• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JamaicaMan

Tickets and reservations can be made online for a powder day opening as soon as we know it’s happening (usually the day before opening and the day of the Pow day). Instead of buying at ticket office, you simply buy online and pick up your tickets at the mtn

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

NYDB

Tickets and reservations can be made online for a powder day opening as soon as we know it’s happening (usually the day before opening and the day of the Pow day). Instead of buying at ticket office, you simply buy online and pick up your tickets at the mtn

Do full passholders or powder passholders get priority somehow on powder days (you indicate on your website that passholders will get priority normally)?

Are you guys still planning on DEVO? My daughter has been in the past couple of years and she really had a good time.

JoeB-Z

Red Line - You have done the tougher part. I just go over to skiers left at the cliff band
Magician - This is easier than it looks if you don't mind steep. Do not go over to the right. I don't think those are boulders but rather frozen springs.
Black Magic - Above my skill level. Never done it, except from the traverse off Witch.
Green Line - Fun if enough snow for the one tight turn near the start. I think maybe this was opened up a bit?
Pitch Black - Never done it. It must be darn steep straight down the fall line. Maybe less cliff bands than Black Magic?

JamaicaMan

Do full passholders or powder passholders get priority somehow on powder days (you indicate on your website that passholders will get priority normally)?

Are you guys still planning on DEVO? My daughter has been in the past couple of years and she really had a good time.

Not going to be an issue getting reservations on a midweek powder day. Have plenty of room...

slatham

Red Line - You have done the tougher part. I just go over to skiers left at the cliff band
Magician - This is easier than it looks if you don't mind steep. Do not go over to the right. I don't think those are boulders but rather frozen springs.
Black Magic - Above my skill level. Never done it, except from the traverse off Witch.
Green Line - Fun if enough snow for the one tight turn near the start. I think maybe this was opened up a bit?
Pitch Black - Never done it. It must be darn steep straight down the fall line. Maybe less cliff bands than Black Magic?

With the recent widening, and given its short, I'd say start with Green Line. Its no steeper than the others IMHO. If you can't navigate the cliff band and rest of Greenline, I'd stay away from the others.....

hughconway

Does anyone know if the splicing began today as scheduled? I tried looking at their webcam this afternoon as I believe it looks over the bottom terminal of the new chairlift but the webcam was offline.

jaytrem

Lookin' good!

Should be getting an Indy Pass this year, so the plans are for at least 2 days at Magic. Pinball machine working these days?

JamaicaMan

Lookin' good!

Should be getting an Indy Pass this year, so the plans are for at least 2 days at Magic. Pinball machine working these days?

Important update: pinball machine back in its Eagles Nest home with one of Magic’s investors. Word is that it now works.

ne_skier

Anyone have any idea of when chairs are supposed to go up on Black? It’s my interpretation that chair hanging and then state mandated load testing would be really the last major things that need to be done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dickc

Anyone have any idea of when chairs are supposed to go up on Black? It’s my interpretation that chair hanging and then state mandated load testing would be really the last major things that need to be done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last I knew, they were still assembling those chairs as they rebuilt AND regalvanized them. They also needed to align the sheave trains and test out all of the safety switches on all towers. All of that takes time.

slatham

Full update on the Alpine Update (social media and the Magic web site) but latest on Black:

The Quad Lift is having the chairs assembled over the next two weeks for placing on the lift line. We are waiting a bit on our electric drive contractor to finish some other projects so the Quad drive can be completed for running the line and doing sheave train work and communications line testing. We still expect the Quad Lift for a December opening.

Do Work

Super steep after the initial rollover, with a small 6ish foot send skier's left right at tower 14- but two big non-mandatory cliffs on skier's right starting about halfway between tower 13 & 14. Probably 10-15' in height with decent landing pitch. Also the very last boulder on skier's right at tower 13 looks to be a work road gap jump with enough speed, but only time and sendage will tell.

hughconway

I've been biting my tongue for a few weeks now but it's finally time to make the call:

0% chance Magic's 'new' quad will carry paying customers in 2020.

50% chance it's done by the time the snow melts in the spring. I actually suspect it may be complete by the end of the season, but won't get load tested, inspected and approved to carry customers until the 2021-2022 season.

If my prediction comes true (again!) they are going to take a MAJOR PR hit from this failure to deliver. They're re-playing the same script from last year - It'll be done by opening day....er.... Christmas....I mean President's Day.....OK, we'll finish it up over the summer. All of the attention and goodwill they have generated with their organized COVID response will be gone, and then some.

2 on, 2 out, bottom of the 9th. Team Magic is down by 2 runs. A walk off homer is required to save the day. I hope I am wrong and they can pull it off.

machski

I've been biting my tongue for a few weeks now but it's finally time to make the call:

50% chance it's done by the time the snow melts in the spring. I actually suspect it may be complete by the end of the season, but won't get load tested, inspected and approved to carry customers until the 2021-2022 season.

If my prediction comes true (again!) they are going to take a MAJOR PR hit from this failure to deliver. They're re-playing the same script from last year - It'll be done by opening day....er.... Christmas....I mean President's Day.....OK, we'll finish it up over the summer. All of the attention and goodwill they have generated with their organized COVID response will be gone, and then some.

2 on, 2 out, bottom of the 9th. Team Magic is down by 2 runs. A walk off homer is required to save the day. I hope I am wrong and they can pull it off.
They will have bigger issues with Vermont going back to full quarantine requirements for ALL out of state visitors IMHO. Given that, they may not need BLQ this year either. This is not work the area can do on its own, they are stuck with the contractor. Granted they could have contracted L-P for the work, but my guess is that may have proved cost prohibitive for them

NYDB

Do you have some insider/local knowledge here or are you just spitballing?

IMO They'll definitely need this quad over the holidays unless there is no snow or VT just shuts skiing down.

skiur

The whole ski industry is down right now and you wanna kick a small place with no corporate backing doing it's best in a fucked up time. Classy.

Slidebrook87

Remember this? LOL.

Attachments

• 66A1E0F1-5BE7-4ECF-8DA1-F8CD0E6124CE.jpeg
    66A1E0F1-5BE7-4ECF-8DA1-F8CD0E6124CE.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 21
  • 215CEE43-7170-47AD-A5DB-65C853D6260D.jpeg
    215CEE43-7170-47AD-A5DB-65C853D6260D.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 19

MEtoVTSkier

The whole ski industry is down right now and you wanna kick a small place with no corporate backing doing it's best in a fucked up time. Classy.
He must have some kind of ax to grind with Magic. Been a Negative Nancy about it since the beginning. It'll be done when the contractor finishes it, and the State inspects it. Probably not much of that is under Magic's managerial control in the current conditions.

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry​

Killingtime

They will have bigger issues with Vermont going back to full quarantine requirements for ALL out of state visitors IMHO. Given that, they may not need BLQ this year either. This is not work the area can do on its own, they are stuck with the contractor. Granted they could have contracted L-P for the work, but my guess is that may have proved cost prohibitive for them
I had a great time at Magic last season without the quad. Would it be nice? Sure. I don't believe it will be a PR nightmare with all the other things going on. I'll be willing to cut them some slack. I think you are right that the Vermont restrictions will be a bigger issue. I've taken all my planned VT trips off the calendar and have been booking trips within NY State instead (where I have residency). I was thinking about booking a hotel near the NY/VT border and day tripping into Magic but I'm not sure if that is even possible now. Maybe things will be different in two months but I'm not counting on it.