• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ThatGuy

NYDB

October 14 and 28 per the event’s calendar. A bit later than normal, and also 2 vs 3 the past couple of years.
Thanks. Yeah I remember 1 or 2 in September in prior years. I guess they are all booked up with weddings?

Hugh continues to be wrong about stuff. Looking forward to his big reveal on 10/1.

jimmywilson69

Its A Boy Chattanooga GIF by Storyful

Andrew B.

It also has to do with the fiscal year starting Aug 1 for most ski areas.
And projections of cash from operating?
I would assume you do this work in June you have to pay July/ August. Do this work in September/October you can pay for it after you start cash flowing.
Just a guess

skithetrees

The official story is that this is the soonest they could get Pjister in to do the work. They are beholden to the contractor’s schedule. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

icecoast1

The official story is that this is the soonest they could get Pjister in to do the work. They are beholden to the contractor’s schedule. I have no reason to believe otherwise.
Also very limited what you can do in Vermont above certain elevations for most of the summer due to the elusive Bicknell thrush

skithetrees

Not sure if they were nixed by the overzealous head of patrol or lawyers/insurance carriers, but am I told that work days will not be happening this year.

I'll hold off on filling y'all in on what I've learned about the state of the summit lifts until 10/1 to give Magic a chance to come out and own the mess they have created first.

So, wrong on both accounts. Work days scheduled and Pictures of red spinning today. I suspect that I know what you are referring to, but, obviously couldn’t have been that big of a deal.

slatham

Not privy to current situation but this has been the case in prior years. We can all relate to having to wait for out contractor/plumber/electrician etc….

urungus

Excerpt from todays Alpine Update at https://magicmtn.com/alpine-update/

The operations crew has been working hard all summer and the fall will be no different. We are still dealing with the effects of July's flood and Hunter Excavating is back here again helping us dredge both our snowmaking pond and the silt pond near Blue Gentian. The amount of flood debris/silt was considerable and while dredging is costly, we need to restore the silt pond so it can do its job of collecting said silt before it enters the snowmaking pond and then clear out parts of the snowmaking pond so we maximize water volume for snowmaking operations which will begin in early November.

On the lift front, Green chair is state inspected already and will be operating for fall foliage rides next Saturday. The Red Chair is undergoing line work this week thanks to our mechanics Dan and Jeff along with Russ our apprentice mechanic and winter lift ops supervisor! Pfister's crew is back working on the Black Quad with goal of getting that approved for the start of winter operations! They have worked on the brakes and are now examining the summit bullwheel to insure no surprises upon load test and inspection. The date for the install of the brand new haul rope is awaiting final scheduling of the splicer but all is progressing well with the final work. We've been through 3 haul rope splices here since we purchased Magic in 2016--it's always interesting to view and be a part of, and honestly, I can't wait to get this final one done!

urungus

Excerpt from todays Alpine Update at https://magicmtn.com/alpine-update/

Pfister's crew has been here this week working on the summit Quad bullwheel making sure that will be ready for load-testing. As mentioned last week, the new haul rope goes on soon with final splicing work October 16-18. Then all chairs can be put back on for final drive and tower coms work to prepare for State inspection and load-testing for this new ski season! The "silt" pond has had over 70 truck loads of sediment removed this week with more to go as that pond adjacent to the snowmaking pond did it's job of capturing a good deal of the sediment before going into the snowmaking pond, but we will be doing some removal at the snowmaking pond in October prior to the start of snowmaking to mitigate the silt intrusion from the July flood.

b6274e86-9a4b-fd1b-ad8a-c8d26872a2a0.jpg

Dredging work on the Blue Gentian silt pond.

slatham

Another expense Magic didn’t need……

But went over Saturday and mountain was in good shape with activity at the Tavern, people riding Green, bunch of folks at Sunshine corner enjoying, surprise, sunshine! Pfister has top bullwheel on Black de-tensioned, all chairs off, looks like tower work done (but tough to tell). Hopefully top bullwheel checks out and new rope can be unspooled.

Volunteer days Oct 14 and 28. Some discussion about what to do, including, just possibly, a new off the map line? Hope a bunch of folks can join.

Happy October.

urungus

What is the issue with the top bullwheel and why wasn’t it discovered during the previous 5 years of construction ?

hughconway

Due to the questions regarding the veracity of my post about the possible cancellation of work days, I'll delay my lift update to Monday 10/16 so we can see if a work day occurs on 10/14.

While 2 days are posted on the official calendar, I suspect they simply have not been removed. In early September my source indicated that an 'open to the public' volunteer work day would almost certainly NOT occur due to (unspecified) liability concerns. I'm told they were considering allowing the racing team to do some work since they are run by a non-profit with an insurance policy. Take it with whatever size grain of salt you'd like, but the info came directly from a member of the 'Magicment'.