• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ShadyGrove

Any ideas of what survived the mini melt?

hoping there is enough left to make friday snow enjoyable

I suspect by Friday they have have Carpet, Trick, Showoff, and Hocus Pocus open. The natural trails may have coverage but the conditions may be coral-like.

Do Work

Any ideas of what survived the mini melt?

hoping there is enough left to make friday snow enjoyable

Snowmaking trails are fatter than they've ever been. Natural snow has mostly consolidated and frozen, which will make an ideal base. We lost some in rocky spots where the chocolate chips are showing through, but it looks to stay cold until we get snow hopefully Friday night into Saturday. If that's the case, skiing and riding will be among the best it's ever been here in December.

bdfreetuna

How about posting snow conditions on the site? I can guess, but it's nice to hear how it is up there from a straight shooter before you go.

Works both ways... I might assume you're icy when you aren't!

WoodCore

I’ll be there tomorrow and will post a report with pics!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JoeB-Z

How about posting snow conditions on the site? I can guess, but it's nice to hear how it is up there from a straight shooter before you go.

Works both ways... I might assume you're icy when you aren't!

It is really good everywhere. Not much fresh snow, but I saw people heading into really hairy woods so it must be good there. Everything edgeable and a lot open. Very busy today, especially the bar!

I just cannot imagine anyone disappointed tomorrow. No lines today but apparently they are ready to go with the black lift if needed.

This must have been as big a weekday as Magic has had in a while, let alone a 5 degree weekday. Hundreds of people with day tickets and smiles!

IceEidolon

I'm debating driving up and car camping on my days off. It sounds like it would be worth it!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

It is really good everywhere. Not much fresh snow, but I saw people heading into really hairy woods so it must be good there. Everything edgeable and a lot open. Very busy today, especially the bar!

I just cannot imagine anyone disappointed tomorrow. No lines today but apparently they are ready to go with the black lift if needed.

This must have been as big a weekday as Magic has had in a while, let alone a 5 degree weekday. Hundreds of people with day tickets and smiles!

Pretty good. If you can deliver me an 8" core sample of the base snow for my close examination I'll be there tomorrow.

Think I'll be riding the Skye Ship tomorrow but be up there soon for sure!

JoeB-Z

Pretty good. If you can deliver me an 8" core sample of the base snow for my close examination I'll be there tomorrow.

Think I'll be riding the Skye Ship tomorrow but be up there soon for sure!

The most I can say is I didn't bother to touch up my edges tonight. That is just a 10 minute frigid trip to the garage.

I did see a closed and glazed trail (the lower part of Witch). I shouted my appreciation to a yeoman patroller that was breaking that crap up with the old fashioned sidestep method. That is work.

Euler

Great day today. Natural terrain was riding well. The inch or 2 of new snow really freshened it up. Fun day with fam. Bar was jamming when i rolled out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using AlpineZone mobile app
Agreed! I was looking for some mellow trees and found them in "The Hallows" plenty of snow in there, but the stuff not yet tracked out was pretty consolidated...not icy at all, but tough to turn in. Other highlights were Talisman....loaded with small, mellow bumps top to bottom; and Twilight Zone....just enough snow to be able to get a flow going, but not enough snow to quite cover ALL the rocks. Really fun everywhere we skied. I was surprised how tolerable the temps were. No wind plus pure sunshine helped with that! I'm super happy with my decision to buy a pass at Magic this year....I've been able to use it for three fabulous days there already and it's still December (for a few more hours :grin: ) Happy New Year All!!

Agreed! I was looking for some mellow trees and found them in "The Hallows" plenty of snow in there, but the stuff not yet tracked out was pretty consolidated...not icy at all, but tough to turn in. Other highlights were Talisman....loaded with small, mellow bumps top to bottom; and Twilight Zone....just enough snow to be able to get a flow going, but not enough snow to quite cover ALL the rocks. Really fun everywhere we skied. I was surprised how tolerable the temps were. No wind plus pure sunshine helped with that! I'm super happy with my decision to buy a pass at Magic this year....I've been able to use it for three fabulous days there already and it's still December (for a few more hours :grin: ) Happy New Year All!!

It’s amazing what a lift design to be protected by trees will do for the comfort on the way up. Not sure what was going through the minds of every every hill when they took all the trees down.

Rowsdower

It’s amazing what a lift design to be protected by trees will do for the comfort on the way up. Not sure what was going through the minds of every every hill when they took all the trees down.

That's more an age thing I think. Magic's liftlines are all the old original lines. None of this clear cutting junk that became popular in the 80s. But back in the day thats the way pretty much all NE mountains were: narrow. I guess to preserve snow.

I guess the exception would be Black Line. Black Magic is nice and narrow but once you come down onto Black Line proper its a wide open clear cut. IMO I like Black Magic more than Black Line itself because of that.

slatham

That's more an age thing I think. Magic's liftlines are all the old original lines. None of this clear cutting junk that became popular in the 80s. But back in the day thats the way pretty much all NE mountains were: narrow. I guess to preserve snow.

I guess the exception would be Black Line. Black Magic is nice and narrow but once you come down onto Black Line proper its a wide open clear cut. IMO I like Black Magic more than Black Line itself because of that.

More to it than just narrow. Black Lift is low, and tight to lookers right to the tree line to minimize predominant West to Northwest winds. Of course Red is low and tight all around running up a corridor of tall trees.

Great skiing at Magic this holiday season. They are set up to deliver some serious goods if we can get a storm or two. Hats off to Geoff, Matt and crew.

makimono

Today was my first time up to magic this year. Really impressed at the dozens of little (and some big) improvements everywhere you look, very cool.

I had my K2 5500's running sooo fast this morning with the perfect wax and when I went to click in for the competition one of the 30 year old marker heels broke in half :( still managed a squirrelly 62 mph on the Lhasa Pow's with all temp wax from last season. I think the top speed was 70 even. Fun time!

bdfreetuna

Today was my first time up to magic this year. Really impressed at the dozens of little (and some big) improvements everywhere you look, very cool.

I had my K2 5500's running sooo fast this morning with the perfect wax and when I went to click in for the competition one of the 30 year old marker heels broke in half :( still managed a squirrelly 62 mph on the Lhasa Pow's with all temp wax from last season. I think the top speed was 70 even. Fun time!

Curious where you hit such high speeds at Magic