• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

gmcunni

Think that’s warranted? I’d prefer not to leave a pair sitting on my car all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in the past i've taken 2 pair to a mountain and left one locked to the rack at the base lodge, switching out 1/2 way through the day. if you only want to carry one and are unsure what the day will be like on the mountains i suspect the 100s offer the most versatility.. but depends on the skier as much, if not more so, than the ski. if you can rock the 120s then go for it.

rocks860

in the past i've taken 2 pair to a mountain and left one locked to the rack at the base lodge, switching out 1/2 way through the day. if you only want to carry one and are unsure what the day will be like on the mountains i suspect the 100s offer the most versatility.. but depends on the skier as much, if not more so, than the ski. if you can rock the 120s then go for it.

I regretted not having the 120s last Friday at sugarbush with 6 inches of fresh so I’m leaning that way

rocks860

The 100s have no rocker at all so I’m guessing I’ll appreciate having it

tumbler

I regretted not having the 120s last Friday at sugarbush with 6 inches of fresh so I’m leaning that way

Seriously? My only ski is a 93 and it works just fine especially in 6" Worked just fine in over a foot at Snowbird. So did the old 205's

Plus I'm too mental to have more than one ski, I would be constantly be thinking I'm on the wrong ski and freak out.

Smellytele

Seriously? My only ski is a 93 and it works just fine especially in 6" Worked just fine in over a foot at Snowbird. So did the old 205's

Plus I'm too mental to have more than one ski, I would be constantly be thinking I'm on the wrong ski and freak out.
you just need a matrix to consult to make your decision on what ski to bring. no thinking needed

sull1102

And what if Magic gets 5.9inches of snow? Do they round up to 6 to increase the price? Fluctuating prices open a whole new can of worms.

Next wednesday is free because it's valentines day. Now what if we get snow? Is it not free?

Two very good points, however totally understand why Magic does this.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

I disagree. If it is a special "discount" day it should remain a special day regardless of snow conditions.

Sugarbush for example has $30 Thursdays at Mt. Ellen. That's the price regardless of snow conditions. Sometimes you luck out and get a storm on a thursday and sometimes you don't. To charge more money rather than honor that special is just obnoxious.

Another example was Mt. Snow's Founder's Day last year (December 2016) where they got a massive snow storm on a day where tickets were $12. Did they raise the price? No.

Also Cannon. Cannon has lots of special days throughout the week for NH residents. The prices don't fluctuate depending on how much powder (or ice!) Cannon has.

And what if Magic gets 5.9inches of snow? Do they round up to 6 to increase the price? Fluctuating prices open a whole new can of worms.

Next wednesday is free because it's valentines day. Now what if we get snow? Is it not free?

First of all this is a long held, well known policy. And they warned that powder day pricing would be in effect several days in advance.

Second, they are not open every day like the other resorts mentioned, but have policy of opening for Powder Days with >6" and >50% open at powder day pricing. And this applies to Thursday's.

But the biggest factor is this not a mega area like Sugarbush, or (state sponsored) Cannon or Mt Snow. This is Magic! They need to be smart and maximize revenue (in reasonable ways) in order to survive. $69 for a powder day at Magic is still very reasonable.

With regard to fluctuating pricing, with so many tickets now sold online, fluctuating pricing is reality. Sure, walk up tickets don't change, but when you go online to buy a ticket those prices will vary due to a huge number of factors.

Next Wednesday is free, full stop. Could snow 3' and its still free to you.

makimono

I think of it more as a wicked discount on low snow Thursdays than an extra charge for high snow Thursdays. That may not be how it's worded but I think that's the intent. But I'm a glass half full guy.

I also bring like half a dozen skis and strew them all around the deck. But I've been known to break a ski or two. And bindings, and poles, and boots.

bdfreetuna

I wonder if it's going to be insane crowds on Wed. Not really concerned though because it looks like just a little above freezing temps and sunny so it should be enjoyable regardless esp if both lifts are running.

Euler

As far as the Powder Day pricing on Thursdays...Magic is in the process of coming back from the brink right now. It's a skiers treasure...practically a historic landmark. You should be happy to get the chance to give this little gem of a place 69.00. I bought a pass there this year and couldn't be happier with my decision. Of all the things to complain about available to us, Magic Mountain is not among them. The place is a gem. Go there, have a blast, and spend your money. It costs a lot of money to operate the place for god's sake.

bdfreetuna

Basically yes. You would probably love Bromley though.

Magic is the best Southern VT mountain but it's really the steeps and steep woods that make the mountain stand out, and is also a large amount of their terrain.

The vibe there is very chill and low key, but the terrain will challenge you.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Magic is the best Southern VT mountain but it's really the steeps and steep woods that make the mountain stand out, and is also a large amount of their terrain.

I'd disagree and say it has solid terrain for the novice and expert. There's not much wide-open intermediate terrain though. Lot's of open low-angle stuff though, and of course, solid expert terrain.

I don't understand people who think we're "blessed" to be able to ski Magic for $69. They run two fixed-grip lifts and one magic carpet. They groom minimally and make snow minimally. Payroll is minimal. The reality is they probably make quite a large margin off of each customer, but lack the large customer base that other mountains have.

gregnye

Of all the things to complain about available to us, Magic Mountain is not among them. The place is a gem. Go there, have a blast, and spend your money. It costs a lot of money to operate the place for god's sake.

I love Magic Mountain and I totally love the vibe there! I am just against variable pricing based on snow conditions.

While I have more trust that Magic is doing the right thing because they are not a large company, I am worried that soon the bigger players like Vail Resorts will follow a similar model, adding an additional cost to an already expensive sport.

Euler

There is a solid amount of groomed, low angle terrain there now.

JoeB-Z

Skis for tomorrow question

100s I think. I skied today and this is deep snow but not really powder and it is getting compressed. In to great moguls by the way. I was skiing on the way up from CT so 90s were the widest I had in the van. 100s are loaded already for tomorrow. Plus, it will sprinkle a bit and the snow will only get heavier.

What a day though! 100% open, cycling the black lift. I suppose the question for tomorrow is do I bring my 120 wide powder skis or my 100 wide everything else skis. Any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

rocks860

100s I think. I skied today and this is deep snow but not really powder and it is getting compressed. In to great moguls by the way. I was skiing on the way up from CT so 90s were the widest I had in the van. 100s are loaded already for tomorrow. Plus, it will sprinkle a bit and the snow will only get heavier.

What a day though! 100% open, cycling the black lift. I suppose the question for tomorrow is do I bring my 120 wide powder skis or my 100 wide everything else skis. Any insight?

[/QUOTE]

Well I went with the 120s but I’m not super concerned

Newpylong

I'd disagree and say it has solid terrain for the novice and expert. There's not much wide-open intermediate terrain though. Lot's of open low-angle stuff though, and of course, solid expert terrain.

I don't understand people who think we're "blessed" to be able to ski Magic for $69. They run two fixed-grip lifts and one magic carpet. They groom minimally and make snow minimally. Payroll is minimal. The reality is they probably make quite a large margin off of each customer, but lack the large customer base that other mountains have.

Even at $69, I can guarantee you there isn't much margin - even with minimal staffing, snowmaking etc. There are just so many fixed costs with operating a ski area that cannot be reduced. $110 at a place like K is actually a deal if you had access to the books to see for yourself what it costs to operate.