• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

If I was on the tramway board, there would need to be a lot of explaining.

Newpylong

The one thing that people need to understand when going up one side and down the other of Magic is there wasn't (and isn't) exactly a line of people waiting to buy the place.

Sure much critique is warranted (and healthy to some degree) but without that group investing, the place would be right back on NELSAP plain and simple.

Finished Green Chair
Rebuilt and reactivated brook snowmaking pump
Purchased all VFDs
Purchased two electric compressors
Purchased lots of HKD Low E gear
Doubled storage capacity of pond
Black Quad (this year maybe)
Magic Carpet
Fixed all of the inoperable snowmaking outside of Mystery
Huge lodge improvements
2 working cats

Awful lot to appreciate there as well as the bad.

doublediamond

All VFDs? Well that right there is a waste. You only need one VFD and the other pumps just turn on/off as needed.

Newpylong

Your point is moot. They only have two main pumps that operate separate feeds.

Even if it was a standard two pump setup (with a common header) it is always better to install VFDs on both. Then you can have auto pressure controls (saving someone from having to be in the pumphouse constantly adjusting the pressure valve) and you get the benefit of not having any pumps running flat out when you don't need them to. Installing VFDs is one of the single best bang for your bucks that you can do, they are short money for the benefits gained.

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Even if it was a standard two pump setup (with a common header) it is always better to install VFDs on both.
First off, Magic absolutely does not have any redundant VFDs. They need all three (pond feed, main line and Showoff/Hocus Pocus) as each feeds a separate zone with a separate pressure setpoint. Newpylong and Magic are absolutely correct there.

I do disagree about secondary pumps in the same header, though - common practice as I understand it is to have, depending on size and budget, one VFD and a handful of "dumb" secondaries, no? Unless there's something like a cross feed where you sometimes feed separate lines and sometimes feed the same header.

hughconway

So.... about that black quad. From what I am hearing it once again seems unlikely that the lift will be completed this season. The 'difficult to access' tower that has been a problem from the outset and has been adjusted several times already requires what may be its most difficult adjustment to date. My understanding is that the tower head needs to be lifted and rotated. Since they have repeatedly claimed that there is no way to get heavy equipment to that location after the snow starts falling some heli time might be the only option until next summer?

Keelhauled

5UQ6iXe.gif

RH29

So.... about that black quad. From what I am hearing it once again seems unlikely that the lift will be completed this season. The 'difficult to access' tower that has been a problem from the outset and has been adjusted several times already requires what may be its most difficult adjustment to date. My understanding is that the tower head needs to be lifted and rotated. Since they have repeatedly claimed that there is no way to get heavy equipment to that location after the snow starts falling some heli time might be the only option until next summer?
You're shitting me.

skiatomic

Please tell me this is a joke.

chuckstah

Sounds about right. I'll have to inquire with a friend that works there. Probably skiing with him later this week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Huh?

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

ThatGuy

I don’t know how anyone expects differently at this point to be honest…Love the mountain but you’re a fool if you just keep believing everything will fall into place last minute. Its been the same story for the past ~three seasons where the lift is “about to be done”. After over a decade of getting a Magic pass and occasionally working there as well I went to the “dark side” and got an Epic pass the last couple seasons and it was wonderful to not have to constantly wonder whether there would even be summit access and skiing the same 5 trails most of the winter. Guess I never drank the kool-aid but the “vibe” BLT and terrain aren’t enough to entice me to want to go back for more than a couple days a season when the snow is good when you can ski Mount Snow, Stowe and Okemo all with a lot more trails open and lifts that actually run. I’m sure Black will run eventually but when that will be is the question…

doublediamond

Didn’t Green have a misplaced tower for a while before it was eventually completed? In this day and age of lasers there’s no reason to have things that out of kilter.

Bubba

Maybe this is why you start lift work in June? I wonder how many lifts in NE have been installed during the period that black has been sitting idle?

drjeff

Maybe this is why you start lift work in June? I wonder how many lifts in NE have been installed during the period that black has been sitting idle?
You'd probably be out of fingers and toes to count on with that number over that timeframe.....