• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

bdfreetuna

Appreciate honest intel. I had to come up with a new strategy for Wed - Thurs based on the weather anyway. Doesn't change the big picture plan to ski there this season ASAP.

rocks860

Appreciate honest intel. I had to come up with a new strategy for Wed - Thurs based on the weather anyway. Doesn't change the big picture plan to ski there this season ASAP.

Red line was looking very bare around noon yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a great time this weekend. Took the long pretty ski tour Saturday afternoon with the in-laws. Little MSB also made a considerable step skiing off the leash. Loving the Nelson learning center and improved beginner options.

https://www.facebook.com/jamie.anderson.372/posts/10100221826390072

With regard to pricing, over the last four years, I have paid $83 (no snow year before new management took over), $15, $16, and $19 a day to ski Magic. If you are super concerned about pricing (powder day or otherwise), buy a pass in April and make a point of showing up frequently. With new the management in place, the risk of throwing away $500 (the $83 year) is virtually gone. There is no surcharge on pass pricing, and if you ski a lot, you can pay less than $3 a run, which was the case in three of the four years highlighted).

I am pretty sure I then plowed all of those savings into the Black Line Tavern but somethings a better-left uncalculated.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Any snowmaking going to happen on Tali this week (weather permitting obviously)?? My kids are part of the crew scheduled to race now on Sunday instead of the original Monday date in the Southern VT Council U14 slalom race which for their age group is typically on Tali...

Just curious if as parent I'll be making the hike up the to finish area on Tali or if it's might end up on Showoff? Either way, I'm on skis, and then a bunch of my racer parent friends plan on enjoying the BLT for a while once our kids are done racing for the day

Any snowmaking going to happen on Tali this week (weather permitting obviously)?? My kids are part of the crew scheduled to race now on Sunday instead of the original Monday date in the Southern VT Council U14 slalom race which for their age group is typically on Tali...

Just curious if as parent I'll be making the hike up the to finish area on Tali or if it's might end up on Showoff? Either way, I'm on skis, and then a bunch of my racer parent friends plan on enjoying the BLT for a while once our kids are done racing for the day

Do work would know better. But my guess is even if they do blow snow this week, given the forecast and the time necessary to let man-made snow properly settle, that the race would be on Show Off.

JamaicaMan

The race will be on Show Off and had to move it to Sunday as no head timekeeper could make it on Monday. In terms of weather, it pretty much SUCKS with almost no window to even make snow. Our guys are now at upper Wizard and chute area making up for lost snow due to Last weekend's weather. We hope to get a little shot in on Talisman later on Friday but weather window closing fast. This time period has just gone south on us (literally). But we will do what we can whenever Mother Nature lets us.

drjeff

The race will be on Show Off and had to move it to Sunday as no head timekeeper could make it on Monday. In terms of weather, it pretty much SUCKS with almost no window to even make snow. Our guys are now at upper Wizard and chute area making up for lost snow due to Last weekend's weather. We hope to get a little shot in on Talisman later on Friday but weather window closing fast. This time period has just gone south on us (literally). But we will do what we can whenever Mother Nature lets us.

Thanks for the update, and me and my family, and a slew of racer families all across the Southern VT Council, truly appreciate all the efforts you and your crew put into an event at Magic!

JamaicaMan

Just wish the cold would hang around for Wednesday and Thursday to finish off Tali too. Looks like Friday night to start that.IMG_2509.jpg

MG Skier

I meant to do a trip report but I did not. I really enjoyed my first visit to Magic last Saturday February 9th. (Racers and a temporary shut down of black chair aside.) Since it was my first visit and only day two of my skiing season, I was cautious about what i chose to ski. The grooming was excellent (Pre rain) I was impressed with all the groomers! I did venture into some natural trails Tali was one, and there was plenty of snow for me to have fun, I actually had the slope to myself! (I'm not fast). I popped into a rather flat glade and got bogged down in sticky snow, hope to return to do further glade exploration.

Since I purchased 2 passes at the ski show I will most definitely will be back and would even go without the pre purchased pass. Plus, I didn't do the Black Line Tavern as I had a long drive home and I was alone.....I hear it is a GREAT hang and will not miss it next time out! The mountain is alive and well with many friendly people. I had great conversations in all of my chair rides.

Nice Job Magic, I am enjoying and wearing my new hat with the new logo. Keep it going gang! The small mountain vibe is cool!

rocks860

One thing I love about magic is I always end up riding the lift with people who love to chat and I end up having great discussions with people. Rare times when the lift ride seems too short

tumbler

Was watching mens luge on Sunday morning and a guy in the US silver medal dude's fan section was sporting a Magic hat.

tnt1234

So, how is the snow pack fairing? Looks like a decent chance of 4-5" sat. night > sunday....enough snow on the natural trails for that to mean anything for Sunday?

drjeff

One thing I love about magic is I always end up riding the lift with people who love to chat and I end up having great discussions with people. Rare times when the lift ride seems too short

One can definitely have a CONVERSATION as opposed to just a chat while riding the Red or the Black! ;) :lol: And that's a great thing in my book for sure!

JamaicaMan

So, how is the snow pack fairing? Looks like a decent chance of 4-5" sat. night > sunday....enough snow on the natural trails for that to mean anything for Sunday?

Oh 5+ that would work nicely for Sunday. No doubt last Sunday's rain and warm temps, plus major traffic last Saturday beat up the natural snow trails (especially steeps). So there's some bare ground between the moguls on a lot of those. 5" would work nicely on the base that's there for East Side Up Your Sleeve, Vertigo, Mystery, White out etc, plus the low angle woods over there (Disappearing Act, seance, white kitten, pixie dust) and also west side (BL, Tali, Sorce, lower Wiz)

Hopefully not too much more damage tomorrow night...

tnt1234

Oh 5+ that would work nicely for Sunday. No doubt last Sunday's rain and warm temps, plus major traffic last Saturday beat up the natural snow trails (especially steeps). So there's some bare ground between the moguls on a lot of those. 5" would work nicely on the base that's there for East Side Up Your Sleeve, Vertigo, Mystery, White out etc, plus the low angle woods over there (Disappearing Act, seance, white kitten, pixie dust) and also west side (BL, Tali, Sorce, lower Wiz)

Hopefully not too much more damage tomorrow night...

Thanks for the intel.

Hoping to get there Sunday then....

bdfreetuna

Let's be honest. Magic attracts a more enthusiastic clientele. The conversations would be more interesting anyway.

By contrast usually K-1 gondola is packed with hungover kids speaking in code.

ShadyGrove

I skied yesterday with some locals that haven't skied Magic since the 80s. They are primarily nordic skiers but wanted to ride the lift. It was free, so clearly they go their money's worth, but they really enjoyed it.

While we are on the subject, a main difference they noticed was the relaxed ride up Red. They felt it really set a great tone for the whole mountain in that they didn't seem rushed or feel frantic as they normally do at Stratton or even Bromley. They love the 'old school vibe' the mountain has everywhere and thought the skiing was great. Brownie did a great job grooming and they were excited to return when more terrain was open. Maybe they will even pay next time!