• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

urungus

Todays Alpine Update

Will it be Snovember? Well, it's started off that way with 3" of snow on the first day of the month! We ended October with the haul rope splice successfully completed and the new haul rope stretched around the base bullwheel, with it running at slow speed today to stretch out the new splice. There is still work to do as we will be putting 136 quad chairs back on and slip testing each of those. Then brittle bars for coms back to the drive need to be installed at each tower sheave along with final drive work. Assuming all that goes well, we will then get ready for a load test and state inspection which would be a few weeks away. With Opening Day currently scheduled for 12/16, there is some time, but not a lot, to get all these pieces together by then!

Bubba

Todays Alpine Update

Will it be Snovember? Well, it's started off that way with 3" of snow on the first day of the month! We ended October with the haul rope splice successfully completed and the new haul rope stretched around the base bullwheel, with it running at slow speed today to stretch out the new splice. There is still work to do as we will be putting 136 quad chairs back on and slip testing each of those. Then brittle bars for coms back to the drive need to be installed at each tower sheave along with final drive work. Assuming all that goes well, we will then get ready for a load test and state inspection which would be a few weeks away. With Opening Day currently scheduled for 12/16, there is some time, but not a lot, to get all these pieces together by then!
I wonder if they will ever get sick of waiting until the last minute? They must really love anxiety? I’ve skied with Hathaway, he does like to live on the edge.

Newpylong

Still need to do all the brittle bars, that sucks. That is a lot of work on a lot of towers, especially in the cold.

slatham

I w
Still need to do all the brittle bars, that sucks. That is a lot of work on a lot of towers, especially in the cold.
I was bit surprised but that too but I am a layman at lift installs. Could it be they worried about haul rope replacement causing damage? I would think not, but do not know. At least the weather will be more friendly for this type of work for the next 5-6 days.

drjeff

Hopefully they will have a smooth season. They have been dealt some bad cards in recent years.
To be honest, some of their issues hasn't been the cards they were dealt as much as it has been at times discarding some decent cards from the hand they were dealt.

Not all their fault by any means, but also objectively, they brought some of what has gone wrong over many years now upon themselves, and often from the perspective of over promising and under delivering.

May the Black Chair spin and haul folks to the Summit soon!

Last edited:

RH29

Wow...seems like they might finally pull it off.

Still have mixed thoughts on this one - I like powder when I roll in from CT at 10 AM, but I also don't like 20 minute lines for Red on said powder days. If magic ups their snowmaking a bit, it'd help counteract the decline in conditions the increased capacity will likely cause.

slatham

They have in fact been slowly upgrading their snowmaking and have a great team too. The problem the last couple of years have been late starts caused by system issues and/or completing work late. Like last year, pond was late, and they had the pump issue. Hopefully for once they can start when they plan too without major issues. If so then you will see a marked increase in trail count compared to prior years.

Bubba

Wow...seems like they might finally pull it off.

Still have mixed thoughts on this one - I like powder when I roll in from CT at 10 AM, but I also don't like 20 minute lines for Red on said powder days. If magic ups their snowmaking a bit, it'd help counteract the decline in conditions the increased capacity will likely cause.
Well, you could always leave CT 2 hours earlier and get to the Mtn when the lift starts spinning. At 10 am on a powder day other than the “secretist” of stashes is going to be tracked out at any S Vt ski area. The days of country club skiing at Magic ended long before ground was broke on the black chair.

VTSkiBike

Well, you could always leave CT 2 hours earlier and get to the Mtn when the lift starts spinning. At 10 am on a powder day other than the “secretist” of stashes is going to be tracked out at any S Vt ski area. The days of country club skiing at Magic ended long before ground was broke on the black chair.
I was a faithful Magic skier from about 2007-2010. Those were the country club days. Powder days were the same 50 people lapping the red chair and there was fresh tracks allllllll day.

skithetrees

I was a faithful Magic skier from about 2007-2010. Those were the country club days. Powder days were the same 50 people lapping the red chair and there was fresh tracks allllllll day.
It’s really bittersweet. There were times days after the storm some pockets might be untracked. Ski on, empty trails, it was great. Still far better than anywhere else now, but definitely miss the old days. That said, the mountain needs to survive, so I am cautiously excited for what there is to come.

slatham

Ha let’s remember if the old days - the country club days - were still going on, we’d be back to future of mid 90’s NELSAP!

skithetrees

Absolutely. We have been homeowners there since the 80’s. Seen it all and, while it was fun snowmobiling on the mountain while closed, what we have now is infinitely better!

drjeff

Gone it seems (and hopefully for good!!!) are the years when you got to Early November and still had some legitimate questions as to if Magic was going to open for the season or not that year?

While it hasn't always been without speed bumps the last few years, the product and dependability throughout the season are infinitely better than not too long ago (y)