The NEW Magic Mountain - Page 95

AlpineZone

Page 95 of 216 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast
    Snow is definitely quite moist and dense but there certainly is a lot of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My observations of my first visit to Magic (after a 32-year delay)

1. Magic is a small mountain in terms of amount of people there. Not a small mountain in the terms of terrain.
    2. We settled into a different, more relaxing pace. Focus on quality not quantity. We paced ourselves to make it to about 3:30. Certainly the latest I made it in a very long time.
    3. The lighting does not deteriorate to complete flat later in the day due to NW exposure.
    4. Many blues would easily be considered blacks at other resorts.
    5. We had a surprising amount of fun on the groomers. I would say perfect amount of grooming.
    6. There was no indication that Magic has gone through difficult financial times. Everything said success.
    7. Wind-protected. The trees at the summit are taller than any other peak I have been to in Vermont. You aren't getting blasted by wind at the top. There is no wasted vertical enduring wind-exposed ice.
    8. Fixed grip: As I hoped/expected riding a fixed grip double all day did not detract one bit. The terrain will use up your leg. We had nothing left at 3:30. The ride up again with no wind, is comfortable.
    9. Steeps are great and don't require painful traverses to access. Talisman was my trail of the day. Goofy footed traverse back to lift at bottom was not problem. My brother who is regular stance said it bugged him a little.
    10. Didn't get a chance to get into the woods. Looks like most entrances I saw were tight and intimidating. That's a good thing.
    11. Back in time: No scan coders, no RFIDs. It's stickers and wickets all the way.
    -Love and Sunshine

www.irsmedic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Game View Post
    My observations of my first visit to Magic (after a 32-year delay)

1. Magic is a small mountain in terms of amount of people there. Not a small mountain in the terms of terrain.
    2. We settled into a different, more relaxing pace. Focus on quality not quantity. We paced ourselves to make it to about 3:30. Certainly the latest I made it in a very long time.
    3. The lighting does not deteriorate to complete flat later in the day due to NW exposure.
    4. Many blues would easily be considered blacks at other resorts.
    5. We had a surprising amount of fun on the groomers. I would say perfect amount of grooming.
    6. There was no indication that Magic has gone through difficult financial times. Everything said success.
    7. Wind-protected. The trees at the summit are taller than any other peak I have been to in Vermont. You aren't getting blasted by wind at the top. There is no wasted vertical enduring wind-exposed ice.
    8. Fixed grip: As I hoped/expected riding a fixed grip double all day did not detract one bit. The terrain will use up your leg. We had nothing left at 3:30. The ride up again with no wind, is comfortable.
    9. Steeps are great and don't require painful traverses to access. Talisman was my trail of the day. Goofy footed traverse back to lift at bottom was not problem. My brother who is regular stance said it bugged him a little.
    10. Didn't get a chance to get into the woods. Looks like most entrances I saw were tight and intimidating. That's a good thing.
    11. Back in time: No scan coders, no RFIDs. It's stickers and wickets all the way.

Real questions are - will you gp back? and will you bring others?
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Well black was running briefly and then stopped several times and now is running but with no one on it. And now the line at red is huge

Quote Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
    Is Magic a mostly black/expert mountain? I'd love to support small mountains..I heard a group of private investors who loved the mountain went in to bring it back to life...gotta read up on the history. My fav little mountain is Crotched.
    There is some solid beginner and intermediate terrain that is regularly groomed and offers great cruising: Medium, Trick, Up Your Sleeve, Lower Magic Carpet, Kinderspiel, Show Off. Wizard is great old school narrow, winding, intermediate trail that is sometimes groomed. And once they make snow on Talisman that will be groomed and although black is very skiable when groomed. And remember its 1,500' vertical, so there is a lot there.

So no its not exclusively expert, but that is one thing that sets Magic apart from the other SoVT areas.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Ended up calling it quits around 1 with the rain and the lines but definitely a very enjoyable day. Twilight zone was probably the run of the day, big soft bumps although you had to watch out for rocks and roots between them

[QUOTE=rocks860;993624]Well black was running briefly and then stopped several times and now is running but with no one on it. And now the line at red is huge

I showed up at noon, saw the line and turned around. I'll ski tomorrow though. Spoiled season ticket holder. Geoff said no diagnosis on Black lift yet.

I stopped by Ascutney since I had my gear and took a few runs on the rope tow! They will have a T-bar next year.

[QUOTE=JoeB-Z;993640]
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks860 View Post
    Well black was running briefly and then stopped several times and now is running but with no one on it. And now the line at red is huge

I showed up at noon, saw the line and turned around. I'll ski tomorrow though. Spoiled season ticket holder. Geoff said no diagnosis on Black lift yet.

I stopped by Ascutney since I had my gear and took a few runs on the rope tow! They will have a T-bar next year.
    Yeah I think I saw Geoff running around like crazy, was gonna say hi but didn’t want to be a weirdo

[QUOTE=JoeB-Z;993640]
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks860 View Post

I had a really nice day anyway but blew it at Magic because they fixed the Black lift at 12:40, 30 minutes after I bailed. Their ops crew is so committed. Anyway, fresher legs for me in the moisture tomorrow as I will ski in anything until the fun dries up.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Even at $69, I can guarantee you there isn't much margin - even with minimal staffing, snowmaking etc. There are just so many fixed costs with operating a ski area that cannot be reduced. $110 at a place like K is actually a deal if you had access to the books to see for yourself what it costs to operate.
    Truth

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thread Information