• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

KustyTheKlown

magic wasn't going from defunct to open. they transitioned ownership but they were already operational.

slatham

It's interesting to see how Magic has apparently re-opened without too many snags but Tenney is still pending. There was of course the lawsuit with that grifter at Tenney which didn't help. Did the new owners of Magic just have a ton more cash when they bought?

I do not know the situation at Tenney, but I do know that Magic had key people (Geoff, Matt, George {RIP), Travis, Brownie, Craig, etc. etc.) who knew the mountain extremely well - warts and all. So from before day 1 they knew what needed to be done, in what order, at what expense etc. And of course they had the funding lined up to accomplish what they felt was necessary to make Magic a going concern. I know they have hit some snags, as one would expect. But one step back has always been followed by two steps forward.

Also, to give some credit to previous regimes, Magic had "reopened" many years ago and was - often times by a thread - in continuous operation.

That said what Ski Magic has done in the past 14 months is nothing short of phenomenal.

IceEidolon

Magic needed CPR. Tenney needed necromancy.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

To echo the others, Magic had a few benefits including 1) operational history, 2) reasonable financial records that formed the initial base to forecast off, 3) an ownership structure that, while convoluted, enabled the Nelson family (previous owners of the land) to drive the prior group towards a sale, 4) the Nelson family's desire to see a group dedicated to keeping Magic special come in and run the place even if it meant significant financial concessions on their part, 5) a new ownership group backed by successful business owners and/or investors, 6) the help of past employees to build a business plan, 7) a recognition that significant investment and a few years of negative cash flows were necessary to achieve their goals, and 8) the EXTREME dedication of the core team... Geoff, Matt, Travis, Craig, Denise, Brownie, Mellissa, Kerry, (I am sure I am missing a few).

Lots of stars aligned, but so far they are killing it. I can only imagine what the next few years hold.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

So far this season how have the skier visits numbers been looking? I know of all the great improvements and dedication of the ownership team and don't want to go negative but without more skier visits all will be for naught. I love the place and want to see it succeed for many years to come.

Vaughn

Magic needed CPR. Tenney needed necromancy.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Ha! That's a great summation in six words. Thanks all for the answers.

Anyone getting into the ski area business seems crazy to me, whether it's Magic, Tenney or Otten's crazy scheme to build a resort very, very far away from any major population centers.

JamaicaMan

So far this season how have the skier visits numbers been looking? I know of all the great improvements and dedication of the ownership team and don't want to go negative but without more skier visits all will be for naught. I love the place and want to see it succeed for many years to come.

YTD, despite the recent weather challenges which are impacting sales/visits across the state, our skier visit numbers are exceeding Year 2 plan goals.

YTD, despite the recent weather challenges which are impacting sales/visits across the state, our skier visit numbers are exceeding Year 2 plan goals.

It’s crazy there are people downstairs! I didn’t know the lodge had more than one floor.

People are bringing their whole family children, girlfriends, wives, no longer do you have to drop your family off at Bromley and sneak over to Magic to keep everyone happy.

NYDB

^lol. I definitely have dropped gf at Stratton and then driven to magic, at least once.

I'll be doing that Super Monday with the wife and younger kid if we get any significant snow. since I am assuming a 'powder day' type operations level on 2/5 (no snowschool, BLT only for food/bev)

slatham

It’s crazy there are people downstairs! I didn’t know the lodge had more than one floor.

People are bringing their whole family children, girlfriends, wives, no longer do you have to drop your family off at Bromley and sneak over to Magic to keep everyone happy.

This alone could drive tickets sales 50%+ higher! Great to hear Magic is above targets despite some challenges along the way. I think Feb will deliver, with a small start tomorrow/Friday.

JamaicaMan

I have never been to Magic. Is it boarder friendly and are their any annoyances I need to know about such as abysmal parking gridlock (Okemo) ....looks like the 802 is getting all the snow this week

Gridlock here is when you can't get any internet #offthegrid

We even have boarders that are quite friendly

slatham

Is Magic going to be open Wednesday for a powder day based on the current forecast of 8" + ?

Let's get the potential snow due tomorrow down on the ground and then think about mid week. But as I see it yes it could be worthy of a powder day but Thursday not Wednesday.

JamaicaMan

Is Magic going to be open Wednesday for a powder day based on the current forecast of 8" + ?

Magic has a private rental event on Wednesday. But as SLatham says, most snow falls on Wednesday not before so Thursday would be the pow day anyway--hopefully that snow happens as predicted!