• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

letitsnow1

Yesterday the hoses were attached on lower trick that already had some snow made. There were no signs of anything on upper trick, hopefully they finish up there and move west by the end of the week but I wouldn't count on it. Also upper hocus pocus and carumba could use some more snow

skithetrees

Yes, if Talisman is going to get snowmaking so will the Chute and run out, that goes without saying. Middle Wizard likely will not.
The shoot and the run out were spicy Sunday. My son really wanted to ski it Sunday, despite my warnings. He made it down quite well, but that might have been the gnarliest I have seen it. Solid ice, narrow snow bridges over culverts, spicy for sure. Thought they had made more snow over there, but clearly not. I am pleasantly surprised that black may be running this weekend. With some snow, that would be a huge boost.

One disappointment though, skiing some of the greens with the kids, I was shocked by the number of people bombing down ripping gs turns through the beginners—some in magic jackets. Made me think of the “don’t Stratton magic” slogan from years back. Not having to deal with that used to be a huge perk of magic.

Newpylong

Keep in mind even if the load test passes they could be given a punch list of items before they are able to load customers. At this point there has been plenty of time to deal with those, but you never know. Many times these are simple things like signage, safety trips (for people going around the bullwheel etc).

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Keep in mind even if the load test passes they could be given a punch list of items before they are able to load customers. At this point there has been plenty of time to deal with those, but you never know. Many times these are simple things like signage, safety trips (for people going around the bullwheel etc).
I'm going there for the first time ever March 3-5! Hoping to enjoy it!

djd66

Just curious, what do they put in the barrels for the load test? Water?

Newpylong

Test looks complete and they are well on their way to getting all the barrels off. Fingers crossed, but typically the test would not be over if there were significant issues with the load test.

slatham

Well not sure about the load test, but Magic’s luck with the weather just turned. While it might be inflated with blow in, cam shows 7” this morning. It definitely snowed in area with Bromley 2-3” and Okemo cam looking like 4”. But an early morning radar check showed a streamer right over Magic. Valentines fairy……

If this next clipper delivers 2-3 or maybe 4 it’ll be sweet.

Newpylong

The silence is ominous.

Looks like snowmaking on Upper Trick from their webcam. Hopefully some is landing, really windy today up here.

Last edited:

ne_skier

Snow Report:
February 14th: Magic picked up a surprise 5-6″ last night! Uphill touring is closed and will remain closed until Thursday morning at 9am with ongoing snowmaking, Quad work, and snow preservation for our Thursday opening.
New snow probably doesn't mean much for the possibility of Talisman being groomed, but it should keep the ungroomed stuff fresh throughout the weekend. No idea where it came from but nice to see.
Wonder if the "quad work" is checklist stuff post-inspection or if the inspection (specifically the tower-checking part Newpylong talked about a page or two ago) is still ongoing. Lift was spinning on and off at full speed pretty much till sundown yesterday.

slatham

Current word on the mountain was it was closer to 8” up top. Even though light/dry this will help tremendously.

slatham

Yeah, where did those 6 inches come from? Not Complaining!
I checked radar a number of times. This was classic cellular snow shower activity that turned into “streamers” once the front passed. Very upslope oriented. Not typically a good set up for Magic. But a NW-SE streamer set up that hit Brom and Magic. No predicting that. Purely snow gods smiling….

Oh and this was the northern stream system that failed to phase with southern storm and resulted in zero snow from coastal. It must have felt bad for us lol……

MG Skier

I checked radar a number of times. This was classic cellular snow shower activity that turned into “streamers” once the front passed. Very upslope oriented. Not typically a good set up for Magic. But a NW-SE streamer set up that hit Brom and Magic. No predicting that. Purely snow gods smiling….

Oh and this was the northern stream system that failed to phase with southern storm and resulted in zero snow from coastal. It must have felt bad for us lol……
That would explain it. Any snow is good snow. 6-8 will fill in some bare spots.

ne_skier

As per Magic snow report, Black passed its load test yesterday and will undergo state inspection this Saturday. Unfortunately looks like it will miss the brunt of the weekend traffic (“possible” opening Monday) but I didn’t think I’d see this day this season a month ago.