• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

tnt1234

Wow...incredible.

Trying to get there for Saturday, but hopes are fading. Hunter or Bell might be the best I can do, and they both didn't get rope dropping amounts.

Oh well - someday I'll get to Magic.

urungus

Any comments on the difficulty of Green Line or Slide of Hans? Thinking of giving those a try this weekend. There’s at least one cliff on Green Line if I recall correctly? Can it be skirted? How does it compare to Black Line, last cliff on that was a bit of a challenge for me.

BenedictGomez

The extra day without ski traffic should also get some of the moisture out of the heavy snow. We will have our regular $74 adult ticket pricing for the Powder Day and Friday-Sunday with all our ski trails and glades open.

I saw this writing-on-the-wall, figuring they'd probably be 100% open*, so I snagged $48 tix for Saturday & already booked lodging figuring hotel/motel increases will be coming later this week.

Sadly, it wont be the powder day I thought it would, but at least I'm happy to know Magic'll make extra cash Thursday & Friday.

*wasnt sure about the woods though, but was encouraged due to trip-reports here

makimono

Any comments on the difficulty of Green Line or Slide of Hans? Thinking of giving those a try this weekend. There’s at least one cliff on Green Line if I recall correctly? Can it be skirted? How does it compare to Black Line, last cliff on that was a bit of a challenge for me.
They're both legit expert trails, steep and ungroomed. Yes you can skirt the green line cliff skiers left. If you're at all tentative then just go left and don't drop it, it's not huge but it's more technical than Black, and steep right away so you will accelerate in a hurry.

Awesome that mother nature is smiling on all the hard work Magic's put in, you guys deserve this, we all do! I'll try to make it up Sunday

The Sneak

I am def more of “Wachusett Expert” than a “Magic Expert”, skill-wise...and I stay hard left at that spot and take my time.

Do Work

Both are non groomed, steep and undulating. Hans is more of a double fall line roller type run with fewer surprises. Greenline is a steep run with a cliff band at the top, but it is not a mandatory send- if you stay far left you can pick your way around it. Green has also been widened last year, so there is more to love than ever.

Friday at Magic is tempting...very tempting...Killington with laps on Canyon is also tempting...just the fact that this is even a debate in my mind on November 27th is AWESOME!!!

K reported 8" iirc, and will have 30x the skiers. That decision would be a non-decision for me personally but I'll be the last person to tell you what to do with your time and money.

I saw this writing-on-the-wall, figuring they'd probably be 100% open*, so I snagged $48 tix for Saturday & already booked lodging figuring hotel/motel increases will be coming later this week.

Sadly, it wont be the powder day I thought it would, but at least I'm happy to know Magic'll make extra cash Thursday & Friday.

*wasnt sure about the woods though, but was encouraged due to trip-reports here

Well played sir, well played :beer:. The woods are in rare form right now, knee deep everywhere and a great base. I would wager that there will still be plenty to go around for the weekend, doubly so if you track down Rusty Groomer and follow him like a shadow haha. Everything above the race shack on Showoff is significantly lighter and drier, especially now that we're giving some time for the moisture to leach out- consistency has been described as "more Chugach Velvet than Sierra Cement" with the runouts and extreme lower mountain glades being a little sticky still.

NYDB

Can't make thursday :sadwalk:

Can make fri and sat! :beer: mmmmm....Powder and prime rib.

Sloppy seconds and thirds are some of the best days at Magic in my experience.

Do Work

Can't make thursday :sadwalk:

Can make fri and sat! :beer: mmmmm....Powder and prime rib.

Sloppy seconds and thirds are some of the best days at Magic in my experience.

Powder and prime rib is a must- the only hard decision involved on a day like that is First Drop vs. Fiddlehead vs Conehead. Decisions, decisions, man... Nobody said this would be easy! ;-) :beer: :spread:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Story and a few pics from Saturday, including this one of the prime rib:

prime.jpg

crazy

I was thinking about going on Saturday, but because the mountain is opening tomorrow and a lot of stuff will be tracked out by Saturday I am going to hold off until later in the season.

slatham

I was thinking about going on Saturday, but because the mountain is opening tomorrow and a lot of stuff will be tracked out by Saturday I am going to hold off until later in the season.

This only makes sense if somehow you have been granted 1 and only 1 day at Magic this winter. Otherwise the skiing on Saturday is going to be off the hook, if not a "powder" day. But there will be some of that too if you look hard enough.....

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

Not sure it makes sense even then. Where will you go on Saturday that is less tracked?