlown

no, i just got back from 13 days in idaho wyoming and utah and decided not to ski in new england this weekend. all i said in this thread was that i was pleased with my choice to not go and stand in lines. i'm not complaining, i knew what this weekend would be and chose not to go.

i've skied stratton 5 or 6 days this season. always on a weekend. including the big early season powder day. riding the singles line i never waited more than 10 minutes or so for all lifts except for gondola, which i dont ride. i am sure stratton was busy yesterday. i am also fairly confident in claiming that okemo and mount snow were worse.

ne_skier

I don’t think anyone’s saying that Magic is the only one with 20 minute lines on busy days. Regardless though, just because it’s apparently the status quo doesn’t mean that it’s not a problem. I’m sure most people would prefer 5 minute lines max on either lift. Vail’s resorts have major (and solvable) capacity issues of their own and I’m sure that neither Magic’s skiers or the ownership want to work at their standard. I

SkiingInABlueDream

It is fascinating seeing how people's perceptions vary so widely. I saw someone post on FB that they waited "no more than a couple minutes" in lines at Stratton yesterday. I wasn't there so I have no idea what reality was. I find it hard to believe there were virtually no lines at all at Stratton...but that's what this guy is claiming.
I suspect I saw the same post. I was very doubtful when I read it.

Bubba

It is fascinating seeing how people's perceptions vary so widely. I saw someone post on FB that they waited "no more than a couple minutes" in lines at Stratton yesterday. I wasn't there so I have no idea what reality was. I find it hard to believe there were virtually no lines at all at Stratton...but that's what this guy is
I don’t think anyone’s saying that Magic is the only one with 20 minute lines on busy days. Regardless though, just because it’s apparently the status quo doesn’t mean that it’s not a problem. I’m sure most people would prefer 5 minute lines max on either lift. Vail’s resorts have major (and solvable) capacity issues of their own and I’m sure that neither Magic’s skiers or the ownership want to work at their standard. I
Comparing Magics 3 days of 20 minute lift lines to Vails issues? You’re joking right? This is why we can’t have the internet. It’s the worlds “gripe box”. Folks, there are other places to ski. If skiing Magic triggers you to bitch about it online, perhaps you should explore one of the other areas? And if waiting in 20 minute lift lines ain’t your thing, I don’t blame you. Ski during the week. Sick days ain’t for being sick.

ne_skier

On the right side of your screen is a scroll bar which can be used to find the message where I said waiting in the lines was well worth it. Clearly you didn’t comprehend what I said so I’ll rephrase it: I do not think it makes sense to say Magic doesn’t really need Black on busy days and back it up by saying that Vail resorts have 20+ minute lines too, as though long lines don’t suck anywhere.
The last thing I am doing here is trying to badmouth Magic. Go though my post history and you’ll see that I have been one of the most ardent defenders of those guys, not just here but on LiftBlog too, where I’ve backed them up regarding the very Black Chair dilemma that we’re discussing now.

Bubba

On the right side of your screen is a scroll bar which can be used to find the message where I said waiting in the lines was well worth it. Clearly you didn’t comprehend what I said so I’ll rephrase it: I do not think it makes sense to say Magic doesn’t really need Black on busy days and back it up by saying that Vail resorts have 20+ minute lines too, as though long lines don’t suck anywhere.
The last thing I am doing here is trying to badmouth Magic. Go though my post history and you’ll see that I have been one of the most ardent defenders of those guys, not just here but on LiftBlog too, where I’ve backed them up regarding the very Black Chair dilemma that we’re discussing now.
Who is saying black isn’t going to be an upgrade? Post history is just that. My whole point is you have no one else to blame but yourself for waiting in 20 minute lines. Just like those who choose to pay $40 to park and ski Stowe. You know what you’re getting into. If you don’t like hot dogs don’t eat them.

urungus

Phenomenal day today. Sure, as expected, the lift lines were long, but probably best conditions I’ve ever experienced at Magic. Even found the nerve to ski the top part of Magician for the first time, rocks were almost completely buried by super soft bumps.

Wizard:
ABE00C8A-31AA-4D3A-9B50-997DE6C9A5B8.jpeg

Magician:
7C1F4E15-9B7F-4C05-A77A-61F4FA73C0D9.jpeg

98AB4032-12DF-4A21-B37C-17E0968B2784.jpeg

Talisman:
E1A87B88-692E-4A89-96ED-D439E67FF21A.jpeg

The Hallows:
96848DA4-4CE7-4C0D-93AE-FD08DF3B4C6C.jpeg

22725519-D290-4746-B894-DE1ABE4C20E6.jpeg

B67307A7-A382-4C1C-BA26-CFEEB7350FD8.jpeg

Last edited: