• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Overall warm pattern for next couple of weeks before what looks to be reload into a good pattern. But there may be a late weekend surprise, and maybe some sneaky cold thereafter. It would be a nice payback for 2 mix events - and an mis to the south - during an otherwise favorable pattern these past few weeks.

Low crowds = “off” weekend after MLK, poor weather over MLK, and lack of advance notice that the Mountian would get to 100%. And for the real wimps, which doesn’t (shouldn’t) impact Magic as much - cold.

As far as some arguments here and elsewhere about “do we need black” - for Magics survival, yes. They need to be able to sell more tickets on big days. Full stop. Skis crossed……

letitsnow1

I don't see how they can sell more tickets without more parking. A, B and C lots were all full on the busiest days last year. But I do understand they need black to stay in business

ne_skier

Most of the real skiers I've talked to know about Magic and how awesome the terrain is, but their reasoning for never going is always either "aren't they still trying to get that lift in" or (less common as of late) "do they really have snowmaking there yet?" Getting that lift done would be a major boost for them business-wise and for good reason - I like fresh, untracked powder as much as anyone else but I'll sacrifice 1-2 runs of untracked powder for more runs total thanks to drastically shortened liftlines. You get the idea.

skithetrees

Most of the real skiers I've talked to know about Magic and how awesome the terrain is, but their reasoning for never going is always either "aren't they still trying to get that lift in" or (less common as of late) "do they really have snowmaking there yet?" Getting that lift done would be a major boost for them business-wise and for good reason - I like fresh, untracked powder as much as anyone else but I'll sacrifice 1-2 runs of untracked powder for more runs total thanks to drastically shortened liftlines. You get the idea.
Absolutely. Many of my friends say they will come with their kids once the quad is up. As primarily dads with two young kids each that ski, not all being able to have a grown up with each kid on the lift is kind of an issue for some.

tnt1234

Overall warm pattern for next couple of weeks before what looks to be reload into a good pattern. But there may be a late weekend surprise, and maybe some sneaky cold thereafter. It would be a nice payback for 2 mix events - and an mis to the south - during an otherwise favorable pattern these past few weeks.

Low crowds = “off” weekend after MLK, poor weather over MLK, and lack of advance notice that the Mountian would get to 100%. And for the real wimps, which doesn’t (shouldn’t) impact Magic as much - cold.

As far as some arguments here and elsewhere about “do we need black” - for Magics survival, yes. They need to be able to sell more tickets on big days. Full stop. Skis crossed……
Shake your magic 8-ball for the weekend of feb 2 please. We'll be skiing somewhere in S.vt, and I want it to be magic...isn't there a chance for something 1/29-30?

tnt1234

Yeah....I can see that.

slatham

Shake your magic 8-ball for the weekend of feb 2 please. We'll be skiing somewhere in S.vt, and I want it to be magic...isn't there a chance for something 1/29-30?
Ha wish it were that easy. Beyond Sunday (hell even Sunday) it’s a bit unclear. Definitely some opportunities around 1/31 but that’s a ways out and the NE is on the edge between above normal temps to our southwest, and more seasonal temps pushing down from Eastern Canada. I hope things materialize as my next stint up is likely 1/31-2/6 or so.

MidnightJester

Never been there, I really would like to go to MAGIC with both lifts running but Is that even possible this year?

---Magic mountain management comment--
"Black Line Quad work is continuing by Pfister Mtn Services and Green Mountain Controls with lift expected to be completed soon once final drive work and tower safety work can be completed for load testing and inspection."

What kind of timeframe is that for the kind LIFT knowledgeable people out there?? per job, per total job, They list "3" jobs or events in there at least that need to be done.

mm1jp2

Never been there, I really would like to go to MAGIC with both lifts running but Is that even possible this year?

"Black Line Quad work is continuing by Pfister Mtn Services and Green Mountain Controls with lift expected to be completed soon once final drive work and tower safety work can be completed for load testing and inspection."

What kind of timeframe is that for the kind LIFT knowledgeable people out there?? per job, per total job, They list "3" jobs or events in there at least that need to be done.
Don't bother if you're just going to bust balls with no knowledge of the ski area.

KustyTheKlown

a6d63c85-aac7-4e30-8180-f674e3672d78_text.gif

KustyTheKlown

love that jester's comment brought a 3 year lurker to make their first post

hello magic mountain investor/employee/homeowner, and welcome!

icecoast1

At this point, anyone that can accurately predict when black will be done should also start picking lottery numbers, you'll be a rich person

Black debacle asside, I would still go to Magic as long as Red is going

tnt1234

It really seems like they have no idea what the steps are to get a new lift running....

And I was thinking about this....this goes back a bit....but they had the haul cable on last year, right? Then they determined the cable had to be replaced....

THEN they determined there was a problem with tower alignment?

How could they have had the first cable on without realizing the towers were out of alignment?

Hillwalker95

At this point, anyone that can accurately predict when black will be done should also start picking lottery numbers, you'll be a rich person

Black debacle asside, I would still go to Magic as long as Red is going
Agreed. Red lift is quite painfully slow, but it's got some great terrain - something for everyone. Not crowded and plenty of natural trails.

skithetrees

It’s a bit complicated, but there have been problems at every step. I honestly don’t think even magic has a timeline at this point and I wouldn’t even confidently say this season.