• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Tdizz

And let’s not leave out the bar! The mark up on alcohol and food is huge!

Ha! I don’t know how on earth I left out the bar. The mountain that I worked at separated the bar/restaurant income from actual mountain operations. I just remember that was never included. I don’t know if that is standard or goes by state or resort

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

p_levert

Getting back to offseason improvements, it does seem that the priority has to be the return of the green chair and snowmaking. The black chair is a tough one. If the repairs are extensive, does it make sense to spend on that, when a total replacement would be better? If the green chair is back, at least there would be two non-trivial lifts. So that would ease the sting if the black goes down for an extended period.

Just wondering, has anyone ever considered an upper mountain lift? A lift from the base of Trick to the top would make some sense. It would be a high altitude lift with a mostly north exposure, so would hold snow well. The lift would support a bunch of trails ranging from green to black. Vertical of about 800 ft, so not too bad. And this would provide another way to get to the top of the mountain (assuming that the green is operational). And, actually, if you had this upper mountain lift, you wouldn't necessarily need to replace the black chair.

Just throwing out some ideas...

mriceyman

Getting back to offseason improvements, it does seem that the priority has to be the return of the green chair and snowmaking. The black chair is a tough one. If the repairs are extensive, does it make sense to spend on that, when a total replacement would be better? If the green chair is back, at least there would be two non-trivial lifts. So that would ease the sting if the black goes down for an extended period.

Just wondering, has anyone ever considered an upper mountain lift? A lift from the base of Trick to the top would make some sense. It would be a high altitude lift with a mostly north exposure, so would hold snow well. The lift would support a bunch of trails ranging from green to black. Vertical of about 800 ft, so not too bad. And this would provide another way to get to the top of the mountain (assuming that the green is operational). And, actually, if you had this upper mountain lift, you wouldn't necessarily need to replace the black chair.

Kinda like that i just dont think magic will create a whole new lift line. I just wish the ski gods wouldve smiled down this year and let the black run fairly trouble free lol

skithetrees

In my ski lift builder master plan I would install a lift from the base of talisman to the area between broomstick and the run down to slide of Hans. Either to wizard or up to the true summit. Then cut in some new trails over there to handle the traffic between the wizard traverse ands the top of sorcer/talisman. This keeps experts out of the base area where a small few ski way to fast and eliminates the run out. Not at all necessary at this point, but would be part of my ten year unlimited money master plan!

p_levert

In my ski lift builder master plan I would install a lift from the base of talisman to the area between broomstick and the run down to slide of Hans. Either to wizard or up to the true summit. Then cut in some new trails over there to handle the traffic between the wizard traverse ands the top of sorcer/talisman. This keeps experts out of the base area where a small few ski way to fast and eliminates the run out. Not at all necessary at this point, but would be part of my ten year unlimited money master plan!

I agree, that would also be a good place for a lift. In my thinking, these options become realistic if the black chair requires a serious overhaul. Then you start to ask, rather than spend big $$ on a parallel lift, could we do something else which enhances the mountain? But it all depends on the status of the black. New lifts presumably also involve approvals, so a definite downside there. But, all in all, I like your thinking and I agree.

SIKSKIER

Instead of trying to keep 2 summit lifts running would it make more sense to have 1 used fixed quad instead?I understand it would cost quite a bit more but in the long run I would imagine not as both those lifts are very old.

Do Work

750 GPM is nowhere near enough water to efficiently run that many HKDs, and I am sure the incredibly intelligent folks at Magic like Geoff and Matt know that (as they are working on rectifying as permits allow). For comparison, at only 700 vertical feet we can barely run our 12 Vipers on higher stages @ 700 GPM (and our pump is rated for that flow rate at 600 psi and 1300' TDH). Forget about running our fan guns or K guns at the same time. It may look like it'll work on paper but once you factor in friction, gravity and blow off losses you need a lot more flow to actually have decent pressure to put out decent snow and not freeze up.

While that is true and there are many parasitic variables we do have much higher sustained GPM now that we changed out our base area piping to all 8" with minimized angles. Our new air center will be huge in being able to open early, our increased gallonage will be huge in keeping that pace up and trail count blossoming now that we have tracked down all the major air leaks. Know anybody looking to get rid of any baby ratnik sleds btw? (Baby X2s)

slatham

Ok since some of us are going into fantasy land:

1) Replacement of Black: Why not run a new lift line up to the true summit? Increase vertical, lengthen Magic Carpet, add an upper section to Slide of Hans from the summit, and cut one (or more) trails further west that would have a longer stretch of diamond/double diamond terrain than current trails.

2) Same trail suggestion, but via a lift that starts at Tali/Wizard intersection and goes to summit.

3) The cheap option - same trail suggestion, but use a handle tow running from Wizard (right near the top of black chair) to the summit.

4) Looking East, a lift from the "natural" bottom if one continued down the fall line of Up Your Sleeve, to the top of the ridgeline. Several intermediate trails could be added to the skiers right, and of course UYS would be lengthened significantly up and down hill.

5) The cheap option - same trail suggestion, but use a handle tow to get people out of the "drainage" up to say the bottom of Vertigo where it intersects with Carpet.

Yes, I am aware that some of said trails might not be on property that Ski Magic Ltd owns. Not to mentioned the cost of all of this. But such constraints don't exist in this fantasy...

slatham

Instead of trying to keep 2 summit lifts running would it make more sense to have 1 used fixed quad instead?I understand it would cost quite a bit more but in the long run I would imagine not as both those lifts are very old.

Redundancy.

And you'll take down Red over my dead body......

p_levert

Ok since some of us are going into fantasy land:

1) Replacement of Black: Why not run a new lift line up to the true summit? Increase vertical, lengthen Magic Carpet, add an upper section to Slide of Hans from the summit, and cut one (or more) trails further west that would have a longer stretch of diamond/double diamond terrain than current trails.

2) Same trail suggestion, but via a lift that starts at Tali/Wizard intersection and goes to summit.

3) The cheap option - same trail suggestion, but use a handle tow running from Wizard (right near the top of black chair) to the summit.

4) Looking East, a lift from the "natural" bottom if one continued down the fall line of Up Your Sleeve, to the top of the ridgeline. Several intermediate trails could be added to the skiers right, and of course UYS would be lengthened significantly up and down hill.

5) The cheap option - same trail suggestion, but use a handle tow to get people out of the "drainage" up to say the bottom of Vertigo where it intersects with Carpet.

Yes, I am aware that some of said trails might not be on property that Ski Magic Ltd owns. Not to mentioned the cost of all of this. But such constraints don't exist in this fantasy...

#4 is not bad, for the long term.

Of all of these new lift suggestions, the one I originally suggested (bottom of trick to the summit) is the cheapest. And it does provide a backup way to the summit, assuming a green lift exists.

raisingarizona

Instead of a full top to bottom lift why not have the bottom terminal of the Black chair be where Heart of Magician dumps back out onto Hocus Pocus so you wouldn't have to ski out on the flats every run? It would still access the majority of expert terrain on the upper mountain.

skithetrees

Redundancy.

And you'll take down Red over my dead body......

Agreed. Red is like the mrg single in my mind, can't ever get rid of it. Black could become a fixed grip quad. Budget unlimited, I would run the base terminal out of a lift house to keep the classic feel.

skithetrees

#4 is not bad, for the long term.

Of all of these new lift suggestions, the one I originally suggested (bottom of trick to the summit) is the cheapest. And it does provide a backup way to the summit, assuming a green lift exists.

Problem with that is that 90% of people ski magic carpet from the summit. At full utilization, another lift would make it too busy (by magic standards). Getting green line back in is the perfect way to disperse east side traffic. I skied it all the time when I was a little kid. Loved 33 1/3!

skithetrees

That would totally destroy my fav run on the whole mountain :(

One of my favorites is in there too. But there is enough that one lift line wouldn't ruin it. Plus you could cut a few rumble/goat type trails down and still leave room for the goods that are in there already.

I know it is easy playing Monday morning ski resort manager, or whatever you call it. These are just my thoughts. I have skied this place for 30+ years, including when it was closed and have been dreaming about what I would do all along. Present management is doing an amazing job and am excited to see what is happening (even if I miss the empty trackless woods two weeks after the storm). So don't let my daydreams come across as criticism.

p_levert

Instead of a full top to bottom lift why not have the bottom terminal of the Black chair be where Heart of Magician dumps back out onto Hocus Pocus so you wouldn't have to ski out on the flats every run? It would still access the majority of expert terrain on the upper mountain.

Bravo! That's better than my idea of bottom-of-trick-to-summit. Cheap, because you can use the existing towers. And still provides a second option to the summit with the green chair combo. Gets rid of some unneeded flats. All good.

Gondi to summit of Magic, then over to Summit of Timber Ridge, then to bottom of TR and back again. JamaicaMan please get going on this project. Please leave the run outs, separates the weak from the strong.