• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Black replacement with the Black Quad has been approved by VT finally! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

VT Act 250: Replacement of the existing Black Chair lift. Project components include: removal of the existing fixed-grip triple chairlift, towers, top and bottom terminals, operator buildings and associated infrastructure. Installation of a new fixed-grip quad chairlift including towers, top and bottom terminals, operator buildings, and associated infrastructure. The proposed new chair alignment will be moved slightly east, ranging from a 25' offset at the bottom to 50' at top, in the existing trail routing to accommodate trajectory of the new chair and establishment of a new top terminal approximately 400' beyond existing.

Looks like Do Work will go right from Ski area ops to lift construction.

Oh, and don't forget about the pond - that permit is pending but will likely be another project underway.

The Magic momentum is monumental.....

JoeB-Z

Black replacement with the Black Quad has been approved by VT finally! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Great news. Now all the logistics can fall into place for this big job. Matt (Do Work) has to quit shoveling snow on Red and start planning!

Magic skied great without Black this weekend. Green is getting plenty of use and I have never seen so many low intermediates buying day tickets, rental equipment and having fun. I never foresaw it but Magic has a whole new business as a simple place for people to develop or just have fun.

By the way, both Trick and Talisman started to soften just that little bit this afternoon and should be great tomorrow without getting too soft. I'll be hitting them!

IceEidolon

I think that's the intent, though crossing the base area might be a bit of a hike.

I'm looking forward to trying the Green Chair and Red Chair tomorrow - and putting my first day on my Magic season pass.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

slatham

Will this be high enough so that it will be as all-mountain efficient as the red chair?

The plans as I understand them are for the summit terminal of Black to be at the same elevation as Red, so all summit terrain will accessible from both chairs. The base terminal is at same elevation as current Black, and as noted above it will be a bit closer to the tubing area than current chair.

urungus

Should be fine. Worst flat is red chair to Magician. You can hit pretty much every other line with a little planing. No issues with flats on Wiz after that. Much better than most mountains.

Besides, worst cast hang off the green chair to start.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thanks! Had a great time today at Magic as always and the snowboarders did just fine. Rode the Green Chair for the first time, fine accomplishment to have this open after so many years. Made it down Slide of Hans for the first time, was not as fearsome as the double diamond rating would suggest. Green Line looked tougher, though doable with enough coverage. Was cool to be able to use the Green Chair to check it out before committing.

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Today's shaping up to be a nice break from the cold, with spring conditions.

RustyGroomer

Yesterday was pretty good. If you like this sort of thing.

Attachments

• Bankmang2.jpg
    Bankmang2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 159

IceEidolon

Also, the brunch was the icing on the cake. Or maybe the giant cinnamon roll.

slatham

So definitely no powder day opening wed?

I have not heard any official word, but following the weather as I do I would guess there is some concern about mixing/changing to sleet on Tuesday night. Its a close call right now and personally I wouldn't make the call yet.....

slatham

No pow day opening on Wednesday as we have a full mountain rental with rk miles already scheduled for that day...it always seems to snow when they come.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Well at least there's no decision making stress. And hummmm, could this make Thursday a bit less tracked?

crazy

Well at least there's no decision making stress. And hummmm, could this make Thursday a bit less tracked?

I'm confused. Doesn't a full mountain rental mean that a company is renting out the mountain to ski for the day? Wouldn't Thursday therefore be more tracked out than if nobody was skiing the mountain on Wednesday? Apologies if I've just mixed something up here.