• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

tnt1234

I think it was the cold, I went to Windham and Hunter on Saturday, then Killington on Sunday and crowds were very light at all three places, even Hunter.
You skied Windham and Hunter in one day? Do you have Ikon and Epic?

I was at Hunter sunday and it was crowded, but manageable. Singles line was maybe 10 minutes tops. Probably a little less really...

tnt1234

i really want to do this saturday but dont know if its the right move following the wet. stratton will certainly recover better...
Tough call. saturday is warm, but on the mountain might stay below freezing. Sunday is cold.

If it stayed above freezing and it doesn't rain too hard could be a good day.

Day tripping? make the call from the road?

KustyTheKlown

nope. very luxe house rental in winhall with my parents, my sisters, their husbands, their kids, my partner and me. big family trip. arrive thursday night leave sunday afternoon. sad about the incoming R. we'll have fun no matter what.

tnt1234

Most areas had their best weekend of the year this past weekend, even little joints like Dartmouth. Don't think it was the cold but rather their reputation of incompetence.
I have to say, the Black Lift debacle is a little disheartening at this point.

Had an insanely great two days there last year, but the lines on red were brutal.

If they aren't filling up on the weekends, well, that's a drag for them for sure, but at least if you go, you won't spend all day in line. though I;m sure on a good day, they'll be packed again.

What's the latest on the lift? Didn't they say end of January now?

tnt1234

nope. very luxe house rental in winhall with my parents, my sisters, their husbands, their kids, my partner and me. big family trip. arrive thursday night leave sunday afternoon. sad about the incoming R. we'll have fun no matter what.
Oh right, family trip...

You said everyone is more into Stratton?

Yeah, doesn't seem like the right weekend to push for Magic if everyone is set on something else...And it temps dip, Stratton snowmaking will make a difference I would think.

KustyTheKlown

Oh right, family trip...

You said everyone is more into Stratton?

Yeah, doesn't seem like the right weekend to push for Magic if everyone is set on something else...And it temps dip, Stratton snowmaking will make a difference I would think.

no one is really into anything. they're all casual skiers/non-skiers. my brother in law is like a groomer low intermediate, and he got an epic pass because his friends wanted epic passes. but this is an ikon (or magic) trip. sorry brother in law. my sisters will ski one day. my older of the two nephews (4) will ski - his first time ever was this trip last year at sugarbush and he had a blast. my dad has not skied in many years and wants to, but is iffy on the conditions. my mom and partner wont ski. other BIL wont ski. its mostly a big hang.

i just know that stratton will groom EVERYTHING and that will give my family of beginners and out of practice intermediates a fighting chance.

tnt1234

no one is really into anything. they're all casual skiers/non-skiers. my brother in law is like a groomer low intermediate, and he got an epic pass because his friends wanted epic passes. but this is an ikon (or magic) trip. sorry brother in law. my sisters will ski one day. my older of the two nephews (4) will ski - his first time ever was this trip last year at sugarbush and he had a blast. my dad has not skied in many years and wants to, but is iffy on the conditions. my mom and partner wont ski. other BIL wont ski. its mostly a big hang.

i just know that stratton will groom EVERYTHING and that will give my family of beginners and out of practice intermediates a fighting chance.
Seems like the right call.

ne_skier

Anyone else worried about the business level at the mountain this weekend?
Definitely surprised by the low crowds. That being said, its a freezing day of skiing just 4 days after MLK weekend and it wasn't until a day or two before that we had a grasp on how much was really going to open. There wasn't one big storm preceding this to really advertise the weekend and bring in the big Indy Pass/day ticket crowds either.
As for the Black lift stuff, although I find the lines to be worth it, many people don't, and I'm sure a handful of people are avoiding Magic on huge rope-dropping days for that reason. Still believe the weather and other factors are what kept crowds low in that case. The latest is that Pfister is doing "final drive and tower safety work" and the lift will be done "soon".

As of Saturday, UMC, LMC, Medium, Wand and Showoff had wall-to-wall grooming while a few other east side trails (and Talisman) had a groomer-width strip down the middle. Would make sense to groom whatever they can flat before the warmup/mixed precip if they have the ability.

RustyGroomer

They'd totally have a fighting chance. Not swaying one way or the other but like ne-skier said, it was groomed out nicely. Shazam24-1.jpgShazam24.jpgGoniff24.jpg
Great weekend with even a few 1st descents mixed in!

urungus

You skied Windham and Hunter in one day? Do you have Ikon and Epic?
Yes and Yes. First time visiting both places. I skied Windham from 8:30 - 2:00 and then thought what the hell, Hunter is only 15 minutes away, let’s see If I can find a decent parking spot, and I did. Full IKON + Epic Northeast value.

tnt1234

Yes and Yes. First time visiting both places. I skied Windham from 8:30 - 2:00 and then thought what the hell, Hunter is only 15 minutes away, let’s see If I can find a decent parking spot, and I did. Full IKON + Epic Northeast value.
That's awesome.

How was Windham? I've never been.

skithetrees

Skiing was surprisingly good. I think the cold kept a lot of people away. It was nice to see them blowing snow non-stop to help mitigate the effects of the upcoming weather. I suspect the weather will knock a lot of trails out of play, but much of the base will remain. As soon as they get another 6-12” of snow my hope is a lot will be back in play.

Regarding black, I have serious doubts it runs this year. Hope I am wrong. Beginning to think they should light it on fire and hope it’s well insured.

Hillwalker95

Skied Sunday - bluebird and really not that cold; no more than 5 mins to get on lift, most of the time significantly less. West side had just opened but was pretty good. Surprised Wizard had decent snow and was open top to bottom. Talisman and Sorcerer also decent; Heart of Magician less so - chopped up with a largish gully mid trail. Some really good runs East side - Vertigo, On Your Sleeve in particular but also Trick and Mystery were fun.

letitsnow1

I skied magic on Saturday and crowds were what i expected considering the weather.some trails were better than others but overall skiing was great. Last year the crowds seemed like feast or famine. On powder days and right after everyone shows up otherwise not so much. Indy pass brings the crowds when conditions are good but doent seem to help whenever things are just ok. I think if magic was 100% open on Thursday and Friday more people would have planned on going.
As far as black I give it 50/50 chance of open this year. I don't mind only red to the top, longer lifeline but uncrowded enjoyable runs down.im not sure how much black we change that un crowded feel on the trails. i do understand they need black for a backup to red.

NYDB

I doubt the warmup will do too much damage. A couple of inches prior also helps.

But the predicted dip into freezing temps early saturday will probably fuck the natural for a bit.

Who knows. You may get lucky and it stays soft.