• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

skithetrees

New update on Facebook. Pretty much official that they won’t be open until some time in January. I am no doubt a huge Magic fan, but the people praising them online for doing a great job must have Stockholm syndrome. I’m sorry, what is there to praise here? You are the only place in the northeast over 1000 vertical feet not open

thetrailboss

Staff member
New update on Facebook. Pretty much official that they won’t be open until some time in January. I am no doubt a huge Magic fan, but the people praising them online for doing a great job must have Stockholm syndrome. I’m sorry, what is there to praise here? You are the only place in the northeast over 1000 vertical feet not open
Wow, that really sucks. That is a lot of lost business.

NYDB

Wow that's not good. I'd be curious as to what percentage of pass holders have another pass. As much as I want them to win I couldn't afford to put all my eggs in that basket.
I think a majority of the non locals have something. Most popular being bromley or the big 2.

I’ll be by next week to get some boards tuned and pick up passes. Probably won’t be using the tow rope or sipping a hazy ipa in my Grateful Dead themed flat brimmed Magic hat at the BLT though.

cdskier

Magic's instagram post makes it sound like they haven't had any snowmaking weather until this week. Meanwhile, their neighbors have been open for a month.

Exactly...it would be one thing if everyone was struggling to open. But when the vast majority of areas in New England, NY, PA, NJ, etc can open and you can't...that's a problem.

Bubba

I think a majority of the non locals have something. Most popular being bromley or the big 2.

I’ll be by next week to get some boards tuned and pick up passes. Probably won’t be using the tow rope or sipping a hazy ipa in my Grateful Dead themed flat brimmed Magic hat at the BLT though.
Most have at least an Indy Pass. The issue is when Magic was charging $499 for a season pass, getting another one was obtainable for most people. Now that the pass is closer to $800, it seems like they should have a product people can rely on. With all the recent infrastructure improvement, the product has become more expensive and less reliable.

Judder

Bennington, VT / Rochester, VT / Sugarbush
Local here. Ditched my Magic pass 3 years ago for Bromley. When passes were cheaper I would get a full Magic pass and a midweek Bromley.

If I was a sole Magic pass holder and had a vacation home or condo around the mountain I would be livid. There is no reason why they shouldn’t have at least one top to bottom open this weekend given the consistent cold we’ve had since Tuesday. There’s gotta be more to the story… lifts not working or not inspected? Issues with the snowmaking system? Lack of snowmaking staff or money?

This week, South facing Bromley was able to do a complete refresh on its 6 top to bottom routes, plus they opened up two more trails today. Meanwhile Magic is blowing snow on the terrain park with 2 or 3 fan guns.

slatham

For the conspiracy theorists:

1) No run from Green as Green must not be working:
"Lifts: Once we get enough snow down, both Red and Green Lifts are ready-to-go"
-I'd add that Green was inspected and ran for fall foliage........
2) That snowmaking on ShowOff is not working.
8173b969-ab82-4552-3589-28825c6983c7.jpg

3) That the weather hasn't been an issue:
dbd2560f-b773-8c20-4c32-4f95da434e10.jpg

Even those areas in the neighborhood with open terrain are WROD.

The weather has sucked, full stop. But as we all know, "No changing the weather".......

Just remember, the best winters have always started late.

skiur

The weather has sucked, full stop. But as we all know, "No changing the weather".......

So how come every other ski hill has been able to open? Pretty tough to defend magic here, kinda foolish too.

skithetrees

Wow, that really sucks. That is a lot of lost business.
Honestly, not a ton of lost business. This week is always relatively quiet up there other than pass holders. Most people don’t want to ski one or two ways down anyway. It is a big middle finger to pass holders and homeowners.

drjeff

Honestly, not a ton of lost business. This week is always relatively quiet up there other than pass holders. Most people don’t want to ski one or two ways down anyway. It is a big middle finger to pass holders and homeowners.
Giving the middle finger to their core customers, many of whom give them the needed cash infusion in the Fall when passes go on sale

Bubba

Do you really think this post defends the mismanagement?
The Red chair was inspected THiS WEEK. If you’re keeping score, that’s a week after the date they had advertised their opening. What if it dumped two feet of snow on 12/6? That would have been a lot of missed day ticket revenue.
The latest Alpine Update is border line exploiting a natural disaster. The entire state was affected. Okemo was a disaster area. Yet every other ski are in the state is open. None of them are still using that storm as an excuse for why they don’t have one single run down the mountain.
You should have just not posted a picture of those piles on Show Off. Even the Barker regime was able to put more snow on show off weeks ahead of this timeline.
Can we stop sniffing their farts and calling them vintage?

Last edited:

RH29

Bromley has three routes off the summit and more trails at mid mountain, offering a pretty good variety of routes to get down. Berkshire East sits at an average elevation of 1100 feet and has 3.5 top to bottom runs. Stratton, Okemo, and Snow are all about a third open.

And they're stopping snowmaking all week despite projected lows at or below freezing most nights. Yes, it'd be marginal production, but a hell of a lot better than nothing after you put off snowmaking to Christmas and are the only area in New England not open. Yawgoo Valley has the same operating plan for this week.

JoeB-Z

I stopped by the mountain yesterday to stock my locker. Sad. Nothing an inch of rain this week won't fix.

skithetrees

Not sure how it is elsewhere, but this feels like the last week of spring in vt. At bromley today (where I spent the cost of one of my magic passes on tickets for the family) and lifts are ski on, half empty and what snow there is is melting fast. Stratton cams show the place is almost empty. With rain coming and warmer temps all week, new years looks like a washout. Magic may not be open until January 5th at this rate with 1.5 ways down for mlk.

drjeff

Not sure how it is elsewhere, but this feels like the last week of spring in vt. At bromley today (where I spent the cost of one of my magic passes on tickets for the family) and lifts are ski on, half empty and what snow there is is melting fast. Stratton cams show the place is almost empty. With rain coming and warmer temps all week, new years looks like a washout. Magic may not be open until January 5th at this rate with 1.5 ways down for mlk.
I always say that December 26th is the day you think will be busy, but never really is. The big masses for X-Mas week who are renting condos and filling up hotel rooms arrive on the 26th in the afternoon and start hitting the hill on the 27th.

Add in the monsoon that hit last week, and I bet cancelations are up.

Mount Snow was close to ski on all morning, with even the Bluebird rarely having more than a group or 2 in each queue lane. Comfortable temps, soft Spring like snow in generally good quantity. Snowmaking temps though will be eagerly awaited later this week for sure!

skithetrees

With the forecast through Friday I don’t see why it will get any better in terms of people coming up

Newpylong

Mountain visitation highly depends on weather in the flatlands. Folks are going to cancel when we're going through wx like this.

Killington does look pretty busy, not sure how it compares to typical xmas week, probably low.

crippity

I took my daughter to mohwak on sunday for her first day and didnt feel like longer drive as had to be home on xmas eve. i was BLOWN away how great the coverage was on their three trails and this is in CT for christs sake.