• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

Final tower concrete tomorrow. Summit terminal concrete next week. Towers to be flown in week of Nov 4th. Progress! If towers are in by first/second week of Nov I'd say they have a great shot at MLK and an outside chance of Christmas break.

camberstick

Already so much good momentum going on here, hats off to the crew for all the hard work. So happy to see this place building a solid future

slatham

Emailed today:

This last week has seen a ton of progress on the Black Line Quad as well as our new Brook Pump installation. This week we finish up the last of the concrete footings for the lift towers, with top terminal getting poured next week. Logistically, it's been a very tough getting cement to some of these tower locations on the steeps of Magic, but with these final concrete placements, we will be ready to fly a helicopter to install the towers after next week. When the towers do fly, we will keep you posted, but the mountain must remain closed and clear of vehicle and pedestrian traffic while the helicopter is flying out of our parking lot on to the mountain for safety reasons. The only place we will allow people to gather to watch will be restricted to the Black Line Tavern and our deck. Access to the deck must come through the lower lodge entrance only. The airspace must be free of traffic as well, so there will be no drones allowed over the Magic airspace and we thank our neighbors and friends for their cooperation when this operation takes place. We will update plans as we get closer with weather conditions playing a major role in final timing.

The new Brook pump house is also coming together with the building constructed and insulated this week. Pump drive install and electric hook up will be completed by November so we can add a new water supply into our pond in time for snowmaking season as we continue to "make better magic" for our skiers and riders.

p_levert

Props to Jamaicaman for some effective marketing. And, yes, you beat out Stowe!

slatham

Stowe was #18 so I wouldn't feel too badly...

That emoji was the look of shock that Magic was listed at all. I mean I love the place, but its not your typical (or historical) type of area to show up on such lists. But like MRG, its vibe and terrain score enough to overcome the lack of resort "amenities". I didn't think the readers of Ski Mag had that much "throwback" in them.

slatham

Helicopter arrived today. Flying towers tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good weather!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeB-Z

Looks like they are done! It would be fun to see a time lapse video.

drjeff

i dont know anything about how this is supposed to go, but that seems super efficient.

The majority of copter assisted lift construction work, from flying towers and cross arms to if they so chose to fly concrete to the tower forms (Magic didn't in the Black's construction) does go very efficiently, as those heavy lift copters AREN'T cheap to rent, and are in high demand. It's not uncommon to hear that a copter arriving to place towers has to be delayed due to the copter being needed for things like large scale storm recovery efforts or air water drops for wild fire fighting

The efficiency from the standpoint of the spectator, almost always is a direct result of meticulous planning by the installation crew ahead of time, plenty of skilled teams on the ground to receive and set the tower's once the copter has flown them to the waiting pad, and lastly, and certainly not the least, a copter pilot with some incredible skills and an amazing amount of depth perception as he/she nears the tower pad with the tower hanging and swaying from the cable below as they're either looking out the window of the copter or in some cases though a "see through" floor so that the tower can be safely delivered, in the proper orientation to the crew waiting with their bolts and torque wrenches to get the tower secured on the pad and allow the pilot to release the cable used to transport the tower, so that the pilot can quickly fly back down to the staging area and pick up the next lift.

It's certainly efficient, and that's all about the numerous hours of meticulous work and planning that had happened in the months leading up to the copter arriving on site