• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ShadyGrove

Great to see that patrol has opened Twilight, Broomstick, Black, Sorcerer, and Disappearing Act. Should be a great weekend.

drjeff

Should be interesting to hear what a difference the Green makes with taking some of the race day pressure off the Red this coming Sunday when the U12 racers from the Southern Vt Council race on Show-off.

And if I understand the original plan for races that aren't being held on Talisman, racer tickets and racer parent tickets are only supposed to be good for use on the Green. If that is the case, while the parking lot and lodge may be full, the line for the Red shouldn't be

jaytrem

And if I understand the original plan for races that aren't being held on Talisman, racer tickets and racer parent tickets are only supposed to be good for use on the Green. If that is the case, while the parking lot and lodge may be full, the line for the Red shouldn't be

That's interesting. Do a lot of places limit the racer/parent tickets to specific lifts?

drjeff

That's interesting. Do a lot of places limit the racer/parent tickets to specific lifts?

This is the 1st I've heard of. I've got 2 Magic races with my kids this year, one scheduled for Talisman on Presidents Day Monday and then another scheduled for Showoff the 2nd weekend of March, so I will see, if this is the ticket policy this year for Magic races, how it works on both fronts.

I do know that some of my racer parent friends, who do have kids racing at Magic this weekend, are very likely to buy the full mountain ticket given the new snow this week, and as always really look forward to awaiting the awards while having a brew or 2 in the BLT!

MG Skier

I am looking forward to getting out there Saturday or Sunday.....I thought I read somewhere that Dr. Jeff is correct on the racers being on Green Chair if the race is on the East side. I am just happy to hear Ma Nature is back in the game....and 2 lifts of course!

BenedictGomez

I do know that some of my racer parent friends, who do have kids racing at Magic this weekend, are very likely to buy the full mountain ticket given the new snow this week, and as always really look forward to awaiting the awards while having a brew or 2 in the BLT!

New snow or not, if you're a ski parent who plans to ski that day, I fail to see why anyone would buy a "green chair only" lift ticket, unless they only want to take a few runs maybe, but even then, that's pretty niche numbers.

urungus

New snow or not, if you're a ski parent who plans to ski that day, I fail to see why anyone would buy a "green chair only" lift ticket, unless they only want to take a few runs maybe, but even then, that's pretty niche numbers.

Maybe the team buys the tickets, not the individual parents

drjeff

The reality that most racer parents come to grips with is that on day's your kids are racing, most of your day is spent standing around the race course watching your kid(s) and their teammates race, and not skiing much yourself. That's why on race days, most every hosting mountain will offer a discounted racer parent ticket, since they understand that most of your day on the hill isn't spent skiing, but spending watching.

For example, a typical Magic racer parent day for me, is get there about 7:30/45, get my kids registered and in the lodge booting up with their teammates. The kids all head out maybe 10-15 minutes before 1st chair. I then boot up with my racer parent friends who are skiing that day, and we head out maybe 10 to 15 minutes after 1st chair and the kids have mostly all loaded their 1st chair. I then get to ski 2 or maybe 3 runs depending on my kids bib number/starting position during run #1 before watching their run. Then I'm waiting around the finish area with my kid(s) while their friends come down, often searching through their teams coat bag which gets brought down after the girls finish and then after the boys finish. If it's a dual slalom or GS on showoff, then it's also QUICKLY get my kid back on the lift for their 2nd run (Magic runs a VERY EFFICIENT race which especially with having to use the Red in the past made for the need to get a kid back to the top quickly!) I then might get 1 run in between my kids 1st and 2nd runs, then watch their 2nd run, in for lunch, then repeat the process for the afternoon race.... On a typical Magic race day, I might get 5, maybe 6 runs and that's arriving at 7:30 and often not leaving until 3/3:30.

And it's worth every second to me as a parent watching my kids enjoy it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

JamaicaMan

Should be interesting to hear what a difference the Green makes with taking some of the race day pressure off the Red this coming Sunday when the U12 racers from the Southern Vt Council race on Show-off.

No. For the race, the kids and coaches will use the green chair as that is quickest and relieves pressure on Red, but parents and racers can use any lift. No restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

No. For the race, the kids and coaches will use the green chair as that is quickest and relieves pressure on Red, but parents and racers can use any lift. No restrictions.

Thank you for the clarification! As as racer parent, I will fully appreciate that when my U14 son is there for the Spring series in March! And totally look forward to him learning what an AWESOME SL trail Talisman is on President's Day Monday!

MG Skier

For those that were asking how the Green would help with traffic on a race day.

Well, keep in mind it was cold and the Patriots were on....

I didn't really wait for a chair all day! Pretty close to ski off, ski on. More details in a trip report later today!

ShadyGrove

For those that were asking how the Green would help with traffic on a race day.

Well, keep in mind it was cold and the Patriots were on....

I didn't really wait for a chair all day! Pretty close to ski off, ski on. More details in a trip report later today!

200 some odd racers plus coaches, parents, etc.

Sounds like Green did exactly what it was built for.

JoeB-Z

200 some odd racers plus coaches, parents, etc.

Sounds like Green did exactly what it was built for.

I got there at 1PM on Sunday and the Green lift had plenty of business. Almost every chair used which then started to taper with the game and cold. The combo worked perfectly. The races seemed to be done earlier also. My first trip down and the gates were all put away. It had to help because there was never a line to speak of on Red.

Enjoyed my newly rented locker. What a luxury. There still may be a few available but going fast.

drjeff

I got there at 1PM on Sunday and the Green lift had plenty of business. Almost every chair used which then started to taper with the game and cold. The combo worked perfectly. The races seemed to be done earlier also. My first trip down and the gates were all put away. It had to help because there was never a line to speak of on Red.

Enjoyed my newly rented locker. What a luxury. There still may be a few available but going fast.
Magic runs a quick, efficient race for sure! Actually yesterday for the U12's that were racing on Showoff, they ran 2 races, each with 2 runs by the time you hit Showoff!

My friends who had kids racing there said they were thrilled with how the Green served the race hill!

Bravo Magic!

Euler

I skied Magic yesterday from 11-3....ski on both Red and Green the entire time.
Just as important as the new lift is the snowmaking and grooming. Magic is no longer a place that should be thought of as an "only go when the snow is great" kind of place. The snow in Southern VT this year has been marginal at best, and Magic was skiing great!. Natural cover trails are varied....Gonnif is great up top and gets sketchier as you descend....really fun the whole way. There are plenty of intermediate groomed ways down from the top. A beginner would be really comfortable riding Green and skiing the "easiest way down".
For me, the mind blowing trail was Talisman....packed machine made powder, not groomed, but not yet bumped up really. It's so nice to be able to go to Magic now and have so much fun terrain available even when the natural snow cover is light....thanks to the investors and the whole crew over there for the $$, the time, and the effort to get the job done and done well!

JamaicaMan

I skied Magic yesterday from 11-3....ski on both Red and Green the entire time.
Just as important as the new lift is the snowmaking and grooming. Magic is no longer a place that should be thought of as an "only go when the snow is great" kind of place. The snow in Southern VT this year has been marginal at best, and Magic was skiing great!. Natural cover trails are varied....Gonnif is great up top and gets sketchier as you descend....really fun the whole way. There are plenty of intermediate groomed ways down from the top. A beginner would be really comfortable riding Green and skiing the "easiest way down".
For me, the mind blowing trail was Talisman....packed machine made powder, not groomed, but not yet bumped up really. It's so nice to be able to go to Magic now and have so much fun terrain available even when the natural snow cover is light....thanks to the investors and the whole crew over there for the $$, the time, and the effort to get the job done and done well!

[emoji106][emoji482]

tnt1234

Magic's currently in the bullseye if you could lock in the models right now and not have any more shifting.

Hmmm....contemplating making the move from the catskills to s. vt. for sunday. Lots of moving parts to this plan, but making sunday my first day at magic is pretty tempting.

A little intimidated by the longer drive home sunday. If it's slow going, that extra 1+ hour on the road could really be an extra 2...