• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

reefer

Great day to take a hike.............

Did partake in some hiking/trimming. Nice to meet some of the Magic faithful. Was too dedicated and still on the hill when the photo was taken. Did get a nice spiffy shirt. Hope to make it for the next one.

Crew out early working on ole Red

Volunteers gathering

Follow the yellow grass trail

You know I turned-up Zeps Stairway to Heaven as I went up Show Off

Walking (briskly) through "Spider Alley" freaked me out. About 100yards and hundreds of webs.

Mr Work and Mr Groomer did a fine job on second exit of Twilight Zone last week. The main exit is at bottom right of second pic. New exit about 50 yards further up hill.

No mystery what drives my behavior

Before and after of entrance to this no-name. Hiked down and picked up all the deadwood. This little ditty is ready to go.

Couldn't help myself......
They do look nice!

slatham

Thanks for the pictures. Great work on the Twilight exit and the un-named glade! And glad them flags are a flying!

Do Work

Did partake in some hiking/trimming. Nice to meet some of the Magic faithful. Was too dedicated and still on the hill when the photo was taken. Did get a nice spiffy shirt. Hope to make it for the next one.

Crew out early working on ole Red

Volunteers gathering

Follow the yellow grass trail

You know I turned-up Zeps Stairway to Heaven as I went up Show Off

Walking (briskly) through "Spider Alley" freaked me out. About 100yards and hundreds of webs.

Mr Work and Mr Groomer did a fine job on second exit of Twilight Zone last week. The main exit is at bottom right of second pic. New exit about 50 yards further up hill.

No mystery what drives my behavior

Before and after of entrance to this no-name. Hiked down and picked up all the deadwood. This little ditty is ready to go.

Couldn't help myself......
They do look nice!

Nice shots, thanks for posting and thanks even more for coming out! Can't wait for the other work days!!

2Planker

Anyone here remember Timberside ?? Magic had bought it and connected them in '86. Had some good terrain !
Double chair was sold to Smuggs after things went belly up in '91. We used to see Paul Newman there.....

Trails are all there, but it's a 1/2 mile between the Timberside summit and Magic

thetrailboss

Staff member
Anyone here remember Timberside ?? Magic had bought it and connected them in '86. Had some good terrain !
Double chair was sold to Smuggs after things went belly up in '91. We used to see Paul Newman there.....

Trails are all there, but it's a 1/2 mile between the Timberside summit and Magic

It's too bad they lost that. Would be cool if it could be revived.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

gmcunni

Pretty certain Timberside is now privately owned with some of the trails maintained, but no lifts.

In the year 2000, Tim Waker purchased Timber Ridge. Since purchasing the property, Mr. Waker has renovated the lodge, reclaimed over grown trails, and even added some small snowmaking equipment. There is no lift service and the area remains private (although certain areas are used as part of the VAST trail network). In fact, Mr. Waker improved the area so much that the 2009 Snowboarding World Quarterpipe Championships were hosted at Timber Ridge (http://www.yobeat.com/2009/03/23/the-2009-world-quarterpipe-championships/). The ski area has also become a popular location for summer music festivals.

^ source - http://unofficialnetworks.com/2013/05/lost-ski-areas-southern-vermont-unofficial-ski-history

RustyGroomer

Sucks over there.

Attachments

• Timber.jpg
    Timber.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Timber1.jpg
    Timber1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 287

dlague

Several years ago my kids wanted to take the lift up then hike to the other side to ski it as a last run of the day and have us pick them up on our way out, but we opted not to drive over there and killed the idea.

RustyGroomer

I would advise against that. You'll probably end of skiing (sliding) down the connector trail. One must hike back up to the top of Timber to get a decent run. Truth is Timber is very flat. Powder can be difficult. It skis best with just a little fresh snow. Still fun but the best skiing on Glebe by far is the Magic side. As others have said it is private land as well.

2Planker

I patrolled at Stratton in college (81-85), but we actually used to love Timberside for the lack of crowds, very low price and super easy access. The parking lot held 20 cars, and you always got a spot. NEVER a line at the lift and there were some pretty good "old school" narrow trails. We always did BYOB/food on the deck. My GF locked our keys in the car while it was running, and a few older dudes from CT were walking their dogs.... They went back to the house, and came back w/ a "Slim Jim" to help us out. Took 3 mins. Turned out to be Paul Newman and his buddy Bob Sharp

Last edited:

RustyGroomer

Enough with this Paul Newman stuff. He stayed @ the Old Tavern btw, (Grafton Inn). Let's get to the real stars that skied Timber. Grant Goodeve aka oldest son David on "8 is Enough".

There's still a Goodeve mailbox to this day.

2Planker

Ha Ha WE didn't even know it was him. Just thought it was very nice for a couple of guys to stop and help us.

BTW, he owned a house there for 20+ years. One of the daughters owns it now

Last edited:

RustyGroomer

With Newman gone we should work on a Eight is Enough reunion. Although it might be down to 5 or 6 now. Anyone remember "Thumper"? The big St. Bernard.