• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

mriceyman

Agreed, my last visit to magic was not ideal (the winter carnival weekend last year) so this should be much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course we might have to deal with a little wet weather later in the day but i dont think it will be too bad

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

rocks860

Of course we might have to deal with a little wet weather later in the day but i dont think it will be too bad

My last visit basically everything was almost solid ice. I think we did 3 runs then called it quits

mriceyman

My last visit basically everything was almost solid ice. I think we did 3 runs then called it quits

That will definitely not be the case Saturday.. maybe even a couple inches fri nite sat morning.. after the 22” this week.. it will be hovering around freezing. Should be a great day

Jully

Personally I would not at all be against ski areas in general charging a premium for day ticket rates on powder days. I'm sure there are people that disagree. I have a much larger issue with the rates some (or even many) areas charge early season or even late season for limited terrain. Charging more for the best conditions though? It actually makes a lot of sense.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and actually like the policy. Almost every other business has variable pricing schemes based on the product and time of year.

More people want to ski weekends than midweek, so ticket prices are higher on weekends. Those price differences are advertised just about as well as Magic advertises their powder day rate. More people want to ski on a powder day, so ski areas should absolutely charge a higher rate.

gmcunni

i have no issue with the powder pricing going for a thursday. but are you saying that if you show up on a saturday and it snowed 12 inches on Friday night that you would be ok paying more than the window price for "normal weekends" ? i think window rate is $69, so you'd pay, say $100?

what if you buy in advance for a particular day long before knowing the snow would fly the night before you arrive, you pay a premium at the window to get your ticket?

mriceyman

Done. Certified! Black will be spinning Saturday Sunday. Travis Richmond gets major kudos

Made my night!! I may only get 2-3 days in this year( live in nj with 3 kids under 4) but you guys are my first choice everytime! Cant wait for the kids to ride the new carpet in a couple years.

camberstick

Magic was great yesterday.The whole mountain skied well. no base snow made for a few scrapey moments but what a awesome day. first time up since the lodge was done,very nice.the word is out,I met alot of first timers in the lodge and the mountain was busier than past visits for sure. no pics, too busy riding!

gregnye

I agree with this wholeheartedly and actually like the policy. Almost every other business has variable pricing schemes based on the product and time of year.

More people want to ski weekends than midweek, so ticket prices are higher on weekends. Those price differences are advertised just about as well as Magic advertises their powder day rate. More people want to ski on a powder day, so ski areas should absolutely charge a higher rate.

I disagree. If it is a special "discount" day it should remain a special day regardless of snow conditions.

Sugarbush for example has $30 Thursdays at Mt. Ellen. That's the price regardless of snow conditions. Sometimes you luck out and get a storm on a thursday and sometimes you don't. To charge more money rather than honor that special is just obnoxious.

Another example was Mt. Snow's Founder's Day last year (December 2016) where they got a massive snow storm on a day where tickets were $12. Did they raise the price? No.

Also Cannon. Cannon has lots of special days throughout the week for NH residents. The prices don't fluctuate depending on how much powder (or ice!) Cannon has.

And what if Magic gets 5.9inches of snow? Do they round up to 6 to increase the price? Fluctuating prices open a whole new can of worms.

Next wednesday is free because it's valentines day. Now what if we get snow? Is it not free?

rocks860

Magic was great yesterday.The whole mountain skied well. no base snow made for a few scrapey moments but what a awesome day. first time up since the lodge was done,very nice.the word is out,I met alot of first timers in the lodge and the mountain was busier than past visits for sure. no pics, too busy riding!

I suppose the question for tomorrow is do I bring my 120 wide powder skis or my 100 wide everything else skis. Any insight?

Jully

I disagree. If it is a special "discount" day it should remain a special day regardless of snow conditions.

Sugarbush for example has $30 Thursdays at Mt. Ellen. That's the price regardless of snow conditions. Sometimes you luck out and get a storm on a thursday and sometimes you don't. To charge more money rather than honor that special is just obnoxious.

Another example was Mt. Snow's Founder's Day last year (December 2016) where they got a massive snow storm on a day where tickets were $12. Did they raise the price? No.

Also Cannon. Cannon has lots of special days throughout the week for NH residents. The prices don't fluctuate depending on how much powder (or ice!) Cannon has.

And what if Magic gets 5.9inches of snow? Do they round up to 6 to increase the price? Fluctuating prices open a whole new can of worms.

Next wednesday is free because it's valentines day. Now what if we get snow? Is it not free?

All of the discounts you mentioned are not valid on holidays/holiday periods, I believe (most specials like that typically aren't). What is different about treating a powder day the same way as a holiday?