• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

jimmywilson69

is the dude selling the 4-pack the one that keeps shitting on them for not completing the lift? I'm not rereading to answer that myself...

tnt1234

odds on Sunday being worth a 4-1/2 hour drive and a hotel?

I've been planning to day trip Sunday, which for me means poconos or catskills, and was really resigned to fighting the crowds at Blu. for a short day. But now I think I can pull off an over-night and head up Saturday. Just trying to figure out if it's gonna be worth the effort.

Unfortunately i think it's gonna be a big gamble...

tnt1234

Hmmm....weather.com winter storm watch calls for 7-17" in Manchester....

drjeff

Hmmm....weather.com winter storm watch calls for 7-17" in Manchester....

If it low sides, with basically no base where they haven't made snow, probably not worth it, and even that might not be enough for Magic's aggressive rope dropping policy to come into much more than low angle stuff opening.... If it high sides, then probably a good deal of ropes drop, and it's worth it... Now if only we knew exactly where the heavier snow bands will set up, and for how long on Saturday night??

MG Skier

Just bring a few pair of skis, I did that in December at Magic and had a blast. Spent the morning remembering how to ski (first day out) on my good skis, transitioned to the not-so-good skis and explored a bit. It was a heck of a first day!

tnt1234

Well, if I wake up Sunday and Magic only got 6" or so, I could always go to Bromly or Okemo. Bromley looks like they have a decent base left, with a fair number of trails open. And they are a little higher elevation, so maybe they catch a little more snow?

We'll see - try to iron out plans tonight, but it kind of feels like it's worth the gamble

Greg

Staff member
odds on Sunday being worth a 4-1/2 hour drive and a hotel?

Unfortunately i think it's gonna be a big gamble...

Same boat more or less, but within 2 1/2. Will need to monitor. May just crash off 91 and make a game day decision as to where.

KustyTheKlown

yea i would love to ski magic sunday if they are able to open things up, but im starting at jay on saturday and staying near burke. driving south on saturday evening or sunday morning sounds dangerous.

MG Skier

yea i would love to ski magic sunday if they are able to open things up, but im starting at jay on saturday and staying near burke. driving south on saturday evening or sunday morning sounds dangerous.

Krusty, I doubt (but I have been wrong before) that ropes drop on West side.....as far a s driving.......Ski Jay Saturday, Drive, at Night, including 91 south High Altitude mark and the stretch through 89 that is up in the clouds (and sticks) = no fun at all. Be safe man!

KustyTheKlown

yea im gonna either do jay x2 or jay + burke. not worth the rush down south in the weather, especially with monday off work and no need to get home super early.

crazy

yea im gonna either do jay x2 or jay + burke. not worth the rush down south in the weather, especially with monday off work and no need to get home super early.

Magic's forecast snow totals keep looking better and better. Not saying that Burke won't be good, I'm just saying.

tnt1234

I don't think I'm going to risk it - looking at what they have open right now, I just don't think even 10-12" is going to open the goods.

I think we'll go to the catskills tomorrow.

I hope I'm wrong and Magic gets 15-20 and goes off tomorrow.

NYDB

I don't think I'm going to risk it - looking at what they have open right now, I just don't think even 10-12" is going to open the goods.

I think we'll go to the catskills tomorrow.

I hope I'm wrong and Magic gets 15-20 and goes off tomorrow.

If by goods you mean double black terrain and majority of trees, then I would say I agree. I'm hoping for all east side minus TZ and goniff plus tali / sorcerer/ wizard all the way and maybe a few low angle Eastside trees. IMO that's best case scenario for tomorrow. Would love to be proved incorrect on the upside. Thinking 7-9 in tonight.

Greg

Staff member
Might be 2 1/2 home after the snow on Sunday for Greg, but would probably be much longer heading up in the snow on Sunday AM if he day tripped it is my guess...

Pretty much. Found it a lot easier to just crash nearby and leisurely make our way to the mountain in the morning. These days often with my with my 13 year old in tow and this approach also allows for invaluable bonding time.

Decided to bag it. Will assess who gets what and head out somewhere Monday. Given the conditions leading up to this storm plus being MLK Sunday, just decided to wait it out and see.

RustyGroomer

Still a little thin but we certainly managed to have a good time. Skis even survived.

IMG_4169.jpg
IMG_4074.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg
IMG_4149.jpg

NYDB

Indeed was fun day. 1st 3 runs untracked/mostly untracked through up your sleeve, mystery and kinder spiel. Couldn't really throw a deep turn but twas super fun. 15-20 min or so redline chair wait from 10-lunch and green had a 5-10 min line at same time. Then after lunch it was ski on to a couple min wait on green and 10 or so on red. Talked to several people with PM lift tickets who were refugees from mt snow and stratton. They were thrilled with the crowd levels at Magic.

Was happy to wait at the bottom to ride with lower skier traffic from the top.

No damage to boards which was a bit of a surprise to be honest.

Last edited: