• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

MG Skier

As a several year pass holder myself, I want them to be successful and see the mountain survive as it is a really cool spot to enjoy winter and do what we all do. I am frustrated that they struggle to open enough terrain early to encourage me to make the drive (my choice for living 2+ hours away and making Magic my home mountain.) I jumped on the Indy Pass this year for early season options and M-T-W skiing when I need to get out on my skis. I'll keep the faith but may need to think about the future.

skithetrees

As a 30+ year property owner, it’s getting tiring. I’m tired of friends asking if the quad is done. I am tired of not starting my ski season until essentially Christmas (granted there are some other factors at play). I cut them a lot of slack and appreciate the efforts, but, damn, it sometimes gets exhausting. I will say that I think they made the most snow I have ever seen them make last year. But it was often late in the season. If they got started earlier, much of it would have hung around anyway and they wouldn’t be the last place to open in VT.

hughconway

It’s looking like they solved the tower issue and Black has a real chance to spin this year. Huge.
That's great news if true. I'd love to hear how they solved it. I was thinking that since it is a compression tower maybe they could lash the haul rope to the tower head then gently release some tension on the line causing the tower head to 'float' a bit so it could be manually re-aligned and bolted back down?

Unconfirmed, but I assume good news for the red double as well. When I got news of the alignment problem I was also sent a bunch of pictures and a few showed the red haul rope off the first couple of towers to allow them to pull the bullwheel. In a picture magic posted on facebook today I saw that the haul rope was back up on the sheaves, so I presume that means that the bullwheel work has been completed successfully.

slatham

That would be great news if the tower work was complete on Black. My understanding is that they did in fact need to pivot and rebolt.

Apparently on Red they used jacks to lift the bullwheel rather than a crane which would have required roof removal.

Unfortunately the nice snowpack - and now some made made - will take a hit Sunday. Watching backside which is trending to more snow, but I am not a fan of backside snow scenarios - often they don’t verify. Hope this one does.

Bubba

Well atleast the refilling of their snowmaking pond should be complete by Monday morning.... That's some mega spin attempt there on my part! ;)o_O:ROFLMAO:
Magic likes to miss the first couple snowmaking windows every season. Just to keep us on our toes.

drjeff

Magic likes to miss the first couple snowmaking windows every season. Just to keep us on our toes.
I heard that water that enters the pond in late November/Early December is so much better for snowmaing than the water that enters the pond in late October/early November ;):ROFLMAO:

urungus

Some excerpts from the official Alpine update, Red bullwheel should be “wrapped up” by now, and Black “operation hopefully” 3 weeks from now. Pond is full. One week delay in opening isn’t a huge deal IMO. Maybe the sky isn’t falling after all. Every year it always seems to come right down to the wire though.

Dec 11
the storm system pretty much left us with mostly r**n and only an inch of snow on the back-end. Much less than predicted. So instead of adding to our base, we have a net loss. Snowmaking temps are off and on this week. We will try to get a 12-hour window in tonight when temps reach marginal levels around 9pm. Then the next opportunity is Wednesday through Thursday, so hopefully about 24 hours there before Friday and the weekend warms up again. The reality is most likely there won't be enough cold time to lay down enough snow for opening. But we will give it our best shot and provide an update on Thursday as to whether opening day will get pushed to next week

Dec 8
Lifts: While the snowmaking went off as scheduled this week, the Red Chair's bullwheel bearing set-up and replacement has taken a little longer with that work now wrapping up over the weekend. Work also proceeded on the Black Line Quad this week with tower line alignment issues worked on successfully. The lift will run next week to finish up installation of safety bars and seat pads on the chairs. Then Pfister moves on to installation of tower switches and final drive work to get that ready for testing and operation hopefully before the New Year!

AdironRider

With the current forecast there is a less than 50% chance they open for Christmas at all. They have basically 24 hours of snowmaking temps over the next ten days, with a forecasted 42 degree with rain event in the middle of it.

slatham

While the pattern is not cold, beyond this weekend there is huge uncertainty in the particulars, especially the Monday storm and temps thereafter. Regardless, it’ll be a tough slog for sure……

JoeB-Z

trick To show off for Xmas week is old school 100% open on a mid year before current ownership.

we have come full circle.
And just how would you have done that from the top this year? Started up high and see it all melt last weekend? Meanwhile, can they get open on Saturday or not?

NYDB

And just how would you have done that from the top this year? Started up high and see it all melt last weekend? Meanwhile, can they get open on Saturday or not?
Trick to show off. like normal.

Or Wand to show off at least. From greenie. LMC Maybe?

Spurt a little by the carpet lift for lessons?

I’m sorry about the flood.

Fuck don’t make me go to Stratton or K during Xmas week.