• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

MidnightJester

Sooooo close : )
Magic mountain Management comment!
"Black Line Quad work is being finalized by Pfister Mtn Services with final drive work and testing upcoming."

NYDB

It was moving this week with the mechanics on. Looks close to completion to this laymans eyes.

Baller move would to open it and not mention it at all in alpine updates / snow reports.

ne_skier

Was spinning yesterday. Work carrier went up, sheaves checked uphill and downhill, carrier came off afterward. Chairs getting numbered too.

I don’t want to get too excited, but there’s no way they’d be doing work this far into winter if they didn’t seriously like their chances of getting it operating this season

NYDB

Oh they are definitely shooting for Prez weekend/week, no doubt.

Good luck to them. I'll be watching with great interest from Coloradbro

cdskier

"The mountain must remain closed both Tuesday and Wednesday for Quad Lift load testing"

MidnightJester

"The mountain must remain closed both Tuesday and Wednesday for Quad Lift load testing"
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Are you trying to get the mountain to yourself : ) or is there something from Management. My Magic drive to explore the mountain soon looks closer and closer :) Question is before or after the Black lift opens cause it looks like Magic is in a possible 12" Snow drop zone for Tuesday at this moment

Last edited:

cdskier

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Are you trying to get the mountain to yourself : ) or is there something from Management. My Magic drive to explore the mountain soon looks closer and closer :) Question is before or after the Black lift opens cause it looks like Magic is in a possible 12" Snow drop zone for Tuesday at this moment

That was copy/pasted from the snow report on Magic's website:
1707682381944.png

drjeff

Magic is "I think" still hosting an iconic racing event for athletes of the Southern VT Council, next Sunday, a slalom for the U14's on Talisman. It's basically a right of passage race for Southern VT Council athletes, on the Sunday of President's Weekend. Having the Black spinning (hopefully) would be great for them!

letitsnow1

It would take a miracle, they haven't made any snow on that side and it looks like there going to finish trick when Temps drop.

slatham

While things can change, plan I heard was to finish Trick and then move to Talisman.

I also heard today from a race dad that there is supposed to be a race at Magic but it’s not yet on the calendar. We speculated it was the race on Talisman that isn’t official yet as they haven’t made snow on it yet?

In any event I find it hard to believe they’d do it Sunday of Presidents weekend. In fact a BOC coach I had a beer with today said no races over the weekend, only one on Monday at Pico.

The following weekend makes way more sense.

drjeff

While things can change, plan I heard was to finish Trick and then move to Talisman.

I also heard today from a race dad that there is supposed to be a race at Magic but it’s not yet on the calendar. We speculated it was the race on Talisman that isn’t official yet as they haven’t made snow on it yet?

In any event I find it hard to believe they’d do it Sunday of Presidents weekend. In fact a BOC coach I had a beer with today said no races over the weekend, only one on Monday at Pico.

The following weekend makes way more sense.
Was dealing with mogul coaches at Mount Snow today FITW!..

As the 1st jump today judge, definitely a few issue's that rightly slow, slowed things down!

MidnightJester

Final drive? What?
That was from their site last week.

If they are Testing this week I would think the Final drive work is done now. As to what that means could be Motor or Motor house or anything with a bearing or gear in it in the Drive house lol.
Possibly the Company going along to each Tower in a chair/work chair to final inspect each tower before official testing

ne_skier

Good temps this week at night starting tomorrow for snowmaking for them to move to Wizard/Talisman.
Talisman is definitely a top priority after Trick to get something groomed on the West Side and extend West Side skiing into spring, but the Wizard runout and the chute could use a little love too, if not the whole trail but that might be much depending on how much Trick needs. My understanding is it’s harder to get snowmaking over there but if done that’s a big plus with these crowds.

Newpylong

That was from their site last week.

If they are Testing this week I would think the Final drive work is done now. As to what that means could be Motor or Motor house or anything with a bearing or gear in it in the Drive house lol.
Possibly the Company going along to each Tower in a chair/work chair to final inspect each tower before official testing
By "drive" they're referring to the soft start and panels that control the motor, not the motor itself.

Newpylong

Talisman is definitely a top priority after Trick to get something groomed on the West Side and extend West Side skiing into spring, but the Wizard runout and the chute could use a little love too, if not the whole trail but that might be much depending on how much Trick needs. My understanding is it’s harder to get snowmaking over there but if done that’s a big plus with these crowds.
Yes, if Talisman is going to get snowmaking so will the Chute and run out, that goes without saying. Middle Wizard likely will not.

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

Black lift is running at full speed on the camera at 12:18PM. I only saw half speed last week. They changed a post saying they would not open for a powder day Tu and W due to load testing. Probably not a powder day anyway now.