• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Stealing from a small independent ski mountain struggling to maintain their infrastructure due to the pressing need of folks to ski more? Nice.

(though to be fair said small independent mountain isn't exactly respectful of Grateful Dead IP rights)

KustyTheKlown

Stealing from a small independent ski mountain struggling to maintain their infrastructure due to the pressing need of folks to ski more? Nice.

(though to be fair said small independent mountain isn't exactly respectful of Grateful Dead IP rights)

dont you worry about big grateful dead, they have their fingers in everything, while still being one of the most widely bootlegged brands in the world. especially lately, the grateful dead are officially licensing everything and everywhere. i like the tgr stuff - i have a gen1 t-shirt and hoodie - but the amount of it is getting out of hand. and its not just tgr, they collaborate with so many brands. a company called section119 makes fairly high quality dad-level grateful dead clothing - think board shorts and golf shirts. they did (heinous) hype nike SBs that re-sale for like $1000

1680266645079.png

LuckyStrike

I found a Grateful Dead split board for you Krusty. That way you can ease your way into snowboarding :LOL:

drjeff

Agree!

And with every small(er) independent resort, Magic many times over for sure, that my kids had races at over the years, I would always decline the discounted "racer parent" ticket price and pay the full day fee. I definitely remember the time at Magic when I went to buy my ticket, and it was pretty obvious since my son in all of his race gear just walked by me on his way out the door and I wished him good luck, that I was a parent of a racer to the woman selling tickets, and I almost had to argue with her to let me pay the full rate, rather than the racer/parent rate (I think is was $20 or $25 cheaper)! :ROFLMAO:

Gotta keep supporting the small, indy resorts, just like we have to support the local brick and mortar ski shops if we want them to stay around

slatham

A key aspect of this upgrade is to get valuable data on skier visits, especially pass holders. As an area that limits ticket sales to manage crowding, but needs to make money, having better data on pass holder visits will allow proper ticket sales and better crowd management.

JoeB-Z

Stellar conditions today. It set up just right with well below freezing temps for the base, perfect thaw for the top, no sun. It will soften tomorrow but my tip is that Talisman was much firmer so it should hold up. I suppose the rest of the West side is the same. Better wax for the runout though. No one was there. I don't think I have ever seen better sking with less attendence.

IceEidolon

With a couple seasons of data they can also forecast what lifts to prep on marginal days, what hours to spin Green, etc. The extra information does actually make (some) things easier. Hopefully they don't have trouble getting the expensive gear to work as advertised.

LuckyStrike

Yesterday was fun as long as you stayed to the groomers. Made the mistake of going down Broomstick and scared the shit out of myself. It was my fault but that trail should have been closed. It was a great day to feel the sun on your face. I love Magic.
IMG_2463.jpg

ne_skier

Some Alpine Update highlights:
-Magic team meeting with Pfister to "nail down a schedule" this summer for the final Black Chair tower alignment, installation and splicing of the new haul rope, and final comm line/drive work to get the lift running
-Annual NDT test prep for Red and Green, with the former getting a new bullwheel liner and bearings at the base, as well as new custom-made sheaves on key towers
-Some cosmetics stuff around the base - clearing out parking lots, and prepping the deck for wedding season
-Upcoming concerts/events

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some Alpine Update highlights:
-Magic team meeting with Pfister to "nail down a schedule" this summer for the final Black Chair tower alignment, installation and splicing of the new haul rope, and final comm line/drive work to get the lift running

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

ne_skier

I doubt these projects are unique to Magic, but what's important is that the projects are completed without delaying or otherwise negatively affecting operations. Supply chain issues aren't always Magic's fault, but most skiers unfortunately either don't care or aren't informed as to what the underlying issues are. For example, how many skiers are waiting until Black running is a certainty to buy a season pass?

drjeff

I am confused. What never-ending (and it is never ending) project is there besides the Quad that is ridiculous?
Agree, the Quad is it's own separate entity. The rest of the things they're working on (snowmaking upgrades) improving the lodge and on hill opportunities (the learning area, Sunshine Corner and the T-Bar, disc golf, their park, etc) are pretty standard and on time stuff the vast majority of the time.

I am sure one might try and lump the issues they had at the start of the season with their snowmaking pond upgrade taking a while to get the certification from the State to fill it, and then the pump issue they had into the category that the Black has, but those are totally different things in my mind

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am confused. What never-ending (and it is never ending) project is there besides the Quad that is ridiculous?
The Green Chair took over a decade to complete!

The Black Quad is now on year three or four for a number of reasons.

And (at least arguably) the issues with the Red Chair.

I cannot think of another ski area that has required multiple years to install a chairlift. The only one that perhaps might fall into this category is the Montana Snow Bowl.