• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Newpylong

Trick to Showoff was always a lock by Christmas by prior owners because that was really the only portion of the system that was in good working order. So once open, that was really it. Current owners fixed Talisman, Sorcerer, Wizard, LMC, Vertigo, Witch to Black. Between the pond pump failing after dredge last year (unforced error no doubt) and the flood this year, I think these are outliers. But yeah, as I said earlier, they gotta be able to move more water uphill. The windows are just too short now.

AdironRider

Are you like on the payroll or something? Words have meaning and matter and their operations failures are not outliers.

tumbler

I don't think I would be riding the new black until it had some real runtime under full load on it.

NYDB

With the current forecast there is a less than 50% chance they open for Christmas at all. They have basically 24 hours of snowmaking temps over the next ten days, with a forecasted 42 degree with rain event in the middle of it.
They pretty much admitted this on their 12/13 mountain update today.

skithetrees

They will make it, but the product will be limited. Interesting, the photos they posted showed snowmaking at the top of the quad.

The Sneak

Take with grain of salt bc we were talking SNE but I have a relative who is a very senior NOAA employee, and I recently asked him what was up with the pattern, and he didn't think it would change until sometime in January. He was - quote - "looking forward to some pre-Christmas golfing, sadly" next week.

drjeff

Take with grain of salt bc we were talking SNE but I have a relative who is a very senior NOAA employee, and I recently asked him what was up with the pattern, and he didn't think it would change until sometime in January. He was - quote - "looking forward to some pre-Christmas golfing, sadly" next week.

Agree.

It seems like for many places, if they don't have it open by this Saturday, not looking very promising for more than a few, short (less than 24hrs of marginal temps) windows over the next 10 days, or longer..... :cry:

Bubba

Trick to Showoff was always a lock by Christmas by prior owners because that was really the only portion of the system that was in good working order. So once open, that was really it. Current owners fixed Talisman, Sorcerer, Wizard, LMC, Vertigo, Witch to Black. Between the pond pump failing after dredge last year (unforced error no doubt) and the flood this year, I think these are outliers. But yeah, as I said earlier, they gotta be able to move more water uphill. The windows are just too short now.
It’s great to see the increased snow making in February and March. But this regime has consistently missed early season snow making windows. What’s the use of more firepower if they can’t get open by their target date, this Friday? Meanwhile the rest of Vermont is spinning. At some point pass holders are going to flee. Having to come out of pocket to buy the family lift tickets at another mountain, 3 weeks into December leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

skithetrees

Agreed. Once again, mitigating circumstances this year. But they need to start consistently opening early December going forward and have magic carpet top to bottom, trick, showoff and hocus pokus open for Christmas week at a minimum. As homeowners, we are there every year, and half the time I wonder why we didn’t just go to the damn beach instead.

Newpylong

It’s great to see the increased snow making in February and March. But this regime has consistently missed early season snow making windows. What’s the use of more firepower if they can’t get open by their target date, this Friday? Meanwhile the rest of Vermont is spinning. At some point pass holders are going to flee. Having to come out of pocket to buy the family lift tickets at another mountain, 3 weeks into December leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
The "use of more firepower" is to rectify the very issue you're talking about - the ability to consistently open on time despite shorter windows and inclement weather. Magic has one of the lowest gallon/acre capacities in the East. Until this changes then it's going to be a challenge to meet opening goals.

As I ran a similarly undersized system for a number of years I understand the challenges they're facing in this respect. Once their heads are above water from the Black chair it's where I would focus energy (and capital).

Last edited:

slatham

Next week post storm *may* offer several opportunities to make snow - especially if the Euro verifies. The week of Christmas is becoming clearer that the pattern will change with MJO into colder phase 1, PNA going positive, and some blocking up North. How that materializes for SoVT is TBD but model forecasts are improving for sure.

And the same forecasters that nailed November cold and December warm have Jan and Feb cold. Skis crossed.

Bubba

The "use of more firepower" is to rectify the very issue you're talking about - the ability to consistently open on time despite shorter windows and inclement weather. Magic has one of the lowest gallon/acre capacities in the East. Until this changes then it's going to be a challenge to meet opening goals.

As I ran a similarly undersized system for a number of years I understand the challenges they're facing in this respect. Once their heads are above water from the Black chair it's where I would focus energy (and capital

As I ran a similarly undersized system for a number of years I understand the challenges they're facing in this respect. Once their heads are above water from the Black chair it's where I would focus energy (and capital).
The issue is not being ready to make snow when the window opens. It’s the Magic way. Sit on their hands all summer long and start critical projects in September. Hunter could have started dredging in August. Last season they blew the system up and had to create a work around. When do you file this under incompetence?

Newpylong

You're arguing with yourself, my pond pump comment that you chose to first reply to said, "this was an unforced error". In other words, we agree. However we'll have to agree to disagree on the pond dredging issue. I feel as though the response however delayed was appropriate given permitting challenges in VT.

My analysis on the pumping capacity is simply to state that even if they were prepared and ready to go on 11/20, it's still going to hit or miss when a mountain with that much acreage can only put a limited number of gallons per minute uphill. Magic takes a ton of snow to open off the top.

WoodCore

You're arguing with yourself, my pond pump comment that you chose to first reply to said, "this was an unforced error". In other words, we agree. However we'll have to agree to disagree on the pond dredging issue. I feel as though the response however delayed was appropriate given permitting challenges in VT.
Not to mention any involvement in the form of compensation from FEMA which could have been a big driver in the financial ability to perform the work on the ponds.

IceEidolon

No, but you evidently are skiing at a different Magic. I can't recall opening day on anything but Green since that lift was completed.
Last year, pedantically. There was natural snow. Unless you super pedantic me and say "Green was spinning first!"

And how much natural snow did that take?

I have some snowmaking opinions about that system, but I'll say generally I have a lot of respect for Paul and I think having snowmaking ready to go as soon as the pond got fixed reflects well on him and the ops crew. Given the late start forced by permitting (and dealing with that without a Killington sized legal team behind you is a serious obstacle) I've been impressed with their snowmaking this year.

I know they've got a pair of new fan guns, either demos or owned, this year (HKD F8 Halo Manual, Demac Evo) so that ought to make the base area buildout go smoother as soon s they get temps back.

Last edited:

NYDB

sad to say, but It doesn’t look like they'll be spinning lifts next week. I’d love to be wrong but it looks like about 36-48 hours of snowmaking weather until 12/29.

maybe they have a lot of snow stockpiled up high? Has anyone been up hiking lately?

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

I am seeing a forecast of a lot of colder temps temps at the mountain. It will be an interesting challenge.