• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

RH29

Here's what to expect groomed tomorrow from Magic's snow report. Obviously can't get to everything at once, especially with 3 feet of snow to work with, so it looks like they're packing it down in intervals, so to speak, with a priority on the low angle stuff.

View attachment 57554
Looks good but I'd love if they could run at least one track up to the bottom of Tali. That runout can be rough.

RustyGroomer

Brownie is the FKN man. Wait til you see the run outs. Best I’ve ever seen . Trenches @ the exits of most steeps to get back. He did an amazing job.

zoomzoom

in the event of a power failure, would a large backup genset be considered an APU by the state?

skiur

Look, could Magic insulate itself from grid outages? Sure, especially on Black they could add a full AUX and back up APU. Those are not cheap however, both to get/install and to maintain. Most of the time you see those setups on main lifts in the Detach realms. Beyond that, if Magic isn't a huge power customer (very doubtful given their smaller Snowmaking plant and few lifts), then they won't be prioritized during outage events. Just how it works.

Who would they get to install the backup?

slatham

Here's what to expect groomed tomorrow from Magic's snow report. Obviously can't get to everything at once, especially with 3 feet of snow to work with, so it looks like they're packing it down in intervals, so to speak, with a priority on the low angle stuff.

View attachment 57554
That’s just last night. For Wednesday they had groomed runouts on Wiz, Sorcerer, Tali, HOM, Wand and even had a single track on Showoff and Hocus Pocus. Didn’t see further east. They did the perfect post 3’ dump groom IMHO.

ne_skier

Played it right for sure. Runouts and most low angle stuff down by the Green lift except the Mystery bowl and maybe Vertigo skis better groomed anyways and this late in the season it's wise to pack it down. Definitely going to be a spring for the ages.

Skied Plattekill last weekend and leftover powder made for some of the best packed powder groomers I've ever seen. Never worn down, not a patch of ice. Can't wait to see how it skis.

zoomzoom

when the original skye peak quad (iirc) was built at K, it was intended to have an aux hydraulic drive powered by a grooming machine. never worked, as there was enough pressure but too little flow. more field-testing at K of yanek kunczynski's ideas. good times.

jimmywilson69

He was definitely an Idea man, that's for sure. he should've left the actual engineering and implementation to people that knew what they were doing.

machski

Who would they get to install the backup?
Not sure if Poma would do that or not. It is not cheap and not even sure that drive was set up to allow a "plug and play" type deal. If not, the entire drive terminal would need to be re-engineered to allow for all that. As I said, it would likely be big $$ and cannot see Magic spending that for what, mayve 3 days a year tops? But there are options out there.

slatham

They should just build a coal fired power plant next to the deck 🤪

Shit happens. You can’t build for every contingency and stay viable as a business.

Newpylong

If local acode allows you could physically do it (3 Phase Quick Disconnects - we used them for rental compressors all the time) but it does not satisfy the requirement of an APU because it is still using the same electric drive and motor.

skiur

Not sure if Poma would do that or not. It is not cheap and not even sure that drive was set up to allow a "plug and play" type deal. If not, the entire drive terminal would need to be re-engineered to allow for all that. As I said, it would likely be big $$ and cannot see Magic spending that for what, mayve 3 days a year tops? But there are options out there.

Just saying that magic seems to have a tough time getting someone out there to work on their lifts regardless of the money.

KustyTheKlown

Just cancelled magic for Sunday. I’d rather be there for a thaw day than a freeze day for my last Indy use.

K or Stratton for (hmph) groomers

chuckstah

Today was good Spring-ish conditions by the third run. Everything open, hard to hit anything on most trails. A bit of sleet, mist early, a shower at upper elevation chased us out at around 3. Yeah, Sunday will be firm for sure. Tomorrow will be good Screenshot_20230317-200203.pngScreenshot_20230317-200209.png

ne_skier

Froze up hard last night, both the groomers and the bumps will need significant sun. Groom is very patchy as much of it is leftover from earlier in the week. Get those skis sharpened