• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

This part is nice too.

In addition to the increased uphill capacity, that inefficiency will be resolved.

Yes, that will be a nice change especially since it will be the go-to work horse lift.

Wonder if they will drop the bottom terminal a bit further downhill to make it easier to access Black from the East Side trails? Otherwise you will have beginners struggling across the flat travers to get to Black.

Although I guess if they plan to run Green on a regular basis that may not be such an issue.

Are we really talking about two new lifts? Three in two years? At Magic? Cue Rod Serling - "You have now entered the twilight zone......"

sull1102

Called that one, you just had to look at the numbers and realize that it was way too good of an opportunity to let go.I will argue this is by far the single greatest improvement to Magic in the history of the mountain and I have to give a huge congrats to the team making it all happen so fast. People might not be ready for how much good this does for the mountain, possibly even year round someday! Welcome to the big leagues, cannot wait to ride the new lift(s).

drjeff

So looking forward to riding these 2 once up and running during the typically 2 to 3 days a season my kids race at Magic! Such great news, for such a great crew and mountain!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

While certainly not a cheap decision, it appears this should serve Magic very well for the long term. Congrats! Some people suggested this lift would be a great fit and it looks like they were right!

gregnye

While I fully support Magic buying this lift, I am going to miss the Red lift being the main lift on weekdays. The red lift makes me think I'm at Smugglers notch/ in the 1970's

Smellytele

While certainly not a cheap decision, it appears this should serve Magic very well for the long term. Congrats! Some people suggested this lift would be a great fit and it looks like they were right!

To keep dumping money year after year into the Black and only able to put 2 skiers on every other chair did not make financial sense. This will pay for itself after a few years and the dumping money into the black would never. It was a money pit.

cdskier

To keep dumping money year after year into the Black and only able to put 2 skiers on every other chair did not make financial sense. This will pay for itself after a few years and the dumping money into the black would never. It was a money pit.

Fully agree!

slatham

While I fully support Magic buying this lift, I am going to miss the Red lift being the main lift on weekdays. The red lift makes me think I'm at Smugglers notch/ in the 1970's

Red will run more than you think base on the press release:

"Magic will operate the new quad as the primary summit lift every weekend and holiday period, with the famed Red Chair continuing as an additional lift on busy weekends plus pulling main duty on lighter traffic weekdays."

tumbler

Red will run more than you think base on the press release:

"Magic will operate the new quad as the primary summit lift every weekend and holiday period, with the famed Red Chair continuing as an additional lift on busy weekends plus pulling main duty on lighter traffic weekdays."

Yeah, I don't know if that will be true once the shiny new toy is installed.

gregnye

Yeah, I don't know if that will be true once the shiny new toy is installed.

Yeah, people usually want to have their whole family on one chair (4 people). I much prefer the quiet vibe of a smaller chair, where you get paired up with one interesting local and get to talk to them.

BenedictGomez

Oh wait, so they're not going to run the red chair and the new black chair on weekends unless it's really crowded?

That's lame.

SkiingInABlueDream

I hope the new quad chair will be similarly close to the ground as the current black chair. As for Red running less frequently, I'm ok either way. Red is a very aesthetic ride. But having it not run means less ppl on the slopes. And if the quad has a quick singles line I'd never wait for red anyway. And while I think I generally make a decent run of redline I prefer not having an audience overhead. Bla bla bla... [emoji846]

tumbler

Are they going to paint the new chair black? Or will it just be the "Black" chair?

bdfreetuna

Dont give AF however they do it. On "crowded" Magic days it's a 10 minute wait max. By max I mean probably 5 minutes max.

My main "improvements" encouragement for Magic would be snowmaking, since not every year will be good to them in SoVT at lower elevation, but if they can open early with a steadily expanding selection of snowmaking trails, I would consider them an option to places like Mount Snow or Killington in December/maybe January.

Don't think I've ever been to Magic before February (and most often it's March). I would though. Maybe my advice is bad though, tbh I will go wherever the trees are available in the best shape. That equation already favors Magic when it snows mid-week.

Mount Snow I don't even really like the terrain but they've temporarily won me over early season. If Magic could get a good variety of trails open, obviously much less acres (but who cares about acres, we ski in straight lines)...

Just trying to help Magic's strategy/marketing/operations with an opinion that may also represent others. I am not a loyal customer by any means, but Magic's terrain, short distance, and low-key vibes are already a draw.

Last edited:

slatham

Are they going to paint the new chair black? Or will it just be the "Black" chair?

Anyone know what color the chairs are now, or if they are even painted? From the pics it looks like not painted - just galvanized. The padding is black though!

I would expect them to paint them black but if they don't need to be painted and there's a time crunch who knows. They painted the chairs on the "Green" lift green last summer, but given that lifts age and time in storage I am sure they needed to be painted.

Last edited:

slatham

Dont give AF however they do it. On "crowded" Magic days it's a 10 minute wait max. By max I mean probably 5 minutes max.

My main "improvements" encouragement for Magic would be snowmaking, since not every year will be good to them in SoVT at lower elevation, but if they can open early with a steadily expanding selection of snowmaking trails, I would consider them an option to places like Mount Snow or Killington in December/maybe January.

Don't think I've ever been to Magic before February (and most often it's March). I would though. Maybe my advice is bad though, tbh I will go wherever the trees are available in the best shape. That equation already favors Magic when it snows mid-week.

Mount Snow I don't even really like the terrain but they've temporarily won me over early season. If Magic could get a good variety of trails open, obviously much less acres (but who cares about acres, we ski in straight lines)...

Just trying to help Magic's strategy/marketing/operations with an opinion that may also represent others. I am not a loyal customer by any means, but Magic's terrain, short distance, and low-key vibes are already a draw.

Some color on snowmaking...

Last season they got a late start and missed a good early season window as they were still in the midst of doing work on new main line feeder piping for water. From what Do Work has said, this greatly improved pressure, especially up high.

They also had a set back when the delivery was delayed for the new, energy efficient electric compressors. Hence they had to scramble to rent diesel compressors.

Then over Christmas the mountain froze, stopping the drainage into the pond, and they had to shut down.

This year the piping is done. The compressors are in (and were eventually running last winter). And they have plans to rebuild the dam so the pond is full, which is more than a double in water available.

So I would expect them to be not only willing, but able, to put down a lot more snow and be a legit early season option. All we need is mother nature to lend a hand.....

Also keep in mind that with the Green chair they can open much quicker given the shorter linear feet of snow needed.

tumbler

Anyone know what color the chairs are now, or if they are even painted? From the pics it looks like not painted - just galvanized. The padding is black though!

I would expect them to paint them black but if they don't need to be painted and there's a time crunch who knows. They painted the chairs on the "Green" lift green last summer, but given that lifts age and time in storage I am sure they needed to be painted.

Leave the chairs galvanized, It's hard for them to hold paint and look crappy when chipping off everywhere. If something needs to be black, paint the new towers and leave it at that.