• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

All should go tomorrow who can. This is the finest late season skiing I have ever seen on the East Coast. As I am recovering from injury and an old and overweight guy I am just not doing the crazy stuff. Every time I pass by Slide of Hans, which has been open for weeks, I have remorse.

I'm sure they will close. No one was there, I bet Geoff wants to wrap and show a profit on a fabulous year.

Fffffff I can’t believe I didn’t go today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IceEidolon

Much as I wish they would stay open - I have work stuff this weekend but not next - I really can't blame them. Killington can afford the snow making and marketing to run into June for 1/20 the normal customers. But 1/20 the normal customers for Magic is somewhat more sparse.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
All should go tomorrow who can. This is the finest late season skiing I have ever seen on the East Coast. As I am recovering from injury and an old and overweight guy I am just not doing the crazy stuff. Every time I pass by Slide of Hans, which has been open for weeks, I have remorse.

I'm sure they will close. No one was there, I bet Geoff wants to wrap and show a profit on a fabulous year.

Looked like mostly season passes, too. Very few day tickets sold.

slatham

Exactly. And as a pass holder I can't really fault them for not opening next weekend. Time for them to rest up and start on off season projects.

bigbob

Exactly. And as a pass holder I can't really fault them for not opening next weekend. Time for them to rest up and start on off season projects.

Any info on what will be new and shiny for next season or at least repaired?

IceEidolon

Any info on what will be new and shiny for next season or at least repaired?
There was the debate about whether patching, repairing or replacing the Black Lift was the best option.
Green Lift is in the works.
I assume some snowmaking repairs on Green Lift pipe are planned plus hydrants at the unload and maybe some HKD towers on or near the unload.
Besides that, there's the expanded pond being taken off stream and increasing the GPM - if the permits come through.
If that happens I'd hope to see more portable HKD sleds or towers to take advantage of the extra water, especially on the Green Lift trails that can be 100% low energy. If not there are several already, but 750 GPM with maxed out compressors is about balanced for ~45 Viper/Impulse.
Seasonal glading, trail maintenance, and erosion control has to be done.
Post mud season road/lot upkeep.
Seasonal repairs on all the groomers, snowmobiles, Red Lift, Tubbin' Tow, and the Carpet, new compressors, pumps, fan maintenance, filters on the HKDs...
I heard that there may be upgrades to the fan fleet this year as well.

Lots of things.

gmcunni

I dislike this logic, not just at magic. Penalizing the dedicated because the casual don’t show up. He prepay because they are dedicated and support the mountain. And ski a lot.

slatham

I dislike this logic, not just at magic. Penalizing the dedicated because the casual don’t show up. He prepay because they are dedicated and support the mountain. And ski a lot.

Dude its April 7th!

The place was pretty empty this weekend, with tons of terrain and powder. Next weekend looks iffy at best. They've already gone long enough, and pushing another weekend will cost them money, money which is more needed for off season upgrades.

raisingarizona

Me. Me. Me. What about me!

Have a cup of reality soup son, dedication doesn’t pay for ski area operations.

JamaicaMan

Dude its April 7th!

The place was pretty empty this weekend, with tons of terrain and powder. Next weekend looks iffy at best. They've already gone long enough, and pushing another weekend will cost them money, money which is more needed for off season upgrades.

Thanks Steve. Actually April 8th. That’s our April “approximate” closing date since we took over (last year, this year). Consistent. Count on it every year and save yourself some angst about us not competing with Killington. Some years it will be just a few trails. This year it’s 40. Everyone who wants to run Magic differently needs to step up with some serious money and a real business plan. Laugh Out Loud!

Damn it was a good season close :)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

raisingarizona

Season passes do

I can’t say for sure but I’m guessing season passes are a small percentage of yearly profits. The bottom line is if you want your mountain to make on mountain improvements they can’t be throwing money out the window.

slatham

Thanks Steve. Actually April 8th. That’s our April “approximate” closing date since we took over (last year, this year). Consistent. Count on it every year and save yourself some angst about us not competing with Killington. Some years it will be just a few trails. This year it’s 40. Everyone who wants to run Magic differently needs to step up with some serious money and a real business plan. Laugh Out Loud!

Damn it was a good season close :)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Ha! Yeah forgive me but my head is stuck on April 7th - my last day of the season and an 8" powder day at Magic!?!?! It's going to be April 7th in my mind for a long time........

Great season JM & team. Already bought my pass and I'm ready for volunteer days.

Newpylong

There was the debate about whether patching, repairing or replacing the Black Lift was the best option.
Green Lift is in the works.
I assume some snowmaking repairs on Green Lift pipe are planned plus hydrants at the unload and maybe some HKD towers on or near the unload.
Besides that, there's the expanded pond being taken off stream and increasing the GPM - if the permits come through.
If that happens I'd hope to see more portable HKD sleds or towers to take advantage of the extra water, especially on the Green Lift trails that can be 100% low energy. If not there are several already, but 750 GPM with maxed out compressors is about balanced for ~45 Viper/Impulse.
Seasonal glading, trail maintenance, and erosion control has to be done.
Post mud season road/lot upkeep.
Seasonal repairs on all the groomers, snowmobiles, Red Lift, Tubbin' Tow, and the Carpet, new compressors, pumps, fan maintenance, filters on the HKDs...
I heard that there may be upgrades to the fan fleet this year as well.

Lots of things.

750 GPM is nowhere near enough water to efficiently run that many HKDs, and I am sure the incredibly intelligent folks at Magic like Geoff and Matt know that (as they are working on rectifying as permits allow). For comparison, at only 700 vertical feet we can barely run our 12 Vipers on higher stages @ 700 GPM (and our pump is rated for that flow rate at 600 psi and 1300' TDH). Forget about running our fan guns or K guns at the same time. It may look like it'll work on paper but once you factor in friction, gravity and blow off losses you need a lot more flow to actually have decent pressure to put out decent snow and not freeze up.

Last edited:

ShadyGrove

I jokingly gave JM a hard time on Saturday for not staying open another week, but slatham's post is fully accurate and I look forward to next season.

Great work by all those dedicated employees and volunteers at Magic to make 2017-18 the best season at Magic in decades!

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I can’t say for sure but I’m guessing season passes are a small percentage of yearly profits. The bottom line is if you want your mountain to make on mountain improvements they can’t be throwing money out the window.

The GMs I've spoken to have told me ~20% of revenue is attributed to passholders. It surely varies by mountain.

That information may be old as it came before the rise of mega-passes.

Rock on JM and Magic!

tumbler

The GMs I've spoken to have told me ~20% of revenue is attributed to passholders. It surely varies by mountain.

That information may be old as it came before the rise of mega-passes.

Rock on JM and Magic!

And with pre-sales it gives them money to fund summer capital improvements.

bdfreetuna

The two times I was able to make it up this year Magic indeed felt like a somewhat improved version of it's former self.

Good job guys and gals. Live long and prosper.