• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

urungus

On my first visit to Magic, I accidentally took the abandoned connector trail halfway over to Timber Ridge, dodged a few snowmobiles, and then went back to Magic via a second connector trail going in the opposite direction. Posted a map earlier in this thread (post 526). They have some signage up there now warning people not to go that way :)

Run 3:

Wow - how was the trail?

It was narrow but not overgrown, mind you this was 7 years ago. Gentle slope that was rated a green circle. I don’t remember the views because I was trying to figure out where the heck I was, LOL

Below is trail map from 1987 when Magic Had briefly absorbed Timber Ridge, I did trail #24 Magic Pass and #26 Catch the Wave

I don’t recommend it as the area is not patrolled, you could get run over by the snowmobilers using Timber Ridge, and if you miss the turn back you will be stuck far away from the Magic base area.

IMG_1894.jpeg

LiquidSnow

Snowmaking active on Carumba -> Lower Red, Hocus Pocus, and Little Dipper. Looks like good weather Saturday.
View attachment 60915
Long time reader - first time poster here ...
Can anyone explain this ... Why are they making snow on Upper Little Dipper ? This appears to be in the area where the expanded upper beginner area handle tow was supposed to operate. Is this once promised lift actually complete ? Because otherwise making snow here seems like a waste of limited snowmaking resources. I don't get it .

Newpylong

That's really the name for the entire trail...including the carpet but considering all of the 300 line is already covered it would not be a waste because that water can't go anywhere else.

JoeB-Z

Really good skiing today. I can only ski the groomed stuff as I am breaking in the new knee. I thought nothing was going on with Black but I kept hearing this hammering over toward the top of Pitch Black. Third run I see a guy up on the tower right by the top of Wizard with the sheave assembly disengaged from the cable. I think there were two different teams working on the towers.

tnt1234

Really good skiing today. I can only ski the groomed stuff as I am breaking in the new knee. I thought nothing was going on with Black but I kept hearing this hammering over toward the top of Pitch Black. Third run I see a guy up on the tower right by the top of Wizard with the sheave assembly disengaged from the cable. I think there were two different teams working on the towers.
Smart move not to tell everyone they are working....then one day it will just be open!

MG Skier

IIRC it looked like all of the towers had the coms wired as of last Saturday.
(Orange wire beween comm line and brittle bars). Thats a positive!
I'll be back Saturday and looking forward to it.
Maybe I'll make "A" lot again?

Zand

Was trying to figure out what I want to do this Sunday, Magic might be the answer. I know it's probably not great but at least stuff like Goniff and Twilight is open and some other interesting stuff. Maybe with the sun actually coming out by then things will soften up just a little bit?

KustyTheKlown

still gonna be pretty cold. im debating sugarbush loon stratton magic for sunday. sugarbush or loon would involve a drive in the wrong direction sunday morning.

Zand

Lower elevation will help Magic a bit in that regard.

I'm just thinking that the big places might be a shit show with the hardpack conditions, plus recent new snow down here mixed with nice weather this weekend and blustery conditions. Lot of people and a lot of ice...

JoeB-Z

See slathams trip report.

You can enter Black Line from Witch, rather than Broomstick, which looked decent. Witch is not open often. I can't ski Black Line yet due to new knee. I did move to bigger, wider skis and that was some very successful progress.

I did a survey of the brittle bars and I could not find a tower without them at the top or lower Black Line. They were taking a sheave off I think Tower 16. Before the start of Pitch Black. I think they take the sheaves down to install the brittle bars?

They opened Red Line and promptly mediocre snowboarders were bulldozing the steep parts. They probably bulldozed the snow off Witch on their next "shredding" run.

Zand

Made my reservation for tomorrow. First time up there in 15 years. Sounds like the sun helped a bit today and tomorrow looks a couple degrees warmer so hoping it's decent!

RH29

Likewise. We'll see how the natural holds up, but it should be a decent day. I'm hoping it's not obscenely crowded.

Newpylong

See slathams trip report.

You can enter Black Line from Witch, rather than Broomstick, which looked decent. Witch is not open often. I can't ski Black Line yet due to new knee. I did move to bigger, wider skis and that was some very successful progress.

I did a survey of the brittle bars and I could not find a tower without them at the top or lower Black Line. They were taking a sheave off I think Tower 16. Before the start of Pitch Black. I think they take the sheaves down to install the brittle bars?

They opened Red Line and promptly mediocre snowboarders were bulldozing the steep parts. They probably bulldozed the snow off Witch on their next "shredding" run.
Watched a boarder heelside the entire way down Breakaway at K today. Was pretty mint...

ne_skier

Good day at Magic yesterday. Icy between the bumps, but otherwise the crusty snow softened up as the sun came out, certainly good enough for a full 8:30-4:00 ski day. Goniff skied great but Witch's iciness kept me off of it for the afternoon (Rangers-Bruins preseason game on Witch, anyone?). Beautiful sunny day though with just about perfect ski weather.
Guns blowing on Carumba and Lower Red Line, I'm not up on the terminology, it looked like they were using Ratniks but had HKD impulse sleds along the side, presumably for night use/when temps go down. The guns near the Carumba exit were re-aimed to hit the upper part of Lower Red and Trudy's after my lunch break. Talisman is probably a good candidate for some snowmaking if they hope to groom that trail wall-to-wall as they have before, natural snow only allowed for one cat-width down and it was pretty sketchy. Unfortunately there's still some pretty heavy storm damage on Middle & Lower Wizard, Potter, HOM and Bailout with big ruts where culverts presumably were and very big snowless patches with running water at the Wizard/Slide of Hans intersection and the Bailout/HOM intersection.
Around 20 minute lines at Red around midday, not ideal but not as brutal as last season. There was someone de-icing Black's return during the day, hopefully indicating that they'll have it spinning to be worked on in the near future.
1707089045000.png1707089068214.png1707089098201.png

tnt1234

Was at Magic saturday. Natural trails are shot, but we had a lot of fun ripping the groomers. Lines were pretty long, but not terrible.

Hit Bromley Sunday, and same thing.

Both sunny days so it was a great weekend away.