The NEW Magic Mountain - Page 183

AlpineZone

Page 183 of 183 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183
Results 1,821 to 1,829 of 1829
    First day out yesterday and felt like I slept for a few weekends and was automatically transported back to the superb conditions from last spring as there is so much and so dependable snow!! Honestly I felt pretty good considering the 6 months off, but this snow is hero snow and it gives you confidence.

Don't miss out!

December 1st!!!! Unbelievable soft deep snow everywhere. Good sized crowd for early season, I thought. Lot B was pretty close to full. The whole top half of the mountain was coated in crazy,needly ice crytals....maybe frozen fog?
    FullSizeRender.jpgiceFog.jpg

97C2EE61-A81B-4E81-8EE9-0FE238F20DFA.jpg

Solid coverage on Sorcerer. The whole mountain looked like this - great conditions for any day of the year, but historical for Dec 1.

Euler, that’s “Rime Ice” and your exactly right, formed by super cooled water vapor (frozen fog) latching onto any cold object in its path. The formations yesterday were pretty amazing - it must have been foggy up there for many for days.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    The whole top half of the mountain was coated in crazy,needly ice crytals....maybe frozen fog?
    That was very cool. Early in the morning it even covered all the chairs with roughly 3/4 inch points.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    The whole mountain looked like this - great conditions for any day of the year, but historical for Dec 1.
    Looking down Broomstick late in the day.

Broomstick.Magic.12012018.jpg
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I had my first day out on Saturday. Groomers were great and once my legs woke up, the natural trails were a blast! I didn't pop into the woods other than skiers right of Red. Magic team was busy with Ski Patrol building a summit and work was ongoing at Green Lift! Base lodge looks great by the way!!
    Ski it like you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    97C2EE61-A81B-4E81-8EE9-0FE238F20DFA.jpg

Solid coverage on Sorcerer. The whole mountain looked like this - great conditions for any day of the year, but historical for Dec 1.

Euler, that’s “Rime Ice” and your exactly right, formed by super cooled water vapor (frozen fog) latching onto any cold object in its path. The formations yesterday were pretty amazing - it must have been foggy up there for many for days.

I'm pretty sure that specific type is called Hoar Frost.

In any case, I've never seen more of it in my life. It grew for 3 days! Looked like it had snowed more there was so much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Do Work View Post
    I'm pretty sure that specific type is called Hoar Frost.

In any case, I've never seen more of it in my life. It grew for 3 days! Looked like it had snowed more there was so much of it.
    and that's one to grow on!

So, what’s the difference between hoar frost and rime ice? It all has to do with how the ice crystals formed: hoar develops when water vapor freezes, going directly from the gaseous state to the solid, while rime forms where supercooled liquid water droplets freeze on contact with cold surfaces. If it goes from gas to solid, it’s hoar frost. If it goes from liquid to solid, it’s rime.

That Ski The East vid that was filmed last March just dropped! what a day, I was pitted for about 10 minutes in pretty much the exact spot that Noah says "it's too deep!"

he went so far off axis he was in fact on axis...the progression had become regression

Thread Information