• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

urungus

IceEidolon

If Red's pit flooded, either water came up through the pit wall/floor, or the water was so high/a mud dam formed that stopped water just running down the hill behind Red to the parking lot. The lift house floor is usually at the snow level, and there's no dirt higher than that between the parking lot and the dropoff.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just it doesn't fit with what I recall of the ground there.

Delaying Black line work to restore access does track with the level of damage they posted on the Summit Access Road, and having that kind of rain event absolutely fits with the previous luck this project has seen.

Vter

Wish you all Well at Magic !!!

Vermont Academy here ‘78-‘79…a lot of love and fond memories of the Hill and a lot of flashbacks to this day…mmmmm “Wow Dude….the trees”
“Ya, Man the Trees”
Only those that know, know :)

WoodCore

From a recently posted picture it looks like most/all of the chairs are off the line on Black. Progress!

ne_skier

As of last alpine update (8/31) Pfister has been doing more work on the lift with the old rope on as they await to put in the new rope this fall. Most recent Facebook photo shows brake work being done in the motor room, chairs off the line. Like always: It's possible on paper, but we'll see.

Bubba

I love Magic, but I can’t understand why they wait all summer to get this chairlift work done. So many issues can still pop up during the work ahead. They don’t leave themselves much time to account for that. If I was a betting man, I’d wager Black will not be ready for MLK weekend.

drjeff

I love Magic, but I can’t understand why they wait all summer to get this chairlift work done. So many issues can still pop up during the work ahead. They don’t leave themselves much time to account for that. If I was a betting man, I’d wager Black will not be ready for MLK weekend.
Often, and not just in Magic's case, the timeline at which work begins on a lift project, especially something like a haul rope replacement, is based on when the crew that is doing the bulk/supervision of the replacement work (and there's not a ton of companies that do that type of work) is available, not when a resort wishes it may happen.

I am guessing that some of the specialized firms that do lift maintence work (from haul rope replacements to electrical systems/com line work, etc) already have multiple jobs booked for next Summer's maintenance season already, and that doesn't even factor in the unanticipated projects that will inevitably pop up along the way

tumbler

It also has to do with the fiscal year starting Aug 1 for most ski areas.

Bubba

Often, and not just in Magic's case, the timeline at which work begins on a lift project, especially something like a haul rope replacement, is based on when the crew that is doing the bulk/supervision of the replacement work (and there's not a ton of companies that do that type of work) is available, not when a resort wishes it may happen.

I am guessing that some of the specialized firms that do lift maintence work (from haul rope replacements to electrical systems/com line work, etc) already have multiple jobs booked for next Summer's maintenance season already, and that doesn't even factor in the unanticipated projects that will inevitably pop up along the way
I understand that, but this is year 5, you'd think they would have Phister booked and ready to roll as soon as the weather was good enough to get equipment on the mtn. Perhaps Phister just doesn't make them a priority after Geoff publicly lambasted them. Just seems to happen to Magic every year. Anyway, my passes are purchased so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Newpylong

Pjister, not Phister - and his crews have been working there the past month, amongst their other projects Those sheaves don't align themselves. With that many towers, that a huge process.

There are a grand total of 2 people who do splicing in the East also. That dictated doing the alignment with the old rope still on.

If I were a betting man, she'll be ready by the end of the year.

urungus

Been more than 2 weeks since the last Alpine Update on Magic’s website, hopefully they will soon have news of progress to report

IceEidolon

There are a grand total of 2 people who do splicing in the East also. That dictated doing the alignment with the old rope still on.
I've been told it's possible to damage a haul rope if the sheaves are badly enough out, so there's another reason to do as much work as possible before you replace the long lead time and very expensive haul rope.

Magic's got Paul Maitland previously from Stratton running the Ops show now, and he knows how to manage a lift install/major maintenance.

ThatGuy

I wish nothing but the best for them toget it installed and ready for the upcoming season…only time will tell
I’ll be in Utah watching what happens from afar

Bubba

I've been told it's possible to damage a haul rope if the sheaves are badly enough out, so there's another reason to do as much work as possible before you replace the long lead time and very expensive haul rope.

Magic's got Paul Maitland previously from Stratton running the Ops show now, and he knows how to manage a lift install/major
Pjister, not Phister - and his crews have been working there the past month, amongst their other projects Those sheaves don't align themselves. With that many towers, that a huge process.

If I were a betting man, she'll be ready by the end of the year.
yes, Fister has been there the last month. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. Where were they in June?

hughconway

Not sure if they were nixed by the overzealous head of patrol or lawyers/insurance carriers, but am I told that work days will not be happening this year.

I'll hold off on filling y'all in on what I've learned about the state of the summit lifts until 10/1 to give Magic a chance to come out and own the mess they have created first.