• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

rocks860

It's snowing pretty heavy right now in manchester, we're grabbing dinner but hopefully it's doing the same at magic. We're heading back there later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYDB

Back to the thread (not that I don't love VT beers) but how about the display of MARCH snowmaking at Magic! Talk about a new sherif being in town. Hate that they have to do it, but impressed with the commitment. So the next time someone asks if Magic makes snow, tell them "Hell yes, even in March if they have too!"

+1. It's a good message for the future. I am sure there are many people keeping an eye on it for next years pass options and such. Nice gun show!! I am sure they'll have some nice groomers tommorow and if any summit lift won't be on wind hold it will be red

Last edited:

rocks860

Holy crap the drive back from Manchester was not pleasant. Still snowing and pretty windy but I'd say a couple inches so far and the guns are still goin!

rocks860

Pretty rough today. 7 trails open, lots of ice and death cookies. Also cold as hell but still had fun, however gonna call it quits for the day. Can't fee my face

mriceyman

It was bitter in jerzey i cant imAgine vt

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jrmagic

Back to the thread (not that I don't love VT beers) but how about the display of MARCH snowmaking at Magic! Talk about a new sherif being in town. Hate that they have to do it, but impressed with the commitment. So the next time someone asks if Magic makes snow, tell them "Hell yes, even in March if they have too!"
They had the guns running until Monday morning when the temps came up. Was yet another impressive change over the past.

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

bheemsoth

How much do folks think the potential Tuesday storm will help the west side? Is there any base left, or will it fall on bare ground?

Trying to figure out where to hit for a Wednesday day trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WoodCore

Unless they get 2 feet it won't help much! Natural trails are for the most part bare ground.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

NYDB

How much do folks think the potential Tuesday storm will help the west side? Is there any base left, or will it fall on bare ground?

Trying to figure out where to hit for a Wednesday day trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Will they be open wed? I thought 50% of the mountain needed to be open pre storm for a powder day opening. Right now they are at 16.28%

slatham

They got 4" last night which will help a bit - especially in areas that have moguls/base left as the snow will blow/fill in between. But they will need a major storm to get to say 90% (i.e. all but Black Magic and Magician). At this point there is a major storm possible this week so that is good news for sure.

My GUESS is that if they get 12" and can open a significant part of East side the they'd open Wednesday, though I wouldn't rule out waiting until Thursday, especially if it looks to snow more Wed/Wed night - in other words wait until all the snow has fallen.

But if they get 15"+ I would think you'd have West side options and Wednesday would be the day.

Of course I can't make Wed, but there is a chance I can get there for Thursday.

Fingers crosses, snow dances in action, thinking snow!

drjeff

Totally believe that 4" based on the same amount just down the road at Bromley where I'm at now!! Weird, isolated squall last night - literally maybe a 1/2" at my place at Mount Snow when I left this morning - maybe an inch driving by the Sun Bowl at Stratton, and then by the time I got to the base of the Stratton Access Rd and turned into 30 to head up to Bromley that's where it became 3-4" and stayed that way all the way to Bromley

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Totally believe that 4" based on the same amount just down the road at Bromley where I'm at now!! Weird, isolated squall last night - literally maybe a 1/2" at my place at Mount Snow when I left this morning - maybe an inch driving by the Sun Bowl at Stratton, and then by the time I got to the base of the Stratton Access Rd and turned into 30 to head up to Bromley that's where it became 3-4" and stayed that way all the way to Bromley

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

I was watching radar and the Magic cam last night (home sick) and there was a narrow ribbon of snow showers/squalls coming down from the NW and lining up perfectly over Bromley and Magic. Wish I could have gotten up there but hoping for a recovery and snow storm for some late week turns....

Hope your daughter (?) does well in the race today - East Meadow no doubt.

Tin

They got 4" last night which will help a bit - especially in areas that have moguls/base left as the snow will blow/fill in between. But they will need a major storm to get to say 90% (i.e. all but Black Magic and Magician). At this point there is a major storm possible this week so that is good news for sure.

My GUESS is that if they get 12" and can open a significant part of East side the they'd open Wednesday, though I wouldn't rule out waiting until Thursday, especially if it looks to snow more Wed/Wed night - in other words wait until all the snow has fallen.

But if they get 15"+ I would think you'd have West side options and Wednesday would be the day.

Of course I can't make Wed, but there is a chance I can get there for Thursday.

Fingers crosses, snow dances in action, thinking snow!

They are looking at maybe a couple additional inches (1-2") from Wednesday morning-Thursday morning. Vast majority of precip comes before 0z, especially Tuesday afternoon/evening. Ill be there Tuesday night. Lower Twi and Goniff still have snow, as do the usual spots protected spots. That 4" last night will be super helpful for expanding if they get what I think they might get. Opening day we were skiing on trails that were almost bare two days prior then 10". Do Work et al. have done a fantastic job in maintaining trails/woods so that they can open without a ton of snow. Hell, Black Line was fantastic with 12" on it.

Last edited:

slatham

Lets hope those amounts come true. Certainly could. That would put us back in mid winter ski mode, and there may be more cold and snow coming too. As warm as late Feb was, could late March be that anomalously cold??

As I told Geoff a few weeks, I thought that not only would we get another powder day or two, but we'll get one in April, and we'll be skiing on Easter weekend. Hope so!

rocks860

Totally unrelated but a follow up to last week, mm mm

778af5698ed8708fe6ea56604eecab23.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Lets hope those amounts come true. Certainly could. That would put us back in mid winter ski mode, and there may be more cold and snow coming too. As warm as late Feb was, could late March be that anomalously cold??

As I told Geoff a few weeks, I thought that not only would we get another powder day or two, but we'll get one in April, and we'll be skiing on Easter weekend. Hope so!

Josh Fox, MRG wrote about an hour ago: "Boom ! Models track storm farther west and this means 20-30 inches for MRG and most of Vermont"

There is also a strong likelihood of a "conveyor belt" of snow just adding to this through next weekend. Not only should the woods be ski-able, but the roads, cliffs and houses!
I'm heading up this afternoon. Radio silence since there will be no friends for the foreseeable future ;)

Puck it

Josh Fox, MRG wrote about an hour ago: "Boom ! Models track storm farther west and this means 20-30 inches for MRG and most of Vermont"

There is also a strong likelihood of a "conveyor belt" of snow just adding to this through next weekend. Not only should the woods be ski-able, but the roads, cliffs and houses!
I'm heading up this afternoon. Radio silence since there will be no friends for the foreseeable future ;)
koeqla.jpg

SkiingInABlueDream

Is anyone at magic today and/or have an opinion on coverage of the non-snowmaking runs? Im skiing tomorrow, somewhere, possibly magic. I don't expect much leftover fresh but I'd like to ski redline, etc without it being completely sketch.
Thoughts?