• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

urungus

It is very narrow with a rock band. Even skirting around it I beat up my skis a bit. Fun trail but I will be looking for lots of fresh snow before I try again.

Narrow I don't mind, but rock band is intimidating. Hopefully I'll summon up the courage someday.

Rowsdower

Narrow I don't mind, but rock band is intimidating. Hopefully I'll summon up the courage someday.

Skiers left there's a narrow way down through the rock band. It isn't too difficult although that spot gets skied off quick as people avoid the cliff, and can get icy. The pitch below the cliff is fairly steep as well, probably in the ~30 degree range, so keep that in mind if you point it and blast through that little bottleneck you'll probably want to speed check once you're in the clear.

The clliff itself isn't that bad. Probably about the same as the one under the Red chair where Witch meets Red Line. It also gets a bit shorter from skiers right to left moving towards the little bottleneck.

slatham

I find it easier to huck the cliff than try to go skiers left and ease into it as that route is usually skied off and more dangerous. The key as Rowsdower alludes to is careful speed management because when you land you will accelerate and be on a steep pitch.

If you want to practice, hit Black Line and at the rock band at toward the bottom, rather than taking the relatively easy skiers left cut across, head more to the right and take some air to clear it. Very similar set up except you have lots of width to work with if things go wrong. On Green line you have less margin of error.

JamaicaMan

There will be slightly more margin for error as trees will be further back as they have encroached on the lift line and are required to be cut back a bit as part of maintenance for operating lift. So there will be a bit more room on skiers left to navigate. The trail will look awesome!

Also we ordered 7200' of cable so length of lift will be around 3500'.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

The thing that makes Green Line kind of gnarly is the fact it starts off like a (Magic) green circle and you can't really see the cliff until you're pretty close to it, and the landing slopes down so you can't really see the landing unless you tip toe to the edge.

Great trail for tricking intermediates into negotiating a tough area.

drjeff

There will be slightly more margin for error as trees will be further back as they have encroached on the lift line and are required to be cut back a bit as part of maintenance for operating lift. So there will be a bit more room on skiers left to navigate. The trail will look awesome!

Also we ordered 7200' of cable so length of lift will be around 3500'.

Guessing then somewhere in the 8-9 minute ride time for the Green?

As a parent who has watched both of my lycra clad Southern VT Council racer kids make numerous runs down Showoff, followed by an all too often "I don't need my coat" ride up the Red for their next run the last 5 seasons, the Green will be an awesome addition for the lycra clad racer kids for sure!! Too bad for me though that my youngest will now be a U14 next season racing on Tali rather than Showoff, so the often cold ride to the top, as well as the hike to the finish area of Tali as a parent vs Showoff's finish area will still be in play for my crew!!

Awesome work you guys are doing!!

jrmagic

The thing that makes Green Line kind of gnarly is the fact it starts off like a (Magic) green circle and you can't really see the cliff until you're pretty close to it, and the landing slopes down so you can't really see the landing unless you tip toe to the edge.

Great trail for tricking intermediates into negotiating a tough area.
So there nust be a ton of intermediates that want oi ski with you again ay Magic LMAO!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

More updates from Magic. And no, I am NOT Geoff......

Progress for the whole family.

Hope every one had a great Father's Day weekend! I know my Dad was the one who made skiing a family sport for the Hatheways. He got me on skis at the age of 3. Every weekend from Thanksgiving to Easter we made the trek up to southern Vermont no matter the weather or the conditions. No basketball or hockey, and no TV up here for us. Just skiing and hanging with family and friends! Thanks Dad!

And, our work here continues on making Magic even better at providing a ski experience the whole family can learn, progress, and never out grow here. We all know the terrain is here for a lifetime of ski adventure, we just need to make parts of it more easily accessible to beginners and intermediates--with the lifts, snowmaking and grooming that less advanced skiers and riders need in order to progress eventually to "the goods" Magic delivers to the East's best skiers and riders. Here's an update of just some of these essential elements:

- Green Lift (Base-to-Mid Mtn): The crew is working this week on accessing the lift's gearbox for maintenance which involves removing the bull wheel with over 100 tons of pressure! The long process of prepping and then painting chairs (yes, they will be green...Dartmouth green ;-) also begins this week. And, over 20 gallons of black paint has been purchased for the towers. This lift will be transformed into a beauty by this fall.

- StarLift Conveyor Lift at the new Nelson Family Learning Center: While the new 170' lift is being manufactured for the new beginner area, Magic will be working with the Trailside Condominium association to approve any necessary land easements to resurrect what was a premier slope for learn-to-ski in the 70s and 80s. We thank Trailside for the positive discussions so far and know this area will be a wonderful asset for all.

- Snowmaking: New steel pipe is on order to increase the pressure we get at the top of the mountain to expand our use of the latest HKD energy efficient snow guns. Work to replace our old leaky pipe in the base area from the pump house can only commence once we receive state Act 250 approval. Other major snowmaking projects (stream, pond and dam) are separately going through various state agency permitting and approval processes and we will let you know the timing on that major capital project which will dramatically increase Magic's water supply to expand snowmaking and grooming off the new mid-mountain lift (and elsewhere) for novices and intermediates. We have been working closely in partnership with the state and our key partners DuBois & King and Tech Environmental.

- Lodge: Beautification of the lodge space and energy efficiency/sustainability are key watchwords as we keep our classic ski lodge feel. This week has been focused on preparing the upper lodge space next to the bar for the latest spray foam technology that creates an air barrier at the roof ceiling level. This has created the opportunity to remove the old low-hung ceiling tiles and create the more natural feeling environment of a ski lodge. We are also beginning work this week on repair of the existing water drainage system off the slope in front of the lodge. And, we reviewed plans for a new deck to replace the existing one during early fall time period. The new deck will provide more space for our customers during the winter and make Magic an even better spot for weddings and other events.

- Summer Fun: We even hope to be able to open up a new disc golf course on the mountain this summer once we get Act 250 approval. The design looks great--lots of exercise and exploring of the mountain on the lower half and super fun for the whole family. The discs and baskets have already been ordered.

REMINDER: Magic will be hosting the Londonderry Fireworks on July 1st. Magic will be in the town's Independence Day parade that morning in downtown Londonderry. Our party kicks off at 5pm at the Black Line Tavern and on the deck/grass area with food and beverages, then GoofyFoot rocks the mountain from the deck at 7p, with SoVT's biggest fireworks at 9:15 and the party/music continuing afterwards.

Our employees are working hard to create a strong and independent Magic, and so, Independence Day always carries extra meaning here.

Hope to see many of you here with family and friends celebrating the birth of our great country!

- Geoff, SKI MAGIC LLC
P.S. For those that haven't ordered season passes, our pre-season rates will save you a lot and can be purchased below. And be sure to pass along our latest updates to your friends who are looking for REAL alternatives to corporate resort skiing! Thanks

dlague

More updates from Magic. And no, I am NOT Geoff......

Progress for the whole family.

Hope every one had a great Father's Day weekend! I know my Dad was the one who made skiing a family sport for the Hatheways. He got me on skis at the age of 3. Every weekend from Thanksgiving to Easter we made the trek up to southern Vermont no matter the weather or the conditions. No basketball or hockey, and no TV up here for us. Just skiing and hanging with family and friends! Thanks Dad!

And, our work here continues on making Magic even better at providing a ski experience the whole family can learn, progress, and never out grow here. We all know the terrain is here for a lifetime of ski adventure, we just need to make parts of it more easily accessible to beginners and intermediates--with the lifts, snowmaking and grooming that less advanced skiers and riders need in order to progress eventually to "the goods" Magic delivers to the East's best skiers and riders. Here's an update of just some of these essential elements:

- Green Lift (Base-to-Mid Mtn): The crew is working this week on accessing the lift's gearbox for maintenance which involves removing the bull wheel with over 100 tons of pressure! The long process of prepping and then painting chairs (yes, they will be green...Dartmouth green ;-) also begins this week. And, over 20 gallons of black paint has been purchased for the towers. This lift will be transformed into a beauty by this fall.

- StarLift Conveyor Lift at the new Nelson Family Learning Center: While the new 170' lift is being manufactured for the new beginner area, Magic will be working with the Trailside Condominium association to approve any necessary land easements to resurrect what was a premier slope for learn-to-ski in the 70s and 80s. We thank Trailside for the positive discussions so far and know this area will be a wonderful asset for all.

- Snowmaking: New steel pipe is on order to increase the pressure we get at the top of the mountain to expand our use of the latest HKD energy efficient snow guns. Work to replace our old leaky pipe in the base area from the pump house can only commence once we receive state Act 250 approval. Other major snowmaking projects (stream, pond and dam) are separately going through various state agency permitting and approval processes and we will let you know the timing on that major capital project which will dramatically increase Magic's water supply to expand snowmaking and grooming off the new mid-mountain lift (and elsewhere) for novices and intermediates. We have been working closely in partnership with the state and our key partners DuBois & King and Tech Environmental.

- Lodge: Beautification of the lodge space and energy efficiency/sustainability are key watchwords as we keep our classic ski lodge feel. This week has been focused on preparing the upper lodge space next to the bar for the latest spray foam technology that creates an air barrier at the roof ceiling level. This has created the opportunity to remove the old low-hung ceiling tiles and create the more natural feeling environment of a ski lodge. We are also beginning work this week on repair of the existing water drainage system off the slope in front of the lodge. And, we reviewed plans for a new deck to replace the existing one during early fall time period. The new deck will provide more space for our customers during the winter and make Magic an even better spot for weddings and other events.

- Summer Fun: We even hope to be able to open up a new disc golf course on the mountain this summer once we get Act 250 approval. The design looks great--lots of exercise and exploring of the mountain on the lower half and super fun for the whole family. The discs and baskets have already been ordered.

REMINDER: Magic will be hosting the Londonderry Fireworks on July 1st. Magic will be in the town's Independence Day parade that morning in downtown Londonderry. Our party kicks off at 5pm at the Black Line Tavern and on the deck/grass area with food and beverages, then GoofyFoot rocks the mountain from the deck at 7p, with SoVT's biggest fireworks at 9:15 and the party/music continuing afterwards.

Our employees are working hard to create a strong and independent Magic, and so, Independence Day always carries extra meaning here.

Hope to see many of you here with family and friends celebrating the birth of our great country!

- Geoff, SKI MAGIC LLC
P.S. For those that haven't ordered season passes, our pre-season rates will save you a lot and can be purchased below. And be sure to pass along our latest updates to your friends who are looking for REAL alternatives to corporate resort skiing! Thanks
You guys are doing nice work.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

JamaicaMan

Thanks. Folks here are working their butts off...I appreciate it!

Thanks. Folks here are working their butts off...I appreciate it!

JamicaMan it's been a solid 72 hours since I've seen painting, welding, digging etc. You guys okay?

JamaicaMan

Been playing golf...ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1498839112.884108.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1498839132.299552.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1498839175.077700.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1498839306.862195.jpg

This was just a little of what's happening this moment...

slatham

So is that 3 or 4 jobs going on simultaneously?? Just amazing. Somebody's eating their Wheaties!

slatham

Little trip report from today. First off, in an age of "fake news", all that we have seen and heard from Magic is real! Significant drainage work around base and lodge will eliminate the periodic glacier.
IMG_3463.jpg

Red is getting some new sheave wheels.

IMG_3471.jpg

Green has seen its engine and gear box removed. The picture on FB of the gear box is the OLD, but in prime shape, gear box.

IMG_3467.jpg

And the entire lift line has been trimmed back, including Green Line.

IMG_3477.jpg

No pics but I saw several holes of the disc golf in place, which is scheduled to open 7/15. The BLT has seen its drop ceiling removed and spray foam insulation applied. Major improvement on top of last years upgrades.

It was also a bee hive of activity getting ready for BLT parting, Goofy Foot, and hopefully fireworks. What a change.

Oh, and they had the best showing at the Londonderry parade!!

IMG_3448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk