• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

cdskier

So are there actually any legitimate pass-holders that bought a pass solely because they thought there would be a quad and are now pissed? I somehow don't think there's going to be many people falling into that scenario...

Lynxy Woods

Apparently no one here skied Magic in the mid-late 80s. Lines were long and they had life guard chairs set up at the lift and we played Trivial Pursuit and won bags of Smartfood to pass the time.

The Sneak

I was there on a holiday Monday a couple of weeks ago, with a race going on to boot, yet Red was never more than a 5 minute wait. Full parking lot. Not a single spider incident either, try that at Stratton.

Problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

urungus

How is the new Pitch Black trail ? And how does it rank in difficulty compared to Black Magic, Magician, Green Line ? (I’ve never had the nerve to make it down any of those 3)

skicub

Fun morning today, though it was a bit crispy in the shade. Friendly atmosphere and some great terrain. They definitely need some snow on naturals, but most of the East side was in great shape, considering the weather. This is lower wizard and green line.IMG_7210.jpg IMG_7214.jpgIMG_7209.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

NYDB

Pitch black is probably about on par with magician and green line as far as skiability. No mandatory air. No severe ledges you cant ski around on trail in flow. Very skiable for a strong intermediate I think. At least with good snow coverage.

Black Magic is the toughest trail at Magic by far IMO. A couple of big ledges, with spots you can barely scoot around the edges by dipping into the trees if you need to. But to ski it proper requires 2 (maybe 3?) mandatory drops which require commitment. After that it's all easy peasy.
How is the new Pitch Black trail ? And how does it rank in difficulty compared to Black Magic, Magician, Green Line ? (I’ve never had the nerve to make it down any of those 3)

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

MMP

More importantly, WTF is going on with the pinball machine. I was PROMISED this would be operational by MLK weekend.

2111d0aa0b64a4f43eac58a6e8b6ecc1.jpg

And for the record: whistler installed Peak to Peak in less time. Pffft.

RustyGroomer

So are there actually any legitimate pass-holders that bought a pass solely because they thought there would be a quad and are now pissed? I somehow don't think there's going to be many people falling into that scenario...

I'm so pissed i'm going to head right up there & ski in a silly 80's outfit tomorrow.

Apparently no one here skied Magic in the mid-late 80s. Lines were long and they had life guard chairs set up at the lift and we played Trivial Pursuit and won bags of Smartfood to pass the time.

Haven't had Smartfood since. The single Twix bars were better. :)

Pitch Black (PB) TM, is really awesome. Much better than I thought. Going to be a banner pic spot from the lift. Like Dirtbag said, more skiable. Nice flow. Should be able to point it & head for Black.

More importantly, WTF is going on with the pinball machine. I was PROMISED this would be operational by MLK weekend.

2111d0aa0b64a4f43eac58a6e8b6ecc1.jpg

I read somewhere Mammoth put in an escalator. I really hope that's in the plans for Magic.

MMP

I'm so pissed i'm going to head right up there & ski in a silly 80's outfit tomorrow.

I read somewhere Mammoth put in an escalator. I really hope that's in the plans for Magic.

Barged into a managers meeting yesterday to demand answers on the pinball machine. Probably should have gotten answers on the lift too.

Escalator? That’s how they do it “out west”

RustyGroomer

Knowing you i'm sure you got a guarantee along with that demand. solid work.

Still pissed. Might head over later to break some windows n shit. Or ski, either one.

MMP

Knowing you i'm sure you got a guarantee along with that demand. solid work.

Still pissed. Might head over later to break some windows n shit. Or ski, either one.

Kinda sunny and warm. No new lift though, should probably stay away.

urungus

Pitch black is probably about on par with magician and green line as far as skiability. No mandatory air. No severe ledges you cant ski around on trail in flow. Very skiable for a strong intermediate I think. At least with good snow coverage.

Black Magic is the toughest trail at Magic by far IMO. A couple of big ledges, with spots you can barely scoot around the edges by dipping into the trees if you need to. But to ski it proper requires 2 (maybe 3?) mandatory drops which require commitment. After that it's all easy peasy.

Hmm, not sure that an intermediate skier should be heading down Magician or Green Line, no matter how good the coverage.

Vaughn

Skied Magic all day.

The good: the groomed trails with snowmaking were great fun. Icy and stiff at first but they softened right up. Trick and Talisman and the bottom half of Black Line (below Link, maybe Hocus Pocus) were great. Upper Wizard excellent conditions.

The bad: the double blacks are all shot and I can't see how they open. Magicians, Black Line are more rocks than snow. Didn't go into any glades but the Hallows were open. Sleight of Hans was open but the bottom (as seen from Lower Wizard) was pipes and a stream with one small area to get off the trail. I did not try it. Twilight Zone was open but I didn't see anyone on it and the bottom looked rough. Goniff looked ok from Trick but Witches was closed so you couldn't get to it anyways.

The other: The far east trails were all thin cover, but honestly pretty fun while skiing around bare ground patches and slushy snow. Lower Wizard was open but again, lots of thin cover and one big ass rock right in the middle of the trail, sort of stupid. Sorcerer was open and as easy as its ever been as it was mostly soft little piles of snows and not real (exhausting) moguls. Lower Magician was the same but easier of course. Still fun.

Great mountain. Longest wait was two chairs. The red lift is slow so I will enjoy the new faster one - next year.

MMP

Skied Magic all day.

The good: the groomed trails with snowmaking were great fun. Icy and stiff at first but they softened right up. Trick and Talisman and the bottom half of Black Line (below Link, maybe Hocus Pocus) were great. Upper Wizard excellent conditions.

The bad: the double blacks are all shot and I can't see how they open. Magicians, Black Line are more rocks than snow. Didn't go into any glades but the Hallows were open. Sleight of Hans was open but the bottom (as seen from Lower Wizard) was pipes and a stream with one small area to get off the trail. I did not try it. Twilight Zone was open but I didn't see anyone on it and the bottom looked rough. Goniff looked ok from Trick but Witches was closed so you couldn't get to it anyways.

The other: The far east trails were all thin cover, but honestly pretty fun while skiing around bare ground patches and slushy snow. Lower Wizard was open but again, lots of thin cover and one big ass rock right in the middle of the trail, sort of stupid. Sorcerer was open and as easy as its ever been as it was mostly soft little piles of snows and not real (exhausting) moguls. Lower Magician was the same but easier of course. Still fun.

Great mountain. Longest wait was two chairs. The red lift is slow so I will enjoy the new faster one - next year.

I was there yesterday and conditions were great if too thin for this time of year. That said, Sorcerer, TZ, BlackLine (though closed) all skied great. Its patch skiing, but softened nicely. UYS skied well but the runout gets sloppy if it gets too warm, only skied that 1X, The lower part of the mountain softened early and if you skied Green you could hit. Mystery Bowl, Kinder, Show Off, etc, and have hero snow all the way down.

Place was empty, only rode the lift one guy all day. Retired dentist, probably on TGR.

Props to lift op Alex. He shovels nonstop to keep a good loading area. Maybe too much, but too much work? I'll take it.

Pinball still not operational as of 4:30 pm.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Today was fun up there, took my wife and we talked about the family friendly atmosphere and great learning area.

Conditions were thin spring with everything from ice to bare and usually plenty of snow in between. My wife was up for some adventure, happy to pick her way through a very-thin and options-limited Wardrobe, a pretty-slick Talisman, and a "I can't believe they opened this" Magician. I did tell my wife to go around and take Broomstick but she followed me down before I knew it -- quite the challenge for both of us actually with most of the trail being rock/bare or a flow of ice sheets and really just a narrow single-width pitch on the left side to skid+jump down.

So after that Heart of Magician skied like butter. Soft bumps with some bare here and there, but man was this a playful run, moguls made of butter and just carving up these natural features. Sorcerer was great as well, more of a typical mogul formation at play.

Run of the day I'm torn between Goniff Glade. The trail always wows me in how great the pitch is and moguls are, one of my favorite fall lines anywhere. Conditions were a little sporty but just made me ski it harder.

Other run of the day was Seance > White Kitten. Seance had "great"(thin) coverage and a nice surfy flow to it, then you pop out above Green... I was actually glad to see White Tiger was closed because after last week I know they'd be nuts to have it open (even for Magic), so we went into White Kitten instead and that was a nice combination.

Looks like the fat lady's warming up her vocal chords but the 2 trips I got to Magic over the last week will definitely reinforce a positive notion when I'm planning for next season and future skiing for our family.

My wife being a trooper..
Magic-Pa.jpg

jimmywilson69

way to go Tuna... My wife would still be yelling at me if She was in the position your wife is in depicted in that picture :lol:

Vaughn

That's cool that they dropped the rope on Magician - from the top it looked pretty unskiable on Friday but I guess they were saving it for the weekend guests.

Where did the race on Black Line start? At the top? That cliff band above Link looked like it would be a bottleneck but maybe I'm thinking too conservatively about where you could have skied on it.

bdfreetuna

That's cool that they dropped the rope on Magician - from the top it looked pretty unskiable on Friday but I guess they were saving it for the weekend guests.

Didn't open up until enough sun warmed it up early afternoon. I always in favor of runs being open (with a warning sign or whatever) but this was pretty hairy even once it "softened up". Glad we got to ski it though.