• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

skithetrees

Disappearing act may be one of the most underrated glades in the mountain. My kids love it and I can ski it with them and have a good time. Red is adequate for 90% of the weekends. Black will absolutely be an upgrade. However, what makes magic so amazing is the empty trails. Even on a day like today. I will gladly wait in a line for that.

tnt1234

Two great days at Magic.

Magician>Hallows was stellar.

Red Line was our first run Saturday, probably about a half dozen tracks before us. Phenomenal. Such a great trail.

Black line just got better and better.

Wardrobe was awesome...

Everything, just amazing.

The lines sucked. Made worse by reports from Stowe and SB sunday that they were ski-on to 10 minute wait.

But I think the S.Vt mega resorts were slammed. Saturday while driving from Manchester, there was a congo line of cars behind us. Ahead we were slowed by someone pulling a trailer. Had to be 25 cars behind us.

When we got to 100, every single one of them made teh turn for Okemo. Lol.

What a weekend though.

tnt1234

Wondering if they will maintain the ticket caps if they get black running next year...

Drove by Bromley on the way home yesterday and it didn't look crowded there.

NYDB

Wondering if they will maintain the ticket caps if they get black running next year...

Drove by Bromley on the way home yesterday and it didn't look crowded there.
per the seasons pass page they say yes, tickets will be limited even with black operational.

but I'm probably in the minority in thinking that if the black lift is operational, they should just run black and green on big holidays and weekends. and black only on powder days. red midweek and low snow weekends

Last edited:

tnt1234

per the seasons pass page they say yes, tickets will be limited even with black operational.

but I'm probably in the minority in thinking that if the black lift is operational, they should just run black and green on big holidays and weekends. and black only on powder days. red midweek and low snow weekends
Red is a classic. But I think their plan is to only use it for busy weekends, right?

JoeB-Z

I vaguely remember talk that the cap will go to 2000 from 1500 when the Black lift is added. It's vague because it might have come up 4 years ago!

ceo

I was there yesterday too, and it was pretty damned spectacular. Didn't even mind the lines that much, particularly after I found that the "low side" lines for Red chair were consistently shorter. (The woman running the lift corral was hilarious, kind of a traffic cop with ADD vibe.) Got in a little over my head in Voodoo glade and had quite a job getting my skis back on in that dense, sticky powder after an eject, but got out of there with all ligaments intact. Fun place, I really liked the rolling, varied terrain and friendly atmosphere.

ne_skier

Red is a classic. But I think their plan is to only use it for busy weekends, right?
Their original plan when they announced the purchase of the lift from Stratton was that Red would take priority on weekdays and early/late season weekends, while Black would take priority on peak weekends. I made a comment on Liftblog discussing my predictions on how this will play out that goes into further detail, but the topography of the base area favors Red over Black, in that the base area forms somewhat of a bowl with Red at the absolute bottom, and it would require a good bit of catwalking to get up to Black from the runs that empty out onto Lower Magic Carpet and leave you downhill of the T-Bar. Having skied a good bit at Belleayre I have seen plenty of near-misses where the Howe's Highway trail intersects with the runs between Belleayre Run and Yahoo, and while I'd hope that most Magic skiers have enough awareness to look uphill before crossing, I wouldn't want to have to deal with the 10% that don't.

AdironRider

What is the point of a ticket cap if you just raise it when you can sell more tickets? That isn’t a cap at all.

skithetrees

What is the point of a ticket cap if you just raise it when you can sell more tickets? That isn’t a cap at all.
Huh? They stopped selling tickets both days (I believe by 9 AM). They will raise the cap slightly when black is online. Once black is online, they will run out of parking way before they get unacceptable lift lines.

MG Skier

Huh? They stopped selling tickets both days (I believe by 9 AM). They will raise the cap slightly when black is online. Once black is online, they will run out of parking way before they get unacceptable lift lines.
Yes, Magic needs that lift online to make some money, and theoretically shorten some lines. YES parking will be a concern when they sell more tickets. Maybe some of us Mass-holes need to learn to commute together???

slatham

Report from today. Quick “lunch break” so I only got a 5 run sample.

Groomers - as good as they get. No ice or hard pack coming through, even on Tali.

Typical “Trouble spots” on steepest terrain are present. Everything was (or looked) skiable, just need to be on your toes. All the regular black diamonds were (or looked) sweet.

It is spring, with a high sun angle. Be aware of spots that get the sun - they will be crusty early, butta later.

Snow dances for a little something Friday night, and a potentially more meaningful snow on Monday night.

Needless to say best run of the year right now.

Carumba and Twilight.

Attachments

• 3329ADCA-C143-48AA-BC73-A4C67CEB0A60.jpeg
    3329ADCA-C143-48AA-BC73-A4C67CEB0A60.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 7570643F-AEA4-49F1-9EC5-A4ECE162DF30.jpeg
    7570643F-AEA4-49F1-9EC5-A4ECE162DF30.jpeg
    953.7 KB · Views: 12

ne_skier

This weekend might be the weekend to be there. Unfortunately I can't make it up, but it looks like after a little refresher early next week it will be much of the same the weekend after (fingers crossed).

RustyGroomer

So, when do we think a possible opening may be? In other words what day do I have to plant a seed here @ work I may not be around. Tuesday? Wednesday? I know too early to tell but some of you weather geeks speculate for me please.

I'll look for you Sunday Kusty.