• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

MEtoVTSkier

I am not spoiled and I am not a nerd. Please stop with this. When they build up so much “hype” around something like this new quad and promise it, they should be able to deliver on it. Clearly due to difficult circumstances they couldn’t. Okay. Why wasn’t an apology email sent out to their pass holders or at least a note. At least Win did something like this when he stopped running GMX midweek. Until recently it was all a mystery and the lift was still expected to open for this year. I actually had a part in the planning of this process back in 2018. It’s a long story, but I’ve been following this whole project for awhile now and care about it.

Sure ya did... ;-)

:lol::lol::lol:

Domeskier

I actually had a part in the planning of this process back in 2018. It’s a long story, but I’ve been following this whole project for awhile now and care about it.

Sure ya did... ;-)

:lol::lol::lol:

I have no reason to doubt that Magic Mountain would consult a 12-year-old in planning major infrastructure projects, but I sure would like to hear the rest of the story.

Slidebrook87

I have no reason to doubt that Magic Mountain would consult a 12-year-old in planning major infrastructure projects, but I sure would like to hear the rest of the story.

Here’s essentially what happened:

So the manager of base facilities also worked as a waitress at a restaurant we used to go to. She heard I was into lifts and mountain ops after talking and told me that they were looking for a lift to replace the Black Chair. I told them that Stratton was looking to remove Snow Bowl and Burke was removing Willoughby. I sent her a long email about the two lifts and she showed it to the GM. He then emailed me back and eventually they worked a deal out with Stratton. I didn’t exactly choose the lift but I had a minor role in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domeskier

Here’s essentially what happened:

So the manager of base facilities also worked as a waitress at a restaurant we used to go to. She heard I was into lifts and mountain ops after talking and told me that they were looking for a lift to replace the Black Chair. I told them that Stratton was looking to remove Snow Bowl and Burke was removing Willoughby. I sent her a long email about the two lifts and she showed it to the GM. He then emailed me back and eventually they worked a deal out with Stratton. I didn’t exactly choose the lift but I had a minor role in the process.

You should have recommended a funicular. Just imagine taking a train to the top of Black Magic. I know I am!

Smellytele

Was there ever an actual "promise" that they would have it installed this year?
There bad business decision was to take the word of a contractor. They were lied to and passed the lie on in their excitement.

As far as the death of the contractor - wasn't that with the green chair?

Slidebrook87

Was there ever an actual "promise" that they would have it installed this year?
There bad business decision was to take the word of a contractor. They were lied to and passed the lie on in their excitement.

As far as the death of the contractor - wasn't that with the green chair?

I believe it was the green chair. Here’s a link to the “promise” they made encouraging people to buy a season pass: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxPxrP3lmba/?igshid=1n8n5vez0hc9x

Along with this there were multiple #quadcoming hashtags as well as #makewayforthequad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEtoVTSkier

I still fail to see the issue, especially as some think it pertained to "Season Pass" purchases. Delays happen. At Killington, weren't both the Snowdon 6, and the South Ridge Quad BOTH finished behind schedule? (Never mind the tunnel work..) The Snowdon Triple was being worked on TWO winters in a row before they finally called that job complete. Poma relocation took longer than expected... You can buy a pass with the expectation of some upgrades being completed at some point, but to bitch and complain that any delays were intentional, or that Management over promised just to try to sell a couple extra passes is ridiculous, and anyone who thought they were defrauded in some way, shape or form, is just being an ass.

Last edited:

MEtoVTSkier

AdironRider

So where is the statement that it was going to be 100% guaranteed that the Quad was going to be operational this season?

Don't be obtuse, that is exactly what that ad meant and you know it.

I highly doubt this kid though made any impact on them buying said chair from Stratton though. I missed that and had to laugh.

MEtoVTSkier

I'm not being obtuse, you're being an ASS!

I have no dog in the fight as I didn't buy a pass at Magic this year. But I did read all the emails and ads and information, and I NEVER saw or read anything that looked like a "Hey come buy a Seasons Pass, we'll have that new lift running before the end of season, bet your life savings on it!!"

Nobody, is EVER going to try to make a sale like that, just for the reasons that played out here... and installations all over. SHIT HAPPENS! And sometimes things don't get completed by expected/planned deadlines.

bdfreetuna

Is Magician closed today due to lack of snow/coverage or does it need to soften up?

curious because I was hoping to take my wife on it Sunday

drjeff

The lack of communication from Magic Management has been beyond frustrating! Total black hole! WFT. I buy a season pass and I never hear from them again? I think I'm going to ski Mt Snow - they really nailed it this year when it comes to communicating with the skiing public!;-):grin::snow::spread:
LOL!!

And your sarcasm is awesome, just wish the wasn't so true these days of my home hill about 20 miles as the bird flies South of Magic, where we've gone in the last 3 years from arguably one of the most openly communicative GM's who encouraged her designated team heads to be as open with communications as well, to a GM who while doesn't like the public spot light very much let his designated team members communicate with guests quite alot and effectively, to now new ownership who are about a full 180* turn in communication style as the previous owners let happen

Kudos to Geoff and how he effectively communicates with his guests (and social media) which is just as great as all of the on mountain improvements he's helped bring about and oversee!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Kudos to Geoff and how he effectively communicates with his guests (and social media)\

If I was in his or Win S position I'd be issuing blanket bans to anyone participating on this forum.

Anyway I'd love if my question about Magician gets answered instead of buried in this. How's the base holding up in the woods compared to last Sunday? Looks like everything's still open.

I'm pumped for my next ski day @ Magic on sunday!

Vaughn

Anyway I'd love if my question about Magician gets answered instead of buried in this. How's the base holding up in the woods compared to last Sunday? Looks like everything's still open.

I'm pumped for my next ski day @ Magic on sunday!

Hoping to get there tomorrow or Saturday, would like to know just how icy this is going to be also.