• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JimG.

Staff member
Let me take a stab at this......

In the minds of many Hunter ='s corporate.... Corporate ='s crowded and must come up with some funky resort nickname..... Crowded ='s the mountain must suck just because it's crowded... Hunter sucks :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now the fact that Magic is having some success (and I for 1 am THRILLED for their crowds and increased business volume lately!!) Magic is having some of those other things (lift lines, occasional lift issues, you know things that most skis areas that are able to stay in business will have from time to time :rolleyes: ) that some people can't grasp and feel like their shouldn't have to deal with just because... It's kind of like what's going on with the beer culture right now... A small brewery makes a GREAT new beer... People who were fortunate enough because of proximity often to the brewery got to experience first, and then because they want the brewery to succeed, talk it up. The brewery starts seeing more and more demand and success, an almost cult like following begins, and then those who "arrived late to the game" finally get to experience it, and they then feel on some levels that they need to complain because, while really, really, really good, it didn't live up to the hype that they hoped for.... Kind of like getting non stop, untracked runs down Red Line or Black line at Magic in 18" of pure blower powder and you're the only one there since you heard that it's always empty..... Most of that can happen when the cards are in place, the "crowds" though, while far less than most other mountains, will still be there, and that is a disappointment to some!

I honestly hope that Geoff Hathaway has to make the call to stop selling walk up tickets as much as possible, and that people have to wait in what often isn't much more that a 10 minute line on the Red and/or Black if it's running as many days as possible until the snow finally melts out this season. The success is well deserved for all the hard work and at times big adversities that have had to be overcome this season! We all should be openly grateful for the success that Magic is having and the track that it's on now, rather than selfishly bemoan having to wait in some lift lines to get to enjoy that special terrain in great snow conditions!

Or to put it simply, good things come to those who wait.

Vaughn

Probably not worth engaging but my last point about this (great) mountain is that if the end win for the ski area and the skiers who love it is to have three running lifts, charging $10 more on Saturdays would be make sense to me as a small step towards that. I don't mind paying for something awesome and I'd bet a lot of people share that opinion.

jmarble

Thinking about season pass @ Magic next season and I was poking around at the Freedom Pass benefit. According to Coopers website a lot of new areas have been added including Powder Mountain. http://skicooper.com/cooper-season-passes/ That seems like a pretty good deal to me, hope it's included with Magic.

RustyGroomer

While i do like moguls I'm not afraid to admit i'm happy to have a little grooming for a break.

Talisman per Magic FB.
29495777_10155124336652038_5391386577387651072_n.jpg

KustyTheKlown

there is a banked slalom/bbq/music/CAT SKIING event at timber ridge (back side of magic) this Saturday. $15 for cat access for the day. hosted by the old hippies who own the place. i'll be at killington and the brew fest Saturday, and magic sunday, but thought you all might be interested in skiing a NELSAP

skimagic

there is a banked slalom/bbq/music/CAT SKIING event at timber ridge (back side of magic) this Saturday. $15 for cat access for the day. hosted by the old hippies who own the place. i'll be at killington and the brew fest Saturday, and magic sunday, but thought you all might be interested in skiing a NELSAP

This sounds awesome! Any link to this event?

KustyTheKlown

I got a random email last week from "PatrolUSA" advertising it. no link. but safe to say just show up at timber ridge on Saturday if you want to participate.

urungus

Also on Saturday is the annual “Spring Fling” party at Magic itself. Event of the year IMO. Flamingo toss off the red chair, snow bar at sunshine corner, free timed race, etc.

KustyTheKlown

Then ski down the other side and take a couple of cat runs for $15

the opportunity to get a cheap ride back up to ski back to the car at magic is most tempting, but I'm uber committed to killington saturday. got beer fest tickets and a group of friends.

bdfreetuna

Good time up there today. Kind of firm in the morning but East side was groomed really well so took a lot of runs over there. Sun came out and softened the rest of the mountain up.

Plenty of snow in the woods. Best runs were all the fresh groomed East side plus Goniff, Twilight Zone, Talisman was a nice chalky surface... Wardrobe had plenty of snow and nice and surfy in there

Very few people there today but I always assume Friday is the slow day at Magic

My Dad went his first time, he always thought he wouldn't like Magic but ended up really having a good time and liking the terrain

Lots of snow up there and even the firmer spots you could stick your pole through to powder/packed powder... the moguls were pretty soft as well

As usual I didn't recognize who is who in terms of folks I'd say hi to... not really my style to go around and say hey you on AlpineZone? lol

Magic-3-23_01.jpg
Magic-3-23_02.jpg