• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ShadyGrove

Thinking about my third try at our first Magic Trip for President's Day weekend. I've booked rooms twice in the last two years only to be blown out by weather.

- Am I right in thinking Magic will be less crowded that nearby mountains?
- Will there be ticket limits in place? Should I pre-buy?
- I realize it's a week and a half out, but thoughts on the weather? Worried about that warm up middle of next week.

You guys getting there this weekend should really be in for a treat.

-Yes, Magic will be less crowded than Stratton, Bromley, and Okemo
-Yes, there is a ticket limit in place every day. Pre-buy for savings or get there early.
-There will be snow on the mountain during Prezi week. What do you mean 'blown out by weather'? I'm looking back at my photos from the last few Febs and see I was skiing backcountry lines each year. If I was skiing BC, the mountains surely had plenty of terrain open.

tnt1234

-Yes, Magic will be less crowded than Stratton, Bromley, and Okemo
-Yes, there is a ticket limit in place every day. Pre-buy for savings or get there early.
-There will be snow on the mountain during Prezi week. What do you mean 'blown out by weather'? I'm looking back at my photos from the last few Febs and see I was skiing backcountry lines each year. If I was skiing BC, the mountains surely had plenty of terrain open.

Thanks.

First effort was two X-mas breaks ago. I think they opened with like 1 or 2 ways down. We cancelled and went to Stowe - which had like 3 or 4!

Second effort was the weekend after that giant rain this past January.

mriceyman

Idk about prez weekend but this weekend should be pretty dam good

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

-Yes, Magic will be less crowded than Stratton, Bromley, and Okemo.

Brom and Magic are usually equally uncrowded IMO. On a powder day Brom is much less crowded. They are both mountains where you'll recognize most people skiing there throughout the day.

Since I was hoping to get to Magic soon anyway I'm thinking about this free Valentine's Day special. Saves me a Ski VT pass!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Tomorrow is "Powder Day" pricing because of the storm. Am I the only one who thinks that practice is totally wrong and blatant price gouging? And don't say it "protects the snow from traffic" because 90% of the people who'd by a ticket for $29 are gonna buy one for $61 given its a foot of snow.

I know I'm opening a can of worms... don't crucify me...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
You disagree with a business charging full price for their best product?

How about free powder days and $61 for the WROD?

No, I disagree with jacking up ticket prices (with as little at 3 hours notice) when the rate as already been advertised.

Every major New England ski area will have their "best product" on display tomorrow. The price of a walk-up ticket tomorrow will be whatever it was promised to be when the mountain released it's rates in the Fall. White ribbon of death or powder day. Magic is the exception.

IceEidolon

No, I disagree with jacking up ticket prices (with as little at 3 hours notice) when the rate as already been advertised.

Every major New England ski area will have their "best product" on display tomorrow. The price of a walk-up ticket tomorrow will be whatever it was promised to be when the mountain released it's rates in the Fall. White ribbon of death or powder day. Magic is the exception.
They always charge the Powder Day rate for 6"+ though?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

If $61 is the advertised price, but they lowered it for marginal conditions on opening day would you insist on paying full price because it was advertised long in advance? Are other VT hills charging less than $61 tomorrow? Maybe go there.

I don't know the financials but I'd bet that Magic's future far from assured. If Magic is going to survive they are going to have to make some money sometime. How many days do they operate in an average season?

Personally I think $60 is not unreasonable to take you up the hill 20 or 30 times in a day. Without a lift you could get maybe 3 or 4 runs in a day. I think we expect a lot.

EDIT: I checked out Bromley, it looks like $80 (?) with the disclaimer that says prices are subject to change without notice, $79 if you buy more than one day in advance.

Last edited:

cdskier

The specials page on their website clearly says Throwback Thursday rates don't apply if there's 6+ inches of powder though...or are you saying this page was changed just today to add that verbiage?

JamaicaMan

The specials page on their website clearly says Throwback Thursday rates don't apply if there's 6+ inches of powder though...or are you saying this page was changed just today to add that verbiage?

Been there all year. Last year too. This is why we can't have nice things.

cdskier

Been there all year. Last year too. This is why we can't have nice things.

That's what I suspected...so someone is complaining about something because they didn't actually pay attention to the details originally. Nice!

cdskier

No, I get this has been the policy for a few years.

Ok, then why the following comment?

Personally I would not at all be against ski areas in general charging a premium for day ticket rates on powder days. I'm sure there are people that disagree. I have a much larger issue with the rates some (or even many) areas charge early season or even late season for limited terrain. Charging more for the best conditions though? It actually makes a lot of sense.

JamaicaMan

Yeah and it's not like we changed the price 3 hrs in advance. We saw the storm as far back as Sunday and emailed folks then that Thursday would be a powder Day price and included it in fb twitter website snow report etc all week. But you can't hit everyone I guess...

rocks860

Yeah I’m not sure I get what the issue is here. I’m more concerned with Stowe charging 120 bucks for a ticket on a crap day then magic charging full price (which is almost half of this) on a day with great conditions. Especially since it’s an openly advertised policy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Game

In 1986, our just-formed high school ski club planned a trip to Magic Mountain. I don't know how we got lost but we did, and we wound up at Bromley. Since then, I have still not been to Magic. That changes very soon --- bought tix online for tomorrow. Been following this thread a long time. Looking forward to all the investments both in money and in sweat.