• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

drjeff

I am seeing a forecast of a lot of colder temps temps at the mountain. It will be an interesting challenge.
Lift served with some variable conditions and occasional hiking between patches may just be a bit of a Magic Christmas Miracle...

Hope they can pull it off!

Newpylong

sad to say, but It doesn’t look like they'll be spinning lifts next week. I’d love to be wrong but it looks like about 36-48 hours of snowmaking weather until 12/29.

maybe they have a lot of snow stockpiled up high? Has anyone been up hiking lately?
From what I saw they did not really have enough run time to stockpile prior to the onslaught. Baby mounds.

AdironRider

Lift served with some variable conditions and occasional hiking between patches may just be a bit of a Magic Christmas Miracle...

Hope they can pull it off!

That is a terrible product offering. Walking between snowmaking whales is a joke for a Christmas offering.

drjeff

That is a terrible product offering. Walking between snowmaking whales is a joke for a Christmas offering.
No disagreement at all with that statement.

Just a telling sign of what some Magic passholders may actually be OK with right now, vs nothing lift served at all for X-Mas week.

"Come celebrate Christmas Week with us in the Balck Line Tavern" after hiking from patch to patch (at best) will only placate so many folks for so long, even with the requiste "Mother Nature" excuses

skithetrees

To be clear, I am NOT ok with that offering. I have no damn clue why they are blowing on the terrain park unless they are planning on using black.

drjeff

To be clear, I am NOT ok with that offering. I have no damn clue why they are blowing on the terrain park unless they are planning on using black.
"Come bring your kids to the hikable terrain park while you enjoy the atmosphere of the BLT this Christmas Week... " I can see that line dropping on the social media channels very soon

ne_skier

Magic Instagram post showing snowmaking at the summit and base area also caught a work carrier going up Black, presumably installing tower switches

skithetrees

Looking at the pictures, I cannot for the life of me understand why the fan guns are not on lower showoff.

drjeff

I will say, that regardless of if there is any slidng downhill on snow this Saturday, the band they have playng the BLT, The Erica Reynolds Band, is very good (Her band plays a bunch of my regular spots in the Mount Snow area and I make sure to catch a show or 2 over the season), so that is a legimate plus in my book

Newpylong

I don't understand the Terrain Park either. Isn't Carumba to Red on the same 300 line? I would think they would want to be working on actually skiable terrain on that lower 300 loop while the 400 works up top.

drjeff

I don't understand the Terrain Park either. Isn't Carumba to Red on the same 300 line? I would think they would want to be working on actually skiable terrain on that lower 300 loop while the 400 works up top.
Putting on my best Hugh Conway conspiracy cap here......

Should we read into that that there's currently issues with any lift access up top, that won't be able to be rectified until say after New Years?..... ;):oops::eek::ROFLMAO:o_O

slatham

Lower Red-Carumba is 400/summit loop. 300 is ShowOff, Hocus Pocus, base area and some part of learning area.

They've had limited run time down low due to temps, hence a focus on summit area. Today they had to shut down even up top for a few hours which sucks. Base area temps for the most part have been marginal and much better for the 2 new fan guns which are able to run at higher temps vs the old Areco's, hence focusing on terrain park. Tonight, hopefully through Saturday, they should have good temps and can focus on Wand-Showoff. Not Sure that is enough time to get open from Green. And I am not sure if they have enough on the summit route to connect to lower mountain.

And of course Saturday until mid/late next week is too warm, and we may have yet another non-frozen storm before *Hopefully* a pattern change.

It's unfortunate the weather has completely sucked since they've had water to run the snowmaking system.

NYDB

They can’t bury wand down to show off in 24 hours right? Enough to cover the chips?

and show off too?

i Don’t see how it’s possible. You snowmaking geeks can correct me though. there is plenty of water but their pumping is lacking for muscular output

slatham

They can’t bury wand down to show off in 24 hours right? Enough to cover the chips?

and show off too?

i Don’t see how it’s possible. You snowmaking geeks can correct me though. there is plenty of water but their pumping is lacking for muscular output
Tonight through Saturday morning approx 60 hours.

But your point stands - is it enough?

Wand is 400 line. If they max it they should by my amateur estimation cover from Green to Showoff.

ShowOff is 300 line. I've seen them light that up top to bottom.

Fingers crossed temps hold, system performs, and luck is with them.......

Newpylong

Lower Red-Carumba is 400/summit loop. 300 is ShowOff, Hocus Pocus, base area and some part of learning area.

They've had limited run time down low due to temps, hence a focus on summit area. Today they had to shut down even up top for a few hours which sucks. Base area temps for the most part have been marginal and much better for the 2 new fan guns which are able to run at higher temps vs the old Areco's, hence focusing on terrain park. Tonight, hopefully through Saturday, they should have good temps and can focus on Wand-Showoff. Not Sure that is enough time to get open from Green. And I am not sure if they have enough on the summit route to connect to lower mountain.

And of course Saturday until mid/late next week is too warm, and we may have yet another non-frozen storm before *Hopefully* a pattern change.

It's unfortunate the weather has completely sucked since they've had water to run the snowmaking system.
Thanks, but this makes the question even more pertinent doesn't it? Shouldn't those fans all be running on Show Off on the 300 line then while the 400 is running up top? What am I missing here...

skithetrees

Thanks, but this makes the question even more pertinent doesn't it? Shouldn't those fans all be running on Show Off on the 300 line then while the 400 is running up top? What am I missing here...
Precisely my question. It makes no sense. Unless they are going for broke and trying to cover a path the the quad so they can open it for new years. Seems risky

drjeff

Bottom line, Saturday night in the BLT, the Erica Reynolds Band is AWESOME! And my wife who is next to me on the couch as I am posting this now and has heard her band probably a dozen times, fully concurs! As my wife put it, if we weren't hosting 17 people in our house in CT on Sunday, we'd make the drive up to the BLT on Saturday to see Erica's band!

NYDB

Tonight through Saturday morning approx 60 hours.

But your point stands - is it enough?

Wand is 400 line. If they max it they should by my amateur estimation cover from Green to Showoff.

ShowOff is 300 line. I've seen them light that up top to bottom.

Fingers crossed temps hold, system performs, and luck is with them.......
They say they are done when it warms Friday morning. So 24 ish hours from now then. I don’t see it happening.

I assume that is why they are trying to get the park blown in. They need something for next week and they know they can’t get a trail blown in in time.

slatham

They say they are done when it warms Friday morning. So 24 ish hours from now then. I don’t see it happening.

I assume that is why they are trying to get the park blown in. They need something for next week and they know they can’t get a trail blown in in time.

My comment on 60 hours was based on my reading of various forecast models for Magic mountain. They have temps until Saturday morning. The comment on the snow report too was pessimistic as it turns out. And that could be part of the problem - this week was forecasted to be warmer than it is turning out to be in reality. Plus we have no idea of strategic thinking, nor the limitations of the system.

Hopefully they put enough snow down up top, and can cover the lower section through Saturday. Thats a tough assignment though. Rabbit out of a hat....

Wish I was there to report, but my guess is they moved some guns over to Showoff but that is a pure guess based on the cam.

ThatGuy

If its almost January and youre hoping for one trail to be open thats a problem…can’t blame it on temps