• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

KustyTheKlown

I wonder what happened.

Doesn't seem like the right conditions fro back country in S.Vt.

Do people ski off the back side of magic? Or the shoulders?

Sad news.

The back of magic is an “abandoned” ski area, so yes. But I read this was a snowshoer and a likely cardiac episode

urungus

On my first visit to Magic, I accidentally took the abandoned connector trail halfway over to Timber Ridge, dodged a few snowmobiles, and then went back to Magic via a second connector trail going in the opposite direction. Posted a map earlier in this thread (post 526). They have some signage up there now warning people not to go that way :)

Run 3:

tnt1234

On my first visit to Magic, I accidentally took the abandoned connector trail halfway over to Timber Ridge, dodged a few snowmobiles, and then went back to Magic via a second connector trail going in the opposite direction. Posted a map earlier in this thread (post 526). They have some signage up there now warning people not to go that way :)

Run 3:

Wow - how was the trail?

tnt1234

I hate to say it, but I'm definitely taking my wife there Sat. Not sure it's the right move conditions-wise, but she's never been and who knows how long they can make it. This season really feels tough...

NYDB

I hate to say it, but I'm definitely taking my wife there Sat. Not sure it's the right move conditions-wise, but she's never been and who knows how long they can make it. This season really feels tough...
it'll be a good day. low crowds. maybe they open back up tali/sorcerer. probably just need to make snow on lower wiz. should have the opportunity by Sat.

tnt1234

it'll be a good day. low crowds. maybe they open back up tali/sorcerer. probably just need to make snow on lower wiz. should have the opportunity by Sat.
I've skied their three days in my life. Think I've done one run on the east side. Looking forward to checking that side out.

Sunshine corner is a bar? Is that open this year?

MG Skier

Webcam had active snowmaking on lower Hocus Pocus this morning and now pointed towards lower wizard runout maybe they lit up someplace else in addition?
T-Bar in winter near the bottom of the Green Chair. I'll be there for lunch and non-dry February on Saturday!

slatham

The unfortunate fatality was someone snowshoeing up the designated uphill trail on a post ski day group outing. Very sad.

Regarding yesterday, the forecast was for 6-8” of snow which meets the powder day criteria. They had to make the call on Saturday to both staff the mountain and get a decent crowd - they couldn’t wait until Monday morning.

I think they have plenty of base they just need the new snow to get worked in properly. They ended up opening Twilight Zone and Goniff, so enough snow for steeps. They are also making snow again to get more groomers with good base opened. I would guess lower Wand into Hocus Pocus, and then either Tick and/or Carumba.

Sunshine Corner bar is usually a spring skiing activity, with the T Bar (with fire pit) for winter.